PDA

View Full Version : Mage Looking for Advice Concerning Mages Come Cata

Standalone
11-30-2010, 05:59 AM
So I'm looking to roll a goblin mage once Cataclysm hits store shelves. Looking for input on whether or not this is shaping up to be a smart decision. Are mages projected to be putting out good dps in raids? Also is arcane projected to continue to be the most viable spec for a raiding mage? Any suggestions/advice is extremely appreciated. Thank you.

CatabriOnEarthen
11-30-2010, 07:59 AM
Math not in yet. And frankly, choosing your class to top meters is counter productive. What happens when they nerf the damage? And they will.

Bashal
11-30-2010, 08:21 AM
choosing your class to top meters is counter productive.

/agree

While I can understand wanting to pick a class/spec that doesn't leave you feeling weak or ineffective, it's also important to consider if you will enjoy playing the class/spec in general as well; because the one thing that you can always depend on, is that Blizzard will tinker with class mechanics. If and when it smacks you in the face, you'd better at least enjoy what you are playing for reasons other than "I do good damage" or whatever. ;)

There will also likely be a number of tweaks post-release, probably around the time people start raiding a lot. So if you pick a class just because it's OP, it probably won't be in the near future.

Standalone
11-30-2010, 10:41 AM
Thanks for the replies guys, I appreciate it. One quick note (completely my fault I didn't mention anything) it is not my intention to top meters or just be the best dps class or anything. I actually have little raid experience and I find it hard to put out good numbers in the game. I kinda suck and am looking to get better. The reason I am considering mage is because I hear its not too hard to put out somewhat descent damage even if you suck as I do. So really I'm just looking for a class with an easy learning curve that I can play to slowly develop into a more skilled and more expereinced player.

Bashal
11-30-2010, 10:58 AM
I'm just looking for a class with an easy learning curve that I can play to slowly develop into a more skilled and more expereinced player.

Arcane mage (from what I can tell) certainly fits the bill in the sense that aside from managing your mana, there aren't a lot of different abilities to track.

clvrlad
12-02-2010, 01:00 AM
im an arcane mage and yes the rotation is pretty simple
its not that flashy but requires some thinking and practice to get right
basically it seems to be best to have different phases in your dps while fighting a boss
you need to save your cold downs anjd then pop them all together (including your mana gem) then then "run hot" basically go for as much dps as possile now
after awhile youll need to cut back on your mana useage and do lowish dps untill your cool offs are ready to pop again and your mana is still high enough that after evocation and a mana gem your at 100% to start the burn phase again....
their is some different options on this rotation even when dropping mana gem is apropriate if your really interested have a look at the elitest jerks website they have a good forum going discussing the mechanics behind it
mind this might change by the time we get to level 85....

in the end i defintately agree with the above play what you'll enjoy playing....arcane have allready have had one nerf

CatabriOnEarthen
12-02-2010, 05:28 PM
Target dummy for muscle memory. Read read read. Once you have researched your rotation/priority list, the target dummy is the best way to work out the kinks. And the only way to get better at raiding is to do it!

A good UI will help you immensely. Check out the forums here on modding your UI.