PDA

View Full Version : I don't understand raiding

AntiMMO
10-21-2010, 10:58 AM
To whom who it may concern

I myself played world of warcraft in 2005 bescause my friends basically begged me to play instead of drawing or playing old Super Nintendo games.

I got myself a Undead mage and decided to give it a try i did like this i figured out quickly and enjoyed the professions and the quests and dungeons. I enjoyed it, i was getting really into it. I played for about 6 months into the game and finally hit level 60.

I asked what there was to do my friends told me to join there guild in a place called Molten Core..now i am intimated by large crowds and got invited to this large giant group. Where we seem to be alot of ordering around about who has attunment and why don't you have this program called Ventrilo. It seemed like a big mess of chaos i gritted my teeth and went with it until we got into this molten core thing i got transported there through warlocks.

We got in and did this chaotic thing and ..I became overwhelmed about all of this and after we downed the first boss i left. my guild ask where i was going i said out i can't handle this and told me to show up every wednesday thursday saturday and sunday between 8pm-2am server time. I said no i don't even play those times expect on a Saturday when i don't have a test in college i was removed from the guild and basically asked and looked online on what should I be doing at max level and they all pointed to raiding. I did not like this experience and quit the game and did not look back.

What brought me here was i was at a friends house last week i looked over his shoulder saw him playing the game and on his second computer listening to this character which at first i thought it was a joke video of someone doing an impression of Frodo Baggins.
Turned out to be a member at this group by the name of Lore my friend watched for news updates and what to do when he "Raids" i've never really understand this big.. thing of getting a certain amount of random or non random people and taking hours of your life to go kill this boss maybe to me it's to slow paced or just i hate crowds.

Why is raiding addicting and why is this warcraft worth playing once you hit max level?
It's like to me in oblivion you can do the side quests in Oblivion after you do the main quest line but after you finish the main quest line everything else you do is so interior why do you bother. (Thus why i did the main quest line when i ran out of side quest i could find in the game)

Kazeyonoma
10-21-2010, 11:10 AM
probably should check out a movie coming out soon hopefully called "The Raid", hopefully it'll shed some light into the raiding world, why people enjoy it, and the sense of accomplishment/joy from actually successfully killing a raid boss with people you can consider your friends or colleagues.

Bodasafa
10-21-2010, 11:26 AM
Its about working with other people to achieve a common goal. In this case the common goal is to defeat a raid boss. Its basically a team sport. But also check out the movie Kaze talked about. I'm really looking forward to it. They are having live streams of it this Saturday on: http://jointheraid.com/site/

MellvarTank
10-21-2010, 11:32 AM
Raids are much different today then they were when you were rocking 40 people or more. The numbers are 10 and 25 now, and it is gratifying to down a boss with a group of people.

AntiMMO
10-21-2010, 11:42 AM
Well the point still says i ask my friend out on a thursday cause me and Jay both lucky have the day off and we ask my friend who still plays wow "Come on man we all got the day off let's go to Boston Pizza $20 all you can eat and we can watch the UFC fights tonight" His response "Sorry man raiding" i understand if there working or a family meeting but he can't go outside any evening bescause he's raiding.

I'm really confused on that.. i mean i love video games but if i get a call from a bud to go play pool or go to the gym and play some basketball or whatever i'm not going to say no...but maybe that's the difference i like communication and seeing and playing with people in front of me like when i played Dungeons and dragons when i was a kid and a teenager. (and i mean the game with the books and dice not the video game)

MellvarTank
10-21-2010, 11:44 AM
That isn't the case with everyone, that is your friend.

I seem to recall when I was growing up my parents said the SAME THING about D&D. The reality is that some people take it too far, and that is their issue, not an issue with the game.

Reev
10-21-2010, 11:45 AM
Well the point still says i ask my friend out on a thursday cause me and Jay both lucky have the day off and we ask my friend who still plays wow "Come on man we all got the day off let's go to Boston Pizza $20 all you can eat and we can watch the UFC fights tonight" His response "Sorry man raiding" i understand if there working or a family meeting but he can't go outside any evening bescause he's raiding.

I'm really confused on that.. i mean i love video games but if i get a call from a bud to go play pool or go to the gym and play some basketball or whatever i'm not going to say no...but maybe that's the difference i like communication and seeing and playing with people in front of me like when i played Dungeons and dragons when i was a kid and a teenager. (and i mean the game with the books and dice not the video game)

Think of it like the guy who has a league basketball game he goes to on Thursday nights. If he doesn't show, he's just let the rest of his team down, and they end up either forfeiting, or losing because they're missing an important player. There are other people on the other side of that screen, and you don't want to let them down. This is true of any pursuit that requires a structured timetable and multiple people, whether that's a book club, a basketball game, or a yoga class.

That said, it's for that reason that I don't sign up for raids anymore, and only go when I happen to be online and needed. Doing things with people is more important to me at the moment, but that doesn't detract from people who generate real enjoyment from the game. I've met people in game that later became friends in real life as well.

Theotherone
10-21-2010, 11:48 AM
Smells like troll in here.

Reev
10-21-2010, 11:50 AM

Smells more like bitter girlfriend to me. I've heard all this before from my friend Jaime when her boyfriend started gaming seriously.

Kennris
10-21-2010, 11:55 AM

Yeah, considering there hasn't been a UFC event on a Thursday night in I don't know how long. Frankly, I can't remember there ever being a UFC event on a Thursday.

AntiMMO
10-21-2010, 11:56 AM
Thanks for sharing that point
hink of it like the guy who has a league basketball game he goes to on Thursday nights. If he doesn't show, he's just let the rest of his team down, and they end up either forfeiting, or losing because they're missing an important player. There are other people on the other side of that screen, and you don't want to let them down. This is true of any pursuit that requires a structured timetable and multiple people, whether that's a book club, a basketball game, or a yoga class. put that way it does make sense to me but may i direct a question at you Reev? from what people say it's raid or nothing at level cap what do you do at level cap if you are not raiding?

MellvarTank
10-21-2010, 11:57 AM
Farm gold which is much sadder than raiding with people.

Reev
10-21-2010, 11:58 AM
Thanks for sharing that point put that way it does make sense to me but may i direct a question at you Reev? from what people say it's raid or nothing at level cap what do you do at level cap if you are not raiding?

5 mans, daily quests, seasonal events, RP, level alts, battlegrounds, arena.

Bashal
10-22-2010, 12:08 PM
Thanks for sharing that point put that way it does make sense to me but may i direct a question at you Reev? from what people say it's raid or nothing at level cap what do you do at level cap if you are not raiding?

If you aren't raiding, there's still stuff to do, as Reev points out, it just isn't nearly as time-consuming as raiding. Or perhaps better put, it's easier to prevent it from being time-consuming.

Actually, raiding doesn't have to be time-consuming, either. The faster or more competitive you are about raiding (going for a server first, or whatever), the more time you usually spend doing it.

For me, the appeal of raiding is this:

1) I like the people I play with.
2) I like the teamwork, the coordination involved, the difficulty of it compared to just doing a 5-man dungeon
3) cool loot. XD

Other people have different motivations, or the same ones as I do but in a different order of priority.

And yes, just randomly missing a scheduled raid you said you'd go to can really mess up a group, and cause some hard feelings if you just kinda blew it off.

Prucilak
10-22-2010, 01:18 PM
With the name "AntiMMO" I would think its a troll.

In the truest form of the word, almost everything in life is a "waste of time." Playing pool, playing basketball, etc etc etc is a "waste of time." Most things we do for entertainment are a waste of time.

Bashal
10-22-2010, 01:20 PM
With the name "AntiMMO" I would think its a troll.

Not necessarily. A possibility.

Bowen
10-23-2010, 05:28 AM
I used to buy a console game every month, 25/40, now I just raid that is 9 a month. I also like raiding for the mental challenge just as I enjoy bodybuilding for the physical challenge.

Valandris
10-23-2010, 08:01 AM
Well whether he's a troll or not, I'll admit I'm confused as to why I play WoW atm except that maybe my rl has been in limbo recently. That's changing and I'll be away for a while and whether I come back or not is up to a lot of factors. I think once things get a little more interesting for me, I may put this behind me. Provided I hate farming, dailies, and such repetitive things as that, and I would rather watch my Stargate episodes than play WoW (because I'm a Stargate nerd, not a warcraft nerd lol). I imagine another thing that would steal me away from WoW would be a successful Stargate MMO. Hell any Stargate MMO for that matter.

Goros
10-23-2010, 08:05 AM
Life in WoW begins at 80.

Soon to be revised to 85.

I don't know about the majority of raiders, but I know most of my 10 man team took from 12/7-12/12 off from work just to grind to 85 so we can start the rep grind and the 5 man gearing so we're raid ready when they open.

I never got the point of raiding until "recently" until we started downing harder and harder bosses and progressing. I also sucked on my toons because I was never willing to go online and do the research, so raiding was frustrating. Turning on an xbox 360 and going hunting out in the capital wasteland was much easier than getting a team together and making something happen successfully.

Now that we have a number of good raid teams put together people have fun instead of frustration and burnout. Of course, we were also very specific about not raiding 5 nights a week etc. because we wanted to avoid that burnout.