Lore
11-30-2010, 07:58 PM
gPkUilho6Rw

Lore
11-30-2010, 07:58 PM
holy hell freeze frame

Toushiro
11-30-2010, 08:04 PM
Just what I wanted to do, watch Lore on my 20th birthday wish come true lol.

Gravy
11-30-2010, 08:05 PM
holy hell freeze frame

I would pay to see your high school pictures.

Krenian
11-30-2010, 08:11 PM
Just what I wanted to do, watch Lore on my 20th birthday wish come true lol.

If that's the case...

Seek help.

Toushiro
11-30-2010, 08:16 PM
If that's the case...

Seek help.

holy crap a funny Canadian. o-O

Kahmal
11-30-2010, 10:29 PM
"Amazing for Raiding" that, I can't really say that...but yea it wasn't all bad.
Naxx was lame
I have yet to forgive Blizzard for giving us Trial of the Crusader....

No one can argue about Ulduar being great and I "did" love Icecrown. I didn't mind ICCs gating too much but as for the Ulduar vs. Icecrown Hardmodes, it seemed like Ulduar's Hardmodes were developed first and the normal modes were just a result of mechanics taken out. ICC was the opposite just adding a few mechanics or maybe only one into the mix.

I personally think that the ICC buff completely soiled the instance though once it got to about 15%, being able to ignore Sindragosa mechanics and trivializing one of the best encounters in the game HM Putrecide. I just dont see why it had to added to Hardmodes. I'll admit I was grateful for it in 10 man hardmodes just to help friends get 264 gear and gear alts, but it was dumb in 25.

This is coming from a BC fanboi tho

Eoika
12-01-2010, 12:30 AM
Reminded me to go watch a day9 daily.

Aberen
12-01-2010, 12:31 AM
I love watching these but sometimes don't have the time, is there plans for written transcripts? It would also be cool so we could copy paste quotes out of context...:)

Zarekk
12-01-2010, 01:34 AM
Love the recap for the WOLK experience! I wish mine was as memorable. I think WOTLK was my worst expac.

Kahmal
12-01-2010, 01:41 AM
Love the recap for the WOLK experience! I wish mine was as memorable. I think WOTLK was my worst expac.

Lol I'm pretty sure even Lore would agree, but you know how he's the positive and optimistic one :D

Bigbad
12-01-2010, 04:45 AM
Nom nom nom content :D

Mačl
12-01-2010, 05:51 AM
Yeah, YMMV.
I never seriously got into Ulduar since my guild got burned out on Naxx. We had a couple of members(me included) who seriously did Naxx at 60(having downed all but 4 bosses in Naxx was very hardcore back then) and some even went to Naxx at level 70. So we got very bored very soon very early in the expansion. Some tried Aion, some tried real life. I found Plants vs. Zombies more appealing than Naxx tbh.

Malygos has to be the least killed boss in the whole expansion. What were they thinking? I suddenly sat on a drake without even been given time to hover my mouse over the abilities. When you raid you play your character like a musical instrument. They basically gave a pianist a banjo and shoved them onto the stage. Not cool. I don't care if you could train drake driving on a daily quest. It simply wasn't the same. And by that point people had given up on that quest altogether since it simply was only annoying. Stupid, stupid, fail, fail.

That nameless black dragon dude in teh obsidian sanctum was a trash boss at best. Yeah, you see that wall of flame? The silly bugger forogt to finish it. Be where there's no orange stuff going on and mind the adds. I never did that boss +3d. I didn't get the point. Pointless. It simply felt forced. Just my opinion.

After my guild ceased to exist as a raiding guild and turned into something very casual I found a raid for Ulduar. We 10 manned it for about 3 weeks before ToC came. ToC didn't fit in anywhere. The story was stupid. The bosses were stupid. The lengthy scripted intros were stupid. The gear added a gear level that wasn't planned for. I pugged ToC and raided Ulduar with my raid group. We did a few hardmodes in there but quickly came to the conclusion that it simply wasn't worth it. Want lvl 245 gear? Yeah, pug it in a 25 man.

Then there was beautiful, beautiful ICC. I have to admit I'm kinda sick of it. But I had two characters that raided there. Both 10man and 25man. That's 4 separate raids for the same content.

If you want to compare raiding content between WotLK and BC you'd have to compare T4 vs. T7. There was no T5 equivalent at the release of WotLK. And that's exactly what went wrong. Hardmodes and 10man vs. 25man don't replace a complete tier.

Cata goes a different path. The odd ilvl distinction between 10man and 25man is gone(25man was just 6ilvl under 10man in the next tier but the difference between 10man and 25man of the same level was 13 ilvls). There seem to be more raids that are a bit shorter. Ulduar had a bazillion bosses as did ICC. I'd rather have two shorter raids instead one lengthy one. This also seems to change.

When it comes to class mechanics WotLK was better than BC(with the exceptions of paladins and DKs at the beginning). Gear distribution was better. They tried a lot and learned a lot from it. It wasn't a bad expansion but the fact that they tried and learned so much propably makes Cataclysm a better expansion than it would have been otherwise. This sentence even confuses me. Where BC was a fairly conservative expansion(the revolutionary stuff included paladins can tank and can be horde and that's about it), WotLK was bold. It failed in some places and it succeeded in most. If Cataclysm only gave us lots and lots of polish and simply expanded on WotLK then it would be a very good expansion. Simply because WotLK WAS so revolutionary.

My personal highlight(speaking as a healing priest):
I could actually do stuff with the gear I got in raids. Ever tried questing in vanilla/BC healing gear as a healer? That was huge for me. Never really bothered with rep grind in BC because it would have involved me spending DKP on DPS gear just to be able to kill stuff. And I didn't want to run Kara again so I could gear up for being able to do quests.

Dual specs wasn't actually needed in my case. Sure it was nice being able to switch between Disc and Holy, Prot and Fury. But I had my mainspec and if I couldn't use it, I wouldn't come. Simple as that. YMMV.

That's WotLK for me. And everybody else will have had a different experience.

Bung
12-01-2010, 05:59 AM
I bought wow just before WOTK so unfortunately I can't compare previous expansions. Being on a bad server at the time WOTLK came out I did Naxx for about 4-5 months. It wasn't overly easy for the people on that server. When we finally got the whole place down it was memorable. Ulduar seemed to get skipped by a lot of people, which I guess was a real shame. Because most guilds were still doing naxx and Toc came out relatively soon after Ulduar a lot of raiders on my server skipped Ulduar. I guess to the idea that level 245 gear was available in Toc was more appealing than the 219 level gear in Ulduar. Toc wasn't exactly easy on this server. Many people failed on the worms in the first fight. At some point after ICC came out it seemed that TOC got easier. Icc to me was awesome. I transffered servers and pugged LK kills. First LK kill was extremely memorable. Can't wait for CATA!

Jocasta
12-01-2010, 01:58 PM
Ulduar was hands down the best raiding in the Lk xpac imho. The encounters were interesting, the place is downright gorgeous, and there were so many different ways to tackle the place as a whole that it almost felt like a new raid every week. I also very much enjoyed the way that a group activated hardmodes in that you didn't click a button it was the way the group downed the boss. I still go back to that place most weeks because I liked it so much.

ICC had good encounters overall but seemed to get old quickly. For people on my server (shoutout to Gorefiend), that raid was more about the gear than the encounters which is kind of a shame. I will distinctly remember Sindragosa for a long time to come. We were hung up on that fight for so long we didn't want to go back for a while after the first kill. I hope to never see that fight ever again. Lich King was an interesting concept (<3 defile. A real pain until you get used to it but the defile/valk dance you had to do was fun) and in terms of lore the cut scene was epic. I took an alt back into dragonblight to play the wrathgate chain again just because of that scene which was very cool.

magesmash
12-01-2010, 04:17 PM
Lore,

Thanks for the review... after playing this game for 2+ years and only raiding in the LK expansion pack. I agree with your summary.
My guild is not hard core... and only recently I can say I have completed all of the raid content in WOLK, and I proudly wear my Kingslayer title.

This was a great game and Uldaur is still my favorite, I'm still taking my guild through and working on Hard Mode achievements which very few guilds have completed on our server. For more casual guilds the time between Uldaur and ToC wasn't long enough. It didn't matter what ToC was like it had better gear and that is all everybody cared about... so there was no hurry to go back and finish or do hard modes in Uldaur.

Anyways... I can say I have completed WOLK and I'm going to put the game back on the shelf... spending more time with family and work. I wish you and your readers the best with Cataclysm.

jafager
12-01-2010, 06:41 PM
I think one of the problems with Wrath content is that Blizzard tried to bring everybody into the raid game without realizing that a large percentage of the WoW population is incapable of playing the game to any meaningful standard of skill.

Blizzard has already said that top guilds are something like ten times as good as your average guild. I'm pretty sure that when they say "average guild", they mean "average successful guild". If you add in all the guilds that spent weeks wiping on Four Horsemen or Thaddius or Northrend Beasts or Deathbringer Saurfang, the spread is probably more like a hundred or even two hundred to one.

I have no idea how you balance around that kind of performance gap. I think the lesson of Wrath is that if you try, you will almost certainly fail.

Mhoram
12-01-2010, 11:29 PM
So where's the review of the expansion? All I heard was a review of things that came out after the expansion was out. Where's the review of the rep system? Phased content? The new zones? New quest mechanics? Vehicles (other than the Malygos fight)? Death Knights?

Next time you're going to review something, review it. Don't just take a stroll down memory lane to kill time on a video.

Meloree
12-02-2010, 06:37 AM
I'm pretty surprised that you'ld describe ToGC with the phrase "everything was incredibly hard". But Beasts/Jaraxxus/Champions introduced the concept of the "1-shot hardmode", something they really ran with for ICC. Twins was the first boss in ToGC that could in any way qualify as "difficult", and it wasn't THAT rough. Anub'arak, certainly, was hard, as befits an end-boss. But generally the instance was joke-easy compared to Ulduar hardmodes.

Berzerker
12-02-2010, 07:42 AM
I have to admit I'm kinda sick of it. But I had two characters that raided there. Both 10man and 25man. That's 4 separate raids for the same content.

This argument is one of several that always just stuns me.

It falls into the same category as people who raid 7 nights a week and complain that they got burned out because they never had time to do anything else; people who rush through new levels at an expansion and complain that there isn't enough to do at max level yet, or that the levelling experience wasn't very exciting; people who ran 25 man raids to gear up and then complained that 10 man raids were too easy...

On the upside, cata will solve the problem of "having" to do both 10s and 25s every week.

Xebu
12-02-2010, 10:30 AM
Really enjoyed this video Lore, nice way to wrap up the expansion.

Farewell Wrath!

p.s.: nom nom content

Mačl
12-03-2010, 12:58 PM
This argument is one of several that always just stuns me.

It falls into the same category as people who raid 7 nights a week and complain that they got burned out because they never had time to do anything else; people who rush through new levels at an expansion and complain that there isn't enough to do at max level yet, or that the levelling experience wasn't very exciting; people who ran 25 man raids to gear up and then complained that 10 man raids were too easy...

On the upside, cata will solve the problem of "having" to do both 10s and 25s every week.
Yeah, I burned out after just two months. Leading two of those raids didn't help either. Could you believe there was drama about the abom blood in a raid that had no ambition to complete Shadowmourne whatsoever? After two months I had to FORCE this stuff onto people.

Running 10 mans in 25 man gear trivialized content. 10 man raids were in no way easier than 25 man raids. Gut feeling tells me the 30% buff was much stronger in 10 man raids. Trouble is, itemization sucked between 10 and 25 man. For instance there are a couple healer one-handers in ICC10 but no healer offhand. They did the same thing in ToC10 and 25. 10 man raids had stuff that was pretty much BIS when obtained in heroic mode. OTOH there also was BIS stuff in 25 man. Shields and trinkets were the worst offenders here. If you had yourself convinced you'd suck/fall behind/mommy won't love you anymore if you didn't have what was considered BIS then you were pretty much screwed.
Small wonder everybody was keen on 10man hard modes. Relatively low hanging fruit. Apart from Putricide, Sindy and of course LK.

Kahmal
12-04-2010, 01:40 AM
One thing worth mentioning that WoTLK failed at terribly was timing, I mean I think we're almost at a full year of Icecrown Citadel. TBC's model made it so most people still had raid content still worth seeing. Not to mention the Pre-WoTLK events were freakin awesome and dropped worthwhile gear since back then gearing up an alt wasn't nearly as simple.