PDA

View Full Version : Tanking What build to return to?

jandarhawke
11-29-2010, 04:48 AM
Here is my problem. I built a 80 retro pally and then got bored about a year ago. I am thinking of returning to the game, but not crazy about doing dps again. Have decided to build a tank. My three options (that I see) are:
1. Dual spec the Pally as a tank
2. Build a tank DK (but a lot of bad ones out there)
3. Build a warrior tank (not sure of best race)

All the options have pros and cons, 1 and 2 require much less leveling, but three allows me to build one from scratch and learn how to use it...maybe level by doing instances?

Please help!

Selene
11-29-2010, 12:00 PM
Simple Answer, play the one you like the most.

jandarhawke
11-29-2010, 04:08 PM
Not much help there. Do Pally's make good tanks? I heard that they are somewhat limited and will not be very effective after the new release on Dec 7th.

Nez
11-29-2010, 04:18 PM
Pallies are good tanks now, and will be in Cataclysm. They will actually get even better over now as they start to level and get their new skills.
:D

Malloy
11-29-2010, 08:52 PM
All tanks are pretty much equal, or will be once Cataclysm goes live. So if you enjoy tanking as a paladin, tank with a paladin. If you think you might enjoy Death Knight tanking, don't let other people's mediocrity dissuade you from tanking as a DK. If you wanna tank as a warrior, then pick any race, they all have something special to bring to the table that could help with tanking.

jandarhawke
12-02-2010, 04:27 AM
OK, spent 10g to dual talent and will start learning to tank.

Any ideas how to start?

Selene
12-02-2010, 05:04 AM
A Good place to start for the basics at least is if you are in a Guild, see if there are any Pally Tanks.
While there are guides and forums and websites to try to learn things, being able to converse with another person will help you to build a foundation and work your way from there.

jandarhawke
12-03-2010, 03:16 AM
Thanks for the advice. Not really sure what happened to the guild I was in before, but will keep my eyes out.

I am wondering where to start with the Pally. I did find a reasonably good build on the armory, but not really sure how to play it. Would you suggest doing the dailies for a while as a tank or start with some easy dungeons? if so which ones? My gear is low 200 retro gear and I know that I not only need to build skills but get a good shield and single handed weap

CatabriOnEarthen
12-03-2010, 07:09 AM
I am wondering where to start with the Pally. I did find a reasonably good build on the armory, but not really sure how to play it. Would you suggest doing the dailies for a while as a tank or start with some easy dungeons? if so which ones? My gear is low 200 retro gear and I know that I not only need to build skills but get a good shield and single handed weap

Slow weapon. Shield can be had for a minimum of honor.

Seriously, Cataclysm drops in 4 days. I wouldn't worry too much about gear. Really. Read up on maintankadin about the new 93939 rotation. (Judgement, Frisbee, Holy Wrath, Consecrate)=9, (Crusader's Strike or Hammer of the Righteous)=3. And Shield of the Righteous or Inquisition (at 81) or Word of Glory when you have 3 Holy Power. That's my retarded digest version. Not that you are retarded, but I'm retarded at explaining this stuff.

Look up the top paladins on your server. I'd say look up mine (Nalfarion, Earthen Ring - US) but I have kind of a specialized spec for LK. (Quicker HOJ for Valks), tho I do hit the main points. Maintankadin does a good job of explaining why reckoning is decent now, and if Grand Crusader is for you.

The tanking weapons in Cataclysm ARE slow ones, if the ones given out while leveling lowbies are any indication, and this is all to the good.

Target dummies are good for working on your rotation, keeping in mind that you will never be able to work in Hammer of Wrath on a dummy.

Selene
12-03-2010, 12:56 PM
http://paladinbuilds.com/
Shows several builds to use as a guideline.