PDA

View Full Version : Tanking Death Knight Blood Tank -- Please help with Macro/rotation

DKtank
11-03-2010, 06:47 AM
Hello TS -

I need some help. I recently returned back to wow and I am having issues with making macros and holding threat in raids. Can someone help me with what I should be doing on a raid?

I am pretty much spamming Blood Boil, Death Strike, Rune Strike.

#showtooltip
/castsequence reset=target Icy Touch, Plague Strike, Heart Strike, Heart Strike, Death Strike, Death Strike, Heart Strike, Heart Strike, Heart Strike, Heart Strike
/cast !Rune Strike

Can someone please help me with this macro? It doesnt work well.

sifuedition
11-03-2010, 07:03 AM
Might as well forget castsequence macros. Blizz is discouraging their use with new mechanics. In fact NONE of the tanks have a rotation now.

In the case of a DK, your runes do not refresh the way they used to. Now you can have runes randomly refresh. Also, on-next-swing mechanics like rune strike or warrior heroic strike are no longer on next swing. They are now instant attacks that are just on a separate gcd so to speak.

You will need to learn how to monitor your resources and your threat to know what will be the best move to use next. Keeping diseases up is a priority. Get some mastery and practice keeping your mastery shield up. Keep your attack power debuff up with blood boil, even on single target. Rune strike-> heart strike as you can around all of that.

Don't take this the wrong way, but it sounds like you were facerolli g your class before and have a lot of research and practice ahead of you to learn the class now.

PatrikL
11-03-2010, 07:32 AM
That macro wouldnt have been good before the patch either. Apart from not beeing able to adjust to changes around you doesnt it only cast one possible RS per rotation also?

Either way as the poster above said, forget about castsequence macros and dont macro in RS anymore, it has to be used manually (and do use it frequently since it not only produces threat but also helps refresh runes).

Check out the guide to DK tanking here on TS, it is up to date and in my opinion very well written.

DKtank
11-03-2010, 07:36 AM
Can you find me the link? I cant seem to find it. Thanks for the tips guys.

Gutfang
11-03-2010, 09:27 AM
Can you find me the link? I cant seem to find it. Thanks for the tips guys.

Find it here (http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.php?71144-Cataclysm-Death-Knight-Tanking-Satorri-s-Guide-to-the-Bloody-Future/page1).

Selene
11-04-2010, 06:51 PM
That macro wouldnt have been good before the patch either. Apart from not beeing able to adjust to changes around you doesnt it only cast one possible RS per rotation also?

Either way as the poster above said, forget about castsequence macros and dont macro in RS anymore, it has to be used manually (and do use it frequently since it not only produces threat but also helps refresh runes).

Check out the guide to DK tanking here on TS, it is up to date and in my opinion very well written.

The way that macro was written it was to use Rune Strike anytime it was available and the runic power was there.
As to the rotation itself its hard to say.

But yeah, everything is now Priority Based instead of Rotation Based like how some classes/specs used to be. I personally don't like it for a Tank because I have to focus on what I'm doing plus what is going on.

Kurtosis
11-06-2010, 12:45 AM
Like everyone said, ditch the castsequence macro.

If you like using macros, here's how. This assumes you use a keyboard and put your combat macros on number keys 1 - 6.

1. Create six macros using this template, name them whatever you want. I name mine after the key slot they go on - 01, 02, 03, etc.

#showtooltip
/use [mod:ctrl] z;[mod:alt] y;[mod:shift] x;[nomod] w

2. Put your most important combat abilities in the [nomod] slot, next most important combat abilities in the [mod:shift] slot (or [mod:alt] slot if that's easier for your fingers to reach), etc.

3. You can add other things like trinkets or racials like Bloodfury to that mix as well:

#showtooltip [mod:ctrl] Horn of Winter;[mod:alt] Raise Dead;[mod:shift] Dark Command;[nomod] Heart Strike
/use [nomod] Blood Fury
/use [nomod] 14
/use [mod:ctrl] Horn of Winter;[mod:alt] Raise Dead;[mod:shift] Dark Command;[nomod] Heart Strike

You can cut out some of the spaces and remove the [nomod]s in the main command to save characters if you need:

#showtooltip [mod:ctrl]Horn of Winter;[mod:alt]Raise Dead;[mod:shift]Dark Command;Heart Strike
/use [nomod]Blood Fury
/use [nomod]14
/use [mod:ctrl]Horn of Winter;[mod:alt]Raise Dead;[mod:shift]Dark Command;Heart Strike

4. Be able to access 6*4 = 24 abilities on 6 keys.

5. And if that's not enough for you, then download the Spellbinder addon (http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addons/details/spell-binder.aspx) and use it to bind either abilties or macros directly to other keys. I personally prefer to use Spellbinder to Blizzard's more convoluted actionbar slot bindings in the Keybindings menu.

6. Profit!!!