PDA

View Full Version : The Weekly Marmot -- Blizzcon 2010 Wrap-up

Lore
10-27-2010, 04:43 PM
hvQ2WekjBnY

88h2o88
10-27-2010, 05:00 PM
I jest watched this on youtube. Does it go up on youtube first then here?

Lore
10-27-2010, 05:59 PM
It would be pretty hard for me to embed a youtube video that doesn't exist, so yes.

88h2o88
10-27-2010, 06:47 PM
huh. guess i did not think about that /facepalm.

Luanmali
10-27-2010, 09:01 PM
I believe I would have to agree with you on the point of being there vs. watching the livestream. BlizzCon is exactly what it is. A Blizzard Convention. Folks who attend via a streamed video miss out on a lot of neat stuff.

Of course, I wasn't able to go, so I can only speak from a limited viewpoint. Though the combination of your updates and those of the Lorehound crew kept me happy enough.

Rennadrel
10-27-2010, 09:20 PM
I dunno Lore, I thought the live stream wasn't too shabby. The price was a bit high and there were a couple of issues where the video would jump back and replay segments before fixing itself, but otherwise it was fairly interesting. I mainly watched the SC2 tournament and I thought the finals were epic and a great way to see how some of the best players play the game. Admittedly I have never played a Diablo game in my life but I am thinking it might be time or at least wait until Diablo 3 which is looking to be very awesome. I was hoping for a new announcement like everyone else, but alas it never came but knowing that it is in the works along with the fact that the WarCraft movie is set in stone is pretty cool. Chris Metzen is also the supreme troll of BlizzCon.

Abernatheeee
10-27-2010, 10:02 PM
Rock star.

Lore
10-27-2010, 10:57 PM
It would appear that someone at ZAM has... modified... the preview frame for this video.

Mangea
10-28-2010, 12:11 AM
Yeah, the Frodo insert made me chuckle.

Blizzcon really was a let down this year for everyone who watched the live stream. It'd be fine if the emphasis was on the convention itself with the live stream offered as a bonus, but Blizz put a ton of advertising muscle behind the live stream. It was a big deal. But what we got instead was pretty lackluster, not to mention shoddy streaming quality. Also, where was Chris Metzen going with that Geek Is... thing? It could have been really cool and served to bond together nerds everywhere in their love for all things "geeky", but it just fizzled with a "Well... we hope you enjoyed that." Huh? Glad it the convention was fun for the people who were there, though. =D

And for the love of God, somebody give Mike Morhaime some lessons on public speaking!

Geach
10-28-2010, 07:58 AM
I dunno I enjoyed the stream. I really liked it being the on demand deal so I could go back and watch that panel. Compared to last year where it just replayed the whole thing there was no pause or anything.

Also not cutting off the live stream 3/4 or so of the way through the contests was an improvement also...

Overall stream wise it seemed like an improvement from last years issues. I guess why I'm not as disapointed was seeing if there was going to be ground breaking news wasn't my only reason to buy the stream. Being able to see the panels from the source was. I will admit the pet doesn't hurt either but even without the pet I probably would of bought the stream.

Airimus
10-28-2010, 10:14 AM
Ya, I think I'll disagree with you on Blizzcon. Being one of the many that couldn't get a ticket this year, my only option was livestream. I actually like that they work really hard to make those of us that can't go feel included in the Blizzcon experience. The comment "what can we do to make the experience great for everyone here, and step back a little bit from the livestream or didn't make their primary concern" kind of bothered me. Way to sound like "I'm better than all of you" Lore.

Bitur
10-28-2010, 10:32 AM
Awesome intro.

Mior
10-28-2010, 11:23 AM
It would appear that someone at ZAM has... modified... the preview frame for this video.
You look a bit like the mona lisa in that still frame :D

Abernatheeee
10-28-2010, 11:26 AM
Someone should hug that person at ZAM.

And if you're hating on Lore for thinking the stream sucked, you gotta remember he is comparing it to actually being there. And with that, there is no real comparison. You will never get the same experience sitting in your basement watching it as you will being there.

Ion
10-28-2010, 01:38 PM
In my basement eh?

Because I was 8727382078th in line and couldn't get a ticket I'm automatically some basement-dwelling shut-in who doesn't want to go out into public?

Go fuck yourself.

And fuck the "the stream people are second class citizens" bullshit too...I'd have happily gone, if the way they did tickets wasn't so completely retarded that unless you have some inside way of getting them you basically have zero chance of going. There are millions of people watching the streams and MAYBE there's a couple thousand actually at the con itself...shutting out the majority just because they don't have some in at blizzard is obnoxious and stupid.

Bitur
10-28-2010, 02:17 PM
Ya, I think I'll disagree with you on Blizzcon. Being one of the many that couldn't get a ticket this year, my only option was livestream. I actually like that they work really hard to make those of us that can't go feel included in the Blizzcon experience. The comment "what can we do to make the experience great for everyone here, and step back a little bit from the livestream or didn't make their primary concern" kind of bothered me. Way to sound like "I'm better than all of you" Lore.
You're just jealous you didn't get to go and run your fingers through Lore's hair.

Magemary
10-28-2010, 02:40 PM
I'm jealous :)
We'll keep tring..grrr,me no like that..
I watched blizzcon not worth the 40 bucks,I ordered it just for the wow content,best thing that came from that was the
music and costumes,,what a rip off!!
Glad you had fun lore :D

Evelmunkee
10-28-2010, 05:22 PM
Someone tell me how to read those little messages he leaves at the end....I cant seem to do it on the you tube feed.

Arianne
10-28-2010, 05:30 PM
Your comments on the number of stages at Blizzcon makes me think you haven't been to very many conventions. There are separate tracks at conventions (ie: WoW vs SC2 vs DiabloIII) because not everyone is interested equally in all of the tracks. There's always something that someone should be interested in. If you're not interested in the panels then you can "hang out" or whatever. Dunno, think that section of this Marmot was not very well thought out.

Jamesondrinker
10-28-2010, 06:41 PM
LOL @ the preview frame,
and i think really anyone that watches this would go say watsup to lore if they saw him at blizzcon, lores a G

Abernatheeee
10-28-2010, 06:52 PM
You're just jealous you didn't get to go and run your fingers through Lore's hair.

I know I am.
Although, I am a little scared that there might be things hiding in there.

Luanmali
10-29-2010, 09:39 AM
Someone tell me how to read those little messages he leaves at the end....I cant seem to do it on the you tube feed.

It's really all just luck, dude. Watch the last couple seconds over and over again and hope you get lucky enough to hit pause at just the right time... That's my method, anyway.

Livistos
10-29-2010, 11:51 AM
Me and 3 buddies hung out to watch the livestream in HD on my brother's awesome TV / Soundsystem setup. Personally, I thought it was better than showing up to Blizzcon because we were able to pretty much watch every single panel across the two days which we wouldn't have been able to do if we were there. So yeah... two thumbs up. I thought it was worth the $40 bucks hands down.

Kryogenikz
10-29-2010, 10:23 PM
The Liveticket is ok for those of us that can't afford to go or don't have time to go, but Lore's right. There is nothing like being there. It's all about going there and having a good time with some cool people. Besides, going to a football/hockey game is hell of a lot better than watching it on TV.

As for the lack of big news.... yeah. Big disappointment. Even though I played Diablo, I agree with Lore. The fanbase is the smallest of the three franchises; possibly because it's an incredibly repetitive game. Hopefully Diablo III will change that, but who knows for sure. I also would've liked to see info on the 4th franchise (and although I hate Jersey Shore, that joke about Jersey Shore - The MMO in Legendary had me going).

Sleezed
11-02-2010, 03:01 AM
You are right on the Live Stream account, waste of cash, especially as the tournaments were free to view. When you pay that much you kind of expect that exclusive access to the event and even the 'HD' wasn't even worth it. We basically paid $40 for a pet and SC2 portrait. I won't be purchasing the live stream in future, big rip off.

Quinafoi
11-02-2010, 11:33 AM
I for one will second the notion that BlizzCon could definately look towards extending into a third day. There is a lot to cram into just two days, and even if Blizzard themselves can't generate sufficient content to fill three full days, the other aspects of the convention probably could. In 2009 they had the additional sound-alike contest but cut that out this year because it ran too long or wasn't as appealing. But if they can't fill in a full third day, fan generated content likely can fill in some of the gaps.

The panels this year were a bit of a let down in general, though I did find the Starcraft 2 custom maps one amusing (I suddenly want a Rainbow Archon pet for WoW). This was a relatively dry year in general though in terms of announcements. Diablo 3 getting another class was pretty much expected. The Diablo 3 arena system isn't much of a surprise either given the growing industry of competitive gaming, it's only natural that they would want their product to cater to that market in some fashion.