PDA

View Full Version : Video Capture and Editing Software

Killa162
09-15-2010, 07:17 PM
What type of programs for a "first timer" to the making of videos of montages or anything really.

What are programs to go for?
By the way, I don't want any software that does special effects or anything to the video unless it comes in the software package that I actually "need".

Thank you in advance for all your replies.

Quinafoi
09-16-2010, 03:17 PM
For in game video capture the most common and recommended is still FRAPS.
www.fraps.com (http://www.fraps.com)
There is a one time charge for it and then you have lifetime membership to any updates. This is considered to be one of the highest quality video capture programs with one of the lowest system load.

Videos you generate could be quite substantial in size however. For example like 16 minutes worth of video of my 25 man's first Lich King kill was over 20GB. To get it into a more managable size, you need an encoder. Now if you're not really looking for fancy effects, www.virtualdub.org (http://www.virtualdub.org) an open source video editor works well provided you get a decent codec such as the H.264/MPEG-4 which for VirtualDub could be found here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/x264vfw/

Killa162
09-17-2010, 06:24 PM
Is there another video compacter and editor. Like whats the deal with Sony Vegas Pro or something like that. Or is there a editor that doesn't burn a whole in ur pocket but isn't from a website.

Quinafoi
09-18-2010, 05:08 PM
Sony Vegas Pro 9 is $599.95, which if you want something higher end, by all means. From your original post it sounded like you didn't care much for special effects. The higher end software has a higher price tag, but often comes with significantly more features. However if the only thing you are looking for is an encoder, there are free alternatives like VirtualDub. There are also many free filters for VirtualDub as well to do effects of your own, however they are no where near as user friendly or sophicicated as those you may find in a higher quality product like Sony Vegas Pro 9.

Fledern
09-19-2010, 06:39 AM
Sony Vegas has several versions (http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/moviestudiope/compare), cheapest being $49.95 and would suit your purposes well i think. It's a very good program, includes a few nifty tricks for combining stuff with effects, split, merge, transition etc. Stuff that you can find in almost every software but it's quite easy to use and produces more professional-looking output - imo.

There's ofcourse the Microsoft thingie that comes free with Windows. I have limited experience with it as with anything more than combining clips it proved to be....."lacking" and WMV format is really crap regarding filesizes.

The freeware HandBrake (http://handbrake.fr/) is an EXCELLENT encoder if you want to encode to H264 (why would you want anything else these days? :P) I havent tried feeding it FRAPS output though so you might want to check that out first. It's simply an encoder, nothing else. So you might want to "edit" stuff with something else and finally render & compress it with HandBrake last.

Killa162
09-19-2010, 12:48 PM
Is VirtualDub just a encoder or w/e it is? lol
Cause I downloaded it and have no clue what to do with it, you mouse over a button and doesn't tell you what it does. Like if it just plays the clip, stop, etc.

Quinafoi
09-20-2010, 09:53 AM
Going from FRAPS to encoded using VirtualDub.

First off, when recording with FRAPS, you should generally record without sound. Most of the time you would be adding different sound of your chosing later unless you want an actual gameplay video.

In general I recommend moving the raw video files you intend to use out of the FRAPS folder on your system to a new location for working with. For example, when recording a boss first kill, you likely record multiple attempts leading up to the first kill as well. You don't need all your files so split off the ones you need. Its helpful to have some sort of organization. I typically group all the source videos in one directory of a project folder and in that project folder I also include the soundtrack I intend to use and any filter information such as subtitler filter transcript file for adding simple credits.

When you have the videos recorded, open up the VirtualDub application. Drag the first part of the video into the VirtualDub window and it will load. Since videos can be very large and span multiple files generated by FRAPS, you will then want to use the File, "Append AVI Segment" option to add additional files to the end of the current video. Once you have your entire video loaded you are ready to encode.

To encode your video, assuming you are using H.264/MPEG-4 like above, you would go under Video, "Compression". The H.264 codec should be listed on the left, select it. I won't go into particular advanced settings, you can just leave them as defaulted. To save the video using that selected compression, use File, Save As AVI. Rename and change location as you see fit, you do not want it to overwrite your source file.

That's the simple parts of just loading the video in and compressing it. You can do a lot of other things like import a custom audio or apply filter effects. For example in a Lich King video I did I went through about 4 uncompressed iterations of applying various filters because there was a bit of editing work involved before I was ready to save it into a compressed format. VirtualDub is free but can do quite a few things once you get the hang of it, there are hundreds if not thousands of free filters out there (you want to make your video look like an old silent film, there's a filter for that). It's just no where near as user friendly as some name brand products like Sony Vegas.

Killa162
09-20-2010, 03:08 PM
To make a small note atm since I don't have FRAPS yet and idk if I will since Xfire does a good job of recording video and when I uploaded a little video in WoW it automatically have me the 720p option for HD. Also xfire compresses the file for you then uploads it to xfire.com. But aside from that it compresses the file size from a big 1gb+ size to below 1gb all the time most likely.

But with that being said I will just use Xfire since I can also just do it on the fly since I always have xfire running. If this changes any of your tips on what to do with VirtDub then say so. Thanks :)