PDA

View Full Version : Warrior Threat issues and gear confusions.

Angerpowered
11-15-2010, 09:40 PM
Hello there. Just dinged 80 a couple nights ago. Been gearing up as hard as I can :P

My chars name is Coppu of kil jaeden US

Anyway, I have a few things I'd like help with :]

1.) Gear/Stats

My primary question is on gems, enchants, and stat priorities. Generally my priorities are stamina > dodge/parry (doesnt matter too much at this gear level because every upgrade is a vastly superior upgrade) > hit/expertise. Is this correct?

2.) Spec

Is my spec alright for tanking? How about my glyphs. I have been doing homework and trying to figure these out and yet I STILL find people saying otherwise. I am very confused on spec.

3.) Threat

My threat is absolute TRASH. I have been CLAPPAN, CLEAVAN, WAVAN, and REVANGAN WHENEVER POSSIBLE and still can't hold AoE threat. I specced into BnT but so far have not been using it. In heroics DPS goes balls-to-the-wall the moment they see those mobs move. using that GCD has not been too great thus far and I have been option to clap at first, followed by a shockwave, and then followed by cleave/clap/revenge spam. There seems to be quite a bit of debate on this, so some numbers would be nice on this.

The same is for single target. Call me terrible, call me a scrub, whatever. My priorities are Shield Slam > Revenge > Concussive Blow > Shockwave > Devastate. even with all this I STILL have threat problems single target. If you care enough to check out my guild, I have HUGE problems with my warlock. She isn't even that well geared and I still have trouble with keeping her in check. I also can't keep threat on the frost DK (Platelet). His howling blasts are too tough for me.

What am I doing wrong? I will continue to work on my gear as best I can. Will this be a major part of it? Should I uninstall? QQ?

I have been considering wearing some DPS gear but right now (when I don't even have 40k unbuffed) it doesn't seem too wise.

---If you've made it here, and read the whole thing, thank you so much. Any constructive criticism would be helpful. This is my first experience into serious tanking (I tanked on my bear for a while but it was SUPER faceroll. It was pre-4.0 so I could 1 button aoe tank and single target was just a matter of keeping lacerates up). Please be gentle ><

THANKS! :D SORRY FOR WALL OF TEXT

TLDR: Gear/gems ok? Spec ok? Threat tips?

I will try to get some readings on my threat later on. I really want to work on this and get this down. My execution of fights is fine but threat is a huge problem.
-----------------------------------

I posted this in both the warrior and tanking forums on the official board. I figured I'd rather ask a more trusted source though! Anyway after the advice I got I replied:

Angerpowered
11-15-2010, 09:41 PM
Sorry for double posting but iPhones are trash for forums.

Thanks for the super helpful replies guys!

Okay so my priorities for tonight after homework are:

Respec to heroic farming
Regem to expertise
Farm up nighttime (for threat)
Farm up 264 belt (trying to get rid of 200s)
Farm up my second flaming bear head (finish up pride and greed)

Regarding gems!!!
Do I go for stam/expertise purples (in blue slots?) Pure expertise in reds slots? Stam/expertise in reds and blues? What about yellows? Hit/expertise hybrids?

uglybbtoo
11-16-2010, 12:23 AM
1.) Gear/Stats
My primary question is on gems, enchants, and stat priorities. Generally my priorities are stamina > dodge/parry (doesnt matter too much at this gear level because every upgrade is a vastly superior upgrade) > hit/expertise. Is this correct?

Yes correct survival first then threat as always with tanking. When you are confortable you can survive anything you are likely to encounter then you start with threat.

2.) Spec

Is my spec alright for tanking? How about my glyphs. I have been doing homework and trying to figure these out and yet I STILL find people saying otherwise. I am very confused on spec.

No link so can't comment but there are plenty of standard good spec's. There is no ONE spec it depends how you tank as to which you prefer you will of coarse take all the normal survival talents.

3.) Threat

My threat is absolute TRASH. I have been CLAPPAN, CLEAVAN, WAVAN, and REVANGAN WHENEVER POSSIBLE and still can't hold AoE threat. I specced into BnT but so far have not been using it. In heroics DPS goes balls-to-the-wall the moment they see those mobs move. using that GCD has not been too great thus far and I have been option to clap at first, followed by a shockwave, and then followed by cleave/clap/revenge spam. There seems to be quite a bit of debate on this, so some numbers would be nice on this.

The same is for single target. Call me terrible, call me a scrub, whatever. My priorities are Shield Slam > Revenge > Concussive Blow > Shockwave > Devastate. even with all this I STILL have threat problems single target. If you care enough to check out my guild, I have HUGE problems with my warlock. She isn't even that well geared and I still have trouble with keeping her in check. I also can't keep threat on the frost DK (Platelet). His howling blasts are too tough for me.

What am I doing wrong? I will continue to work on my gear as best I can. Will this be a major part of it? Should I uninstall? QQ?

I have been considering wearing some DPS gear but right now (when I don't even have 40k unbuffed) it doesn't seem too wise.

Tanking Heroics ATM is actually harder than ICC in terms of threat.

The forst DK forget it if he is good gear there is nothing you can do he will pull the off mobs with howling blast. We have a thread running on Frost DPS http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.php?71420 unless you outgear the DK he will pull agro as do we all. The splash damage is enormous and he has to be prepared to somewhat tank mobs or control his output. I assure you very very very few tanks of any sort can control mobs off a frost DK if they open up hard and early. You can give him vigilance so at least you get vengenace as he gets hit which may help.

The lock you should be able to hold so there is definitely something wrong as well. This thread may help http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.php?71825-Help-for-initial-threat but my suspicion is that you need a better weapon just based on what you have said so far but without a link hard to be conclusive.

Can I also suggest that starting out mark a target with a skull use an addon or bind the mark function to a key like F1 so you can do it fast. Most DPS will hit a target if marked and it makes your life a little easier because you can concentrate somewhat on one target.

Angerpowered
11-16-2010, 03:48 AM
Here is armory link: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Kil%27jaeden&cn=Coppu

Updates: tonight Branjahm didn't drop nighttime. Too bad. I had a terrible shaman healer. He was qqing about my gear saying that I take so much damage. He had 18000 mana with a Mage and paladin in group... Anyway I told him that since he hit 80 a day ago he shouldn't be whining about my gear and he started flaming me. Great stuff. He would have tried to ninja nighttime anyway so I'm fine with it not dropping.

I did the seasonals and picked up a 251 tanking chest and shield which I have yet to outfit properly. The shield when compares to the wrathful I have been using trades 70 stamina for a buttload of strength and some avoidance. Not sure which to use tbh. I will be using the shield for heroics and wrathful for tanking raid bosses.

I changed my spec! Dropped gag order for a couple points in incite and crazy bloodlol (blood craze) for war academy and blitz. Blitz let's me have enough rage to cleave off the bat which allows me time to drop a gcd on rend and spread it around. This has been working for me. I am still up for ideas! I do miss heroic throw silence though. Was wonderful for rounding up pesky caster mobs. Perhaps I could trade war academy for the 3rd incite point (greater single target) and gag order.

Regarding stats I totally forgot about reforging. Because I'm a noon I reforged unevenly. My dodge and parry are both lopsided (20%dodge and 16% parry). Axe facials have been great and I am now above expertise cap. I wanted to hit soft cap with or without an axe and am now sitting at 28 expertise. I will continue to try new things. All criticism is helpful.

Angerpowered
11-16-2010, 04:52 AM
Double post but some of the typos are hilarious. Axe facial xD

Michultradk
11-18-2010, 10:27 AM
I'm sure you are holding back on enchants until you get some better gear, but in a lot of ways this can upset healers trying to heal you because you are not getting a lot of basics you really need to do heroics and raids, which you need to get better gear.
Some of these enchants are really cheap and will add some very much needed health to your pool;
Head - Arcanum of the Stalwart protector
Shoulder - Great inscription of the Pinnacle or Greater inscription of the Gladiator (which is what I use)
Chest - Super health
Boots - Greater Fortitude
Bracers - Because you are a BS you can add another socket, then get Major Stamina enchant
Gloves - Again add another socket from BS, and get the Glove reinforcenent enchant for 240 armor
CLoak - Mighty armor

Gems, just stay with Stamina in all sockets and don't worry about socket bonuses except for your Meta gem which you need one red or purple and Stam/expertise or hit works good. On the rare occassion you get a bonus that is +12 stamina then you can use a 15stam/ whatever. You will need to get in ICC to get serious upgrades unless you are waiting on CC release and hoping you can get in on new randoms, but you will surely need these enchants for that.
Also, start leveling up another profession so you can get the benefits from it (mats are real cheap now and they may go up when the expansion is released), JC or Engineering are both good choices though I'm reading Eng. maybe a better choice going forward in CC for the extra stuff you can get with it. These are both expensive to level if you do not have a miner in your guild or friend to help with mats so good luck with that.
There is also a good trinket in ToC normal 5 man, the black heart, and you will get some mileage out of that as I'm sure trinkets and rings will go a long way in CC. The harbingers bone band is farely easy to come by in trade chat or the AH and the prices have dropped dramatically.

Use WoW-Heroes.com, it really helps to find upgrades and also see different enchants you can use, there are others but this one works good.

Hope this helps and good luck going forward, there are many good people on TS that don't mind helping and if I've said anytihng wrong they will surely correct me.