PDA

View Full Version : Hunter shots priority

Toothie
09-24-2010, 01:05 AM
Hey,
I recently met few hunters, mm spec, who use chimaera shot right after serpent sting, as a second shot. i use it after steady to refresh the fading sting. I keep wondering - can changing the priority in this way higher the dps?

Warboxer
09-24-2010, 02:56 AM
Try it on a dummy?
Try it in a pug/hc?

Toothie
09-24-2010, 03:06 AM
i did, looks same for me. i tested it with two other hunters as well, similarly geared. one has noticed the increased dps, other - no. for me it is the same dps or slightly lower. that is why im asking for second opinion :)

Jammer Six
09-24-2010, 04:00 AM
Uhm, what is it you want an opinion on? Whether one set of numbers is actually greater than the other?

That's not really an opinion issue...

Theotherone
09-24-2010, 04:58 AM
Wow someone comes for help and all he gets is 12 year old I so smart and above it all sacrasim.

My MM rotation is normally Serpent Sting, Silencing Shot (not on the global cooldown so nice filler), Chim Shot, Aimed Shot, Steady Shot.

Jammer Six
09-24-2010, 08:42 AM
I don't think he came for help. I think he didn't like the answers he found for himself, and he came here hoping we had other answers for him. That's a very different thing from coming here for help.

Aspects.Boulderfist
09-24-2010, 11:04 AM
I have Silencing Shot macroed to every non-Volley attack.

Hunter's Mark
Serpent Sting (while moving into position at the beginning of the fight)
Readiness (after I'm in position, so I won't accidentally miss my stutters)

Aimed Shot (I have it Glyphed, so it comes before Chimera)
Chimera Shot (If I were to use this before Aimed Shot, it would waste 1.5 seconds of my Aimed Shot's cooldown, thus lowering my dps)
Steady Shot (as filler)

Kazeyonoma
09-24-2010, 11:29 AM
this isn't the wow forums, assume everyone here is a normal human being and is seeking aid in some way or form, and thusly be treated as human being with respect. attitude should be left at the proverbial door or gtfo.

Mend
09-25-2010, 03:08 AM
If you read the chimera shot spell description you would see that it does much more damage than steady shot, so using it right after serpent sting is a dps increase.

This way it will always keep serpent sting up while still getting off chimera shot as it comes off cooldown.

- Serpent Sting
- Chimera shot
- Aimed shot + Silencing shot macroed together
- Steady shot until any of the other shots come off cooldown

Toothie
09-27-2010, 03:12 AM
Actually I came here for help since i thought seeking the aid at more experienced players makes sense, plus a second opinion is always welcomed if it can make you use your class better. Yes,I did try both combinations in pugs and hcs. Yes, we did some checking with other hunters. Is it really that weird I asked for opinions of others? So big thank you to those who actually took their time and answered. You really helped, I appreciate it :) For those who chose to post their attitude instead of answers - thank you for your time ;)

Mallekai
09-30-2010, 12:34 AM
chimera is your 2nd hardest hitting attack, even with 100% arp (behind KS)

therefore you want to use it asap everytime, assuming serpent sting is up.
some people get confused about the serpent sting portion of chimera. it does dmg equal to 30% of the dmg serpent sting would do, if it were allowed to run its full duration. not 30% of the dmg it has done.

your priorities are:
(hunters mark)(serpentsting) KS > Chimera > Aimed > (arcane if <400arp) > Steady.
silencing and killcommand are off the GCD, so they can just be used whenever. most people have them macroed into every shot, and can then ignore them.
at >400arp, arcane does not hit as hard as Steady (factoring in the bleed steady crits produce), but is still used if you are forced to move, and other instant shots are on CD.

edit: the duration on serpent sting is about double the CD of Chimera. so there is no risk of it falling off inbetween shots.

Toothie
10-07-2010, 05:07 PM
Thank you, it really helped :)