PDA

View Full Version : Best DPS Meta Gem

Deathwish238
11-23-2010, 10:57 PM
Up until today I used the Chaotic Skyflare Diamond(+21 Crit, +3% Crit Dmg) in all my gear. This is for my Fury set, but it applies to a lot of people.

However, now it requires more Blue gems than Red gems. I currently have 14 Red Gems and 6 Blue Gems...and getting 9-10 new gems right before Cata just isn't gonna happen. I'd also lose about 200 Str which is a good 400 AP which is a lot of DPS. Not sure if the +3% Crit Dmg would make up for that.

Looking at the other gems, a lot of them have perks like minor run speed increase or or shorter snares...but that won't increase my dps directly. The only gem I see that can is the Destructive Skyflare Diamond with +25 Crit and +1% Spell Reflect. Even so, it relies on a boss or mob casting on you and not reflecting very often either.

Thoughts?

Airowird
11-24-2010, 12:27 AM
http://www.wowhead.com/item=41385 (Haste + self-heal)
http://www.wowhead.com/item=41339 (crit + run-speed)

Those 2 would work in your current gemming I believe, and would work decently for levelling as well.
The runspeed doesn't stack with runspeed on boots, but oyu can put Icewalker on them or another DPS enchant.

Bung
11-24-2010, 05:03 AM
"more Blue gems than Red gems" someone clarify this for me. So I have 17 gem slots and in order for the meta to work I need at least 9 blues? Crazy, lol.

Dedos
11-24-2010, 06:00 AM
According to what I've read, they'll be changing this back. They won't be able to hotfix it in, so it may take some time, as it'll have to be a patch update.

Selene
11-26-2010, 12:51 AM
More Blue gems than Red gems.

what this means is if you have 8 gems that count as Red (Orange/Red/Purple/Prismatic) then you have to have 9 gems that count as Blue (Blue/Green/Purple/Prismatic) in order to activate that meta gem.

mrtravor
11-27-2010, 12:49 AM
the change will be reverted soon (http://blue.mmo-champion.com/topic/136970/dps-meta-gem-changechange-it-back).
Until then, 21 Crit / run speed in addition to Icewalker or 32 AP should be fine.

Krays
11-27-2010, 05:05 AM
why on earth did they do this, were they they trying to force people to gem hit?

However if they do keep the meta like this, and the fact that mastery is now a good stat to have for fury here is what i would have done. Used loads of blue hit gems to reach my hit cap, so that i can reforge my gear to mastery instead of hit. This does mean il have less strength then most people, but ill have the hit cap , way more mastery , and the meta i want( actually i wouldnt be suprsised if that gave me a dps increase right now cause of the nerfs to BT and HS and buffs to mastery) :P.

Right now i use the crit and speed one and changed my tuskares vitatilty to 32 power. Fior my PVP enchant i use the spell reflect one.

proudmoore
11-28-2010, 03:49 AM
why on earth did they do this, were they they trying to force people to gem hit?
My guess would be that it would make gem choices a great deal more "interesting" than "Strength everywhere except for one grudging concession to requirement". For your own definition of "interesting".

It doesn't necessarily reduce you in relative power at all - this, I think, is the point that a lot of people seem to not comprehend.

Deathwish238
12-06-2010, 12:06 AM
Hearing that it will be changed back is good...but now all it would make me do is put in Purples everywhere and then one extra Blue gem. Not really anymore interesting than a bunch of Red.

Nayre
12-06-2010, 02:11 PM
For rogues at least, if that change had've been permanent it would have made gemming even less interesting. As it stands, agility's EP is so far above everything else that it still might not be worth the extra non-agility gems to activate the meta. Agility for assassination is, for instance, worth 2.6 EP, and the next highest is yellow hit at 1.75 EP. Combat isn't much better in the difference (2.7 and 1.9 respectively) and sub is by far the worst for this, with 3.5 and 1.4. Having a "more blue than red" requirement was the equivalent of saying to rogues for Cataclysm raiding (at least the first tier), "Don't even bother thinking about meta gems). At least with the normal requirement there's a slight chance it may be worth it to gem for a meta.

Krays
12-08-2010, 04:42 AM
For fury warrior and rogues i think the best meta right now would be The Chance to increase attack speed metegem. For arms and pvp warriors you probably want a crit one.

Kazeyonoma
12-08-2010, 10:50 AM
moved to DPS forum. cmon guys,.

Edgewalker
12-19-2010, 09:37 PM
Old, but still applicable.
It's very very easy to use hit gems as melee at 85, especially with reforging. Drop hit pieces and gem hit and you will have the same stats with an active meta.

seikei
12-20-2010, 08:01 AM
This change also completely ruins gemming for jewelcrafters-- chimera eyes don't have the hybrid colors (orange, green, purple). If I were to use three pure red chimera eyes I'd have to place three pure blue gems into my gear-- if I haven't got three sockets I'd actually lose socket bonuses for a blue gem which is far less than optimal.

hamster
12-21-2010, 02:44 AM
It's not hard at all to use 3 JC gems with the chaotic meta. All you need to do is make sure you don't use orange gems. Stick with greens and pure blue hit gems. You are most likely to end up with more blues then 3 reds this way. Also, most raiders that are JC also have BS. You can then use the three JC gems in your gloves, belt and wrist if you want those socket bonuses.