PDA

View Full Version : Tanking What toon to play come cata, HELP!

Crutchs
11-17-2010, 11:01 AM
So I am trying to make a decision on which character to make my main for Cataclysm, and I figured the community would give me the input I need to make the decision! I have an 80 hunter and an 80 dk. The question is really which roll do I want to play come Cata, DPS or a Tank. The hunter was my first character and I leveled her during BC but didnt raid until WOTLK. I did naxx and ulduar on the hunter, but the guild fell apart and I had to take a break to study for the bar exam that summer. I levelled a dk on and off for fun during this time as I didnt have to commit to a raid schedule. I liked tanking a lot and when ICC came out I started tanking it. I found that tanking was a lot more stressful than dps, but it was also incredibly rewarding. I loved being in charge of the pull, and the idea that if I died, everyone else was gonna die to. I came back to start getting my tanking skills back in order and to work with the revamped talent trees, and WOW does it feel different. First, I have so many effing cooldowns. Bone Shield, Vamp Blood, IBF, Ghoul Sac, Rune Tap, Blood Tap, Empower Rune Weapon, DRW and I'm sure there are more. I have 10 buttons dedicated just to cd's. Further, my threat is ridiculous. Like not there. Gone. If rune strike doesn't proc, I might as well just pee on the bosses' leg and hope that gets him mad enough to continue attacking me. The moral of the story is it didn't feel very fun. Trying to balance my inordinate amount of cooldowns with the need to use every gcd for threat. Will this change in Cata due to the fact that RS will not "proc" anymore? Sorry for the quick QQ, but thats just what it felt like.
I loved playing my hunter and may switch back. The problem is that I feel like if I don't level my tank right off the bat I won't be able to find a guild. It always seems impossible to find a guild to tank for unless you get in at the beginning of the expansion. Its never very hard to find a dps spot in a decent guild. Help me Tank Spot, you're my only hope.

Crittable
11-17-2010, 12:19 PM
The problem is that I feel like if I don't level my tank right off the bat I won't be able to find a guild. It always seems impossible to find a guild to tank for unless you get in at the beginning of the expansion. Its never very hard to find a dps spot in a decent guild. Help me Tank Spot, you're my only hope.

Wouldn't this mean that it wouldn't be too hard to find a guild if you level your DPS character first? Then, you would have a tank as an alt? Maybe I misunderstood this.

Do you like the "stress" of being "in charge of the pulls"? Do you like following a fixed rotation/priority to max out your DPS and compete with the other DPS'ers? No one can tell you what you should level for yourself. It's a game; have fun with it. Make it what you want to play, not what you have to play.

Kurtosis
11-17-2010, 03:57 PM
Start with the tank, it will likely be faster to level to 85, what with instant LFG queuing. (though having leveled my Prot War from 80 - 84 in beta mostly via questing, it's not painfully slow to quest level)

At 85, buy up all the new Heirloom gear and send it to Hunter, then level it to 85 too.

By that time you'll have a good feel for whichever class/role you most enjoy playing at lvl 85, and make that one your main.

Standalone
11-30-2010, 06:27 AM
It sounds like to me that you want the responsibilities of being a tank but you don't want to put in the work for it. IMO it seems that you are better suited to a DPS role: if you make a mistake you don't completely screw the group but you still play a vital role. I find that re-rolling a class that you have already expereinced to the level cap is extremely dull and repetitive. But, by all means if you want another hunter get to leveling one. Your question was what we, as part of the Tankspot community, think you should roll in Cataclysm. I believe that the most refreshing/rewarding choice would be between a goblin or a new race/class combo. So as far as dps goes (which is what im narrowing it down to because like I stated I feel you should play; excluding hunters IMO) that leaves an orc mage, tauren ret paladin, tauren shadow/disc priest, troll lock, troll balance/kitty druid, Bloodelf arms/fury warrior, or a goblin anything dps. If you don't want a goblin I would suggest a druid or a mage. Both are looking extremely exciting and promising for Cataclysm. Druid, in paticular, I think would work well for you because it offers both the options of tanking or dpsing. So to ultimately answer your question in my opinion the best choices that would best match what you are looking for and/or offer a new refreshing outlook on the game would be an orc/goblin mage or a troll druid. Hope this offered some insight into what class you end up choosing and in closing I hope Cata treats you well and makes you a happy gamer.

Bung
12-01-2010, 07:31 AM
I agree that tanking and or healing is more stressful (or more of a challenge) than dps. Go dps for now. At some point you will want a level 85 alt and you can always tank then...good luck!

Reign
12-01-2010, 12:04 PM
play what you enjoy

/end conversation

Timephantom
12-01-2010, 04:58 PM
I personally like playing a Paladin. I leveled up as a tank and later learned the dps role. I really like their versatility and I think they bring alot to the table as a tank. However, when I get tired of tanking, I can go dps and enjoy that aspect. Ultimately it comes down to having fun, so don't play a toon/role that is stressful. Good luck!

sifuedition
12-01-2010, 05:12 PM
Maybe everyone has a different experience but...I found it much easier to get into a guild as a tank. You have to put in a lot of work, but it was easier for me. Gearing a tank without a guild was tough. However, every pug in trade is stuck looking for tanks or heals. Be an active pugger with a clue, you will get noticed. However, for me at least, even being in the top 10-20% on dps every pugged raid didn't get much noticed since the difference was usually a couple hundred dps and there are SOO many dps'ers.

Having said that, it's not much of a way to choose your toon. The earlier suggestion was the best; play what you like.

A suggestion in another threat was quite profound. Flipping a coin may be the best way to decide. You get a definite answer - and when the coin is in the air, you will know which one you secretely prefer. You will most likely be hoping for a certain result.