PDA

View Full Version : Tanking Prot. Warrior Caps

Tankingftw
10-13-2010, 12:34 PM
Now that the new patch is out and defense rating is gone, I just wanted some advice on caps and what stats should I remove to reforge for mastery.

My current tank:

Hit chance- 6.76% 208 rating

Expertise- 4.00% 128 rating

Dodge- 22.19% 960 rating adds 21.22%

Parry- 23.12& 1083 rating adds 23.93%

Block- 30.00% block rating 0

Thanks in advance. =)

Agnum
10-14-2010, 10:50 AM
I would like to an answer to this as well if anyone know. I have seen conflicting information around for the last two days. I spent over an hour last night deciding on my prot build.

Tankingftw
10-14-2010, 10:55 AM
For now I just read hit needs to be capped at 8% and expertise im not too sure

Jellysound
10-14-2010, 11:01 AM
Can you get Block from anywhere but Mastery?

Aurarian
10-14-2010, 11:16 AM
No, you cannot get Block from anywhere but mastery. Mastery increases both Block and Critical Block Chance. As for hit, I have mine around 6% and with food I'm pretty close to the 8% soft cap. Expertise is still our best single target threat stat till you reach cap, I capped exp cause I like it better than hit. Some people are moving parry into mastery but they changed the conversion rate so now it's equal with dodge so it may not be a good idea, others are doing hit/exp if they have too much and even some dodge. I'd say if you have more hit and exp to spare above the cap then it would be best to reforge for mastery, but then again reforging dodge or parry on all your items can get you significant gains in avoidance. I've seen one guy at EJ with 88.6% avoidance because he has about 44% block which is super nice for deflecting those two back to back hits.

Tankingftw
10-14-2010, 11:28 AM
No, you cannot get Block from anywhere but mastery. Mastery increases both Block and Critical Block Chance. As for hit, I have mine around 6% and with food I'm pretty close to the 8% soft cap. Expertise is still our best single target threat stat till you reach cap, I capped exp cause I like it better than hit. Some people are moving parry into mastery but they changed the conversion rate so now it's equal with dodge so it may not be a good idea, others are doing hit/exp if they have too much and even some dodge. I'd say if you have more hit and exp to spare above the cap then it would be best to reforge for mastery, but then again reforging dodge or parry on all your items can get you significant gains in avoidance. I've seen one guy at EJ with 88.6% avoidance because he has about 44% block which is super nice for deflecting those two back to back hits.

Would you be able to link armory?

Aurarian
10-14-2010, 12:21 PM
His armory?
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Vek%27nilash&n=Ahti

As you can see he has a hefty amount of block. The main thing here is that the theorycrafting isn't all worked out. From what I can gather, mastery gets better as you put more points to it.

klausi
10-15-2010, 05:24 AM
I reforged my stats the last days hundreds of times and raided icc 25 hardmodes with 8% hit and expertise hard cap of 56 while only losing around 4% avoidance and with a single target tps centred specc. It really helped me out keeping the aggro on the bosses from those insane mages and warlocks while undergearing them around 20 ilvl on average.

If your gear is on par you don't need to worry about a parried shield slam, protadin and protwarr tps is very potent actually - about 25k easily, 30k managable on a constant basis with good gear and without getting buffed all the time from tricks or misdirection like earlier this year (that threat returns to the caster nowadays).

I also tryd out massing mastery but without the newest changes from the beta server it doesn't felt that good. Was about 45% blocking instead of the 30% baseline but sacrificing 6% of avoidance without reaching those magic 100%.

So my advice: try aiming for hitcap and expertise softcap without sacrificing to many avoidance stats. The bosses hit way harder (due to armor reduction, about 8k ish less for me) and your mt healers especially holy paladins are neutered this week with beacon only healing for 50%.

Agnum
10-15-2010, 07:02 AM
Does anyone know what the current caps are for all of those things or can point me to a thread that currently lists them for a Prot Warrior?