PDA

View Full Version : The Weekly Marmot -- Learning from Leadership Mistakes

Lore
11-23-2010, 11:12 PM
AxSahLGOHew

Incomp
11-23-2010, 11:32 PM
Informative and interesting as always Lore. Had a situation recently regarding guild master mistakes that got out of hand and ended in the destruction of a guild. Keep up the good work. o/

Nightphoenix16
11-24-2010, 11:41 AM
What REM joke?

reepicheep37
11-24-2010, 07:57 PM
Kudos for the Trogdor reference =)

Maverickroll
11-28-2010, 02:38 PM
Kudos for the Trogdor reference =)

I lol'd as well, good reference. Nothing like oldschool Strongbad.

Livistos
11-29-2010, 01:54 PM
I found that one of the hardest things to do is preventing your officers from thinking it's the end of the world. Many times things happen that aren't even mistakes, but just bad situations that can and will eventually happen from time to time. You can learn from it, you can prepare and know how to maybe handle it better or faster or something in the future, but many times I've noticed that officers will be the first to over-react and feel the need for large changes to fix something that's somewhat mundane. As a strong leader, you need to be able to point and say, hey look it's not he end of the world. We might need to add one little item into a policy at most to ensure this doesn't happen again, but most of the time it's not even that necessary.

Fetzie
11-29-2010, 06:13 PM
What REM joke?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thMm-7RFsm0

this song :)

Stormbringer.Khadgar
12-03-2010, 07:12 AM
Nice webcast.

A leader can learn from their mistakes ... providing they know they are making them. I'm a main tank and raid leader for our guild, so I watch the whole fight all the time, but I can still miss things. So one thing I always do is listen to my raiding team, especially in light of Aliena's superb webcast on healer QQ. Spending a couple of minutes talking about something can help me realise things that I had missed as well as the rest of the team, and help future attempts result in success.

This leads to another aspect of leaders learning from mistakes ... humility. Without this, a leader can be in a dictatorial position and end up shouting at their team. I have seen so many guilds and raid teams fall apart because of this. I'm pretty sure that the discussion approach contributes to guilds lasting longer, case in point the guild I'm in has been around since Feb 2006 with the same leadership and ethos.

Also I think that there are different characteristics required in a raid leader and a guild leader. To me an effective raid leader drives a raid forwards with positive re-inforcement when failure occurs, without the raid actually realising that they are being driven and pushed. A guild leader keeps the community together. The same person can fulfil both roles, of course.