PDA

View Full Version : How can u tell if a server has good latency ?

dagimp007
11-20-2010, 04:06 PM
i am starting wow back up but on the current realm i have a latency of around 200-300, i am looking to find a better server. i live in Michigan ( more specifically the south west)so if anyone is from michigan and have a good server let me know.

and i really dont want to make a level one and try to find a populated space with everything thats going on

redneck6979
11-20-2010, 05:21 PM
This list might help (http://www.wowwiki.com/US_realm_list_by_datacenter) you out some. You will want one that is in your current time zone and close to your location.

IMHO none of it will matter come 12/7/10 as all servers will have high latency problems, could be wrong but dont think so.

Destruyen
11-21-2010, 02:24 PM
time zone doesn't really matter as far as latency goes. for example some servers based in boston have pacific standard time even though it is no where near the west coast.

there's a list somewhere that sorts battlegroups by what location their servers are located. just get one close to michigan (i'm guessing dallas or boston are your best bets). it will also list the server ip so you can go to like testmyspeed.com and do a ping test to get a ballpark ping for that battlegroup/server.

then if you want you can look at which time zone the server is set to if you want your server time to be close to your own time. it helps if you don't want to raid late at night and since most guilds like to start raids anywhere from 6pm to 9pm and then raid for 2-4 hours. if you get on a pacific based time server and the average raid start times are 7pm, then it will be 9pm your time. it's personal preference but something to consider as well.

before you look into transferring toons to new servers, have you done the tcp ack frequency registry trick? also i would recomend if you play more than just wow online like shooters then look into getting the killer 2100 network card. when i built my new computer i got one for it and i noticed a big difference in lower ping in all my games including wow.

EDIT: forgot they moved the data servers a few months ago, no longer in boston or dallas. now in new york, phoenix, chicago, and los angeles. so your best bet would be the chicago servers.

Persipnei
11-22-2010, 05:49 AM
Here's the list of server locations:

http://www.wowwiki.com/US_realm_list_by_datacenter

dagimp007
11-22-2010, 07:16 AM
i did the leatrix latency fix ( i had a freind tell me about it right after i posted this) and i brought my ping from 250-300 to about 100-150 range..

i knew about where all servers where at its just i heard alot of people saying they live a city away from the server and they still get high ping so i was just looking for more info thanks all

Destruyen
11-22-2010, 05:50 PM
to me 100-150 is good enough, not great but not worth the money to transfer toons to a slightly lower ping server. if you do alot of serious pvp then it might be worth it to find a 50-75 ping server but for raiding it's good enough...

anewgenre
12-05-2010, 12:52 PM
Lore lives in michigan doesnt he?