PDA

View Full Version : Warrior Should I still bother with ArPen gems at this point?

Belak
09-26-2010, 05:24 PM
Short version: My main spec is Prot and I've frequently needed 2 Prot specs for our progression. I've recently respecced my second spec to Fury and now need to enchant and gem all the gear I've collected for it but have had stashed in the bank.

At this stage of the game, when Armor Pen is about to disappear, should I bother gemming for it, or should I pretend it's already gone and just go for strength and crit?

How badly would it gimp my dps compared to an equally geared ArPen fury warrior? Assume I'm using 251/264 gear in almost all slots.

Thanks!

gd_void
09-26-2010, 06:22 PM
Well to properly answer this i'm going to assume Soft cap being your offset. If going for Soft cap(722arp+trinket) ArP i would say gem for it, if going for Hard cap(1300+ arp) I would say leave it up to your bank roll. If you have the money to gem Hard cap go for it, if not then no harm no foul, it's your offset, how often do you put it on anyways? If trying to hard cap, without ArP gems, you will be Losing a consiterable amount of DPS over a True Hard capped Person, my Overall suggestion for this would be to get the NES, or the Rune stone from uld10 HM thorim. and gem for SC, Shouldn't be more then 2-3 gems if mostly 251/264 items.

Belak
09-26-2010, 06:58 PM
I would be gemming for soft-cap. (I've got the NES.) I guess now that I look at it, it really wouldn't be that many gems for that level, but it's definitely more than 1 or 2. Just curious how much of a hit I'd take.

And yes, I realize that w/o an armory you can only respond in generalities.

joe1010011010
09-26-2010, 08:40 PM
gem how ever you would to max out, once you start the leveling process again, youll be getting quest rewarg greens and blues that are by far better than what you have now, so either way youll soon have a bunch of vendor purples

Vong
09-28-2010, 06:53 AM
Guys think you've missed the point of this post. I was going to ask same question tbh about arp but I've just done it so gold spent already :-(
Think he's asking whether to forget arp as cata looms and it's going apparently. Or go for it for now assuming new stuff will be whole lot better. I've seen fury warriors who still have str crit gems in and their dps is very close to mine and I'm hard capped now with food.
Personally I would have not bothered with arp but was bored and DBW dropped :-)

vong.

Damango
09-28-2010, 07:12 AM
planning for the future is great... but saying "oh this will be better in cata" wont help u down bosses in Live... Just weigh up weither ur guna use ur OS enought to spend the time and gold "fixing" it

Ronninn
09-28-2010, 08:08 AM
It depends on what you are expected to do now. If you are expected to help your guild with herioc modes now, then you should be min/maxing for the way dps works now. If you are just gearing up so you'll be viable in a month or so, then maybe you're right and you should consider gemming all Str, since ArP gems will be converted to Crit (which will be a pain to regem).

Loganisis
09-28-2010, 12:18 PM
Do you raid as DPS? If yes, then yes. If no, then no.

Don't gimp your raid because things will change in the future.

Freereign
09-30-2010, 07:06 AM
I was wondering the same thing. I am a hunter and was thinking of gemming ArPen but I guess I will just keep gemming Agility. I started Wrath kinda late...

Ronninn
09-30-2010, 08:43 AM
MMO-champ seems to think 4.0.1 will hit either next tues Oct 5th, or the 12th... So really you need to ask yourself, do you want to regem twice in the span of 2 weeks? or is it needed so your guild can down a boss this week that your stuck on.