PDA

View Full Version : Tanking Die super fast in H PoS

Xkon
09-15-2010, 02:41 PM
I hit 80 a few days ago, and hit my first road block. I seem to be taking hits like a boulder through tissue paper in H PoS. Even on the first pull (which is a single skellie on the right side) I feel like im working in the red light district I get ran through so fast. I'm not taking crits, just big hits. Then im expected to run through the middle of the avalanche tunnel...yea right lol. I would prefer to stay out of there, but the random will stick me me in there some times, and never with success. I thought I was gearing up pretty good. Any pointers, or advice?

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Velen&cn=Xk%C3%B8n

Thanks guys.

uglybbtoo
09-15-2010, 09:58 PM
You aren't geared for this instance thats all :=)

You can do it but I wont say its going to be easy I survived it at as a 27K HP baby tank but that was with an ICC geared guild healer behind me and I was stunning and spell reflecting every CD. The last boss is even less fun at your sort of 28K HP range.

Leave it up to you what to do if you get it as a random but you know the level of your gear you are going to struggle with this instance and it's simply lack of gear.

Mnbt
09-16-2010, 06:04 AM
Where uglybbtoo here is bashing your gear for the most part, which is in fact not that far-fetched seen that you might be a bit undergeared, one might seem to forget that this is one of the "hardest" heroics out there. It's designed to be hard and therefore designed for you to take alot of damage. Your gear might actually be the problem here though.

My advice: stack some buff food / flasks in your bags. They won't do that much, but they'll help atleast. Ans since you're just queueing up for the randoms, you shouldn't be put in that instance all the time. So just keep that in your bags until he pops up and use it then. Apart from that I'm afraid that there isn't much u can do except trying to avoid the instance completely until you're a bit more geared up.

Hoping for a good healer might work aswel! ;-)

Hope it helped.

Xkon
09-16-2010, 07:03 AM
Honestly, I figured it was my gear. But a guild rogue (also fresh 80) insists I'm fine. At what point should a tank look to do HPoS and HHoR. All I see is 22k hp and 21k arm with 535d to do heroics and same stats but 540d for naxx.

Bowen
09-16-2010, 07:20 AM
Your spec needs cleaning up, go for improved disciplines and glyph for last stand and shield wall. There are the ulduar boots and belt, TOC chest which are super cheap to get now and upgrades for you.

Fledern
09-16-2010, 08:38 AM
It is mostly your gear. I'm not saying you cant tank the place in blues, you can. Problem is, most of your blues are SOOOO lowlevel that you might be not wearing anything inthose spots.

You're lacking in both hp & armor. Hp i'm not going to say is inadequate. But your armor levels definitely are. When getting hit by multiple mobs, armor will do more work for you than hp. Replace those really low level stuff and you should be fine. Blues are ok but at least aim for ilvl 200 blues at least and try to hit 535 defense through gear only so you can stuff stam gems in your sockets. That dodge gem is a total mistake for example. Besides, if you're using pvp gear like you are, you can go below 535 defense too and make up for the difference through resilience.

Mnbt
09-16-2010, 08:41 AM
All I see is 22k hp and 21k arm with 535d to do heroics and same stats but 540d for naxx.

Which is correct, but I recon these instances require a bit more. Remember, they're implented in the game after ToC was released, and the ILevel of the items that drop in the ICC heroics are 232 - thesame as the T9 gear. So really, you might clean up your spec, but getting a gear upgrade will probably do alot more.

Here are some sugestions (they're fairly cheap to make):
Feet: Spiked Deathdealers (http://www.wowhead.com/item=45560)
Chest: Breastplate of the White Knight (http://www.wowhead.com/item=47592)
Waist: Indestructible Plate Girdle (http://www.wowhead.com/item=45551)
*Legs: Pillars of Might (http://www.wowhead.com/item=49904)

*These are on the long run. Just try and save up some money for the Primo's and you should be fine after a while. These are still extremely good legs and even better as the 251 T10 warrior set. Same goes for the feet by the way. You can also go for the ICC 264 feet if you'd like, but then the whole picture gets quite expensive. The ones listed above should get you quite a gear-boost and after crafting those I recon you should be able to tank pretty much any heroic in the game so far.

Revising you spec might also be a good idea, but I don't play a warrior tank, so I can't help you with that.

Hope it helped.

Xkon
09-16-2010, 09:11 AM
It is mostly your gear. I'm not saying you cant tank the place in blues, you can. Problem is, most of your blues are SOOOO lowlevel that you might be not wearing anything inthose spots.

You're lacking in both hp & armor. Hp i'm not going to say is inadequate. But your armor levels definitely are. When getting hit by multiple mobs, armor will do more work for you than hp. Replace those really low level stuff and you should be fine. Blues are ok but at least aim for ilvl 200 blues at least and try to hit 535 defense through gear only so you can stuff stam gems in your sockets. That dodge gem is a total mistake for example. Besides, if you're using pvp gear like you are, you can go below 535 defense too and make up for the difference through resilience.

Meta gem requires a red gem, and its a pvp helm, which will be upgraded once I get pve helm to drop.

As for upgrades, I know what to get, its just a matter of getting it. I only hit 80 last friday guys, I cant magicly shit gear, or go buy gold just to be able to tank this stuff. I was just curious as to what the deal was for getting ran through so fast.

As a side not, my buddy rogue ran HPoS with a DK buffed to 26k, and 3700 GS. They wiped twice, once in the avalanche hall, and on last boss. Other then that he said it whent really smooth. Do dk's have an ability that make tanking easier for them since they dont get to use shields?

Mnbt
09-16-2010, 09:27 AM
Do dk's have an ability that make tanking easier for them since they dont get to use shields?

Not exactly. He probably ran it with a Blood DK Tank though, meaning that this tank probably was spamming Death Strike alot (because that's just what we do) and therefore kicking his own health up a notch, reducing the job of the healer a little. Next to that they also have Rune Tap (http://www.wowhead.com/spell=48982) which doesn't have a long cooldown and can save lives especialy if use it right after Icebound Fortitude (http://www.wowhead.com/spell=48792).

This is all next to the actual question though, because you might start to think that DK tanks are actually "better" tank than Warriors.

Getting your armor up is a very good idea, but it'll be hard to hit the def cap without gemming Def in your first few weeks. Dropping Def for Resillience is NOT a good idea, as Resillience never whipes out CB's. So I strongly discourage this!

Michultradk
09-16-2010, 09:47 AM
The advice about the food and flask is sometihng you should do, Spiced Worm burger works well for me. Stonesblood mixed with that and raid buffs will give you close to 2k added health.
Several other things you can do; Run normal ToC and get the Black Heart trinket, another 1100 health and easy to get with chain running. Your first frost badge purchase should be the Cloak, you will get a lot of mileage out of that along with the Belt and Skeleton Key but the CLoak first IMHO.
Also for your helm get a tabard from the Argent Crusade quarter master and work your rep until you can get Arcanum of the Stalwart Protector, another 370 hp.
Pick up the Mighty armor enchant for your cloak for another 275 armor. Get the Super Health enchant for your chest, another 275 health. Some will argue my point about dropping your defense a little but I think pure health will help more and your defense will build with better gear and if you are running a lot of dungeons it will happen pretty fast. Along those same lines when it comes to gold you may opt for the lesser stam gems since you will change out gear so fast at this stage, the cost of the rare quality gem is much less than the epic. Also, get the Atlas loot addon and make you a wish list of gear from heroics and run those dungeons until you get what you need.
DOnt gem for parry or dodge

Xkon
09-16-2010, 10:08 AM
Dk's are starting to sound pretty sweet.

Thanks for all the help so far guys. I have been eye raping wow loot, wowhead, and atlas loot since I came back to lvl from 70 to 80. So I have a pretty good idea of what gear to get and where. Its just I'm also trying to get my wifes priest to 80 also, so my instance farming is taking a big hit lol.

As for gemming, I know to gem all stam. I only used the dodge for the meta on my helm. And for now gemed def on my chest, just because I dont like subing res for def from my pvp gear, and honestly its a blue chest and will replace it as soon as i can get one to drop from pos or toc.

I have been using food, but will look into flasks, I just remember flasks as being very expensive, but that was bwl era.

mistrale
09-16-2010, 10:27 AM
Of all the dungeons ive run, the pack mobs in POS are the ones that try my HP pool the most.. even more so than HOR imo. thats with 30+k hp. Just keep plugging away at the gear and it will get easier. save what you can for the icc crafteds.

Laning
09-16-2010, 10:32 AM
One of the things to remember about using resil to get uncrittable, you don't gain other tanking stats from it. This means you will have a lower dodge, parry and block then you would using defense to become uncrittable. While resil is nice to "bridge the gap", expect to get hit more then a solid defense tank.

In regards to PoS. You have to have a certain gearscore before you can get it as a random que. Using ilvl 232 pvp gear inflates that gearscore while missing those tank stats. It will then allow you to que into it when your stats are behind what should be used to be there. This is probably where you see all the damage coming from.

Congrats on hitting 80 and best of luck.

Xkon
09-16-2010, 10:39 AM
One of the things to remember about using resil to get uncrittable, you don't gain other tanking stats from it. This means you will have a lower dodge, parry and block then you would using defense to become uncrittable. While resil is nice to "bridge the gap", expect to get hit more then a solid defense tank.

In regards to PoS. You have to have a certain gearscore before you can get it as a random que. Using ilvl 232 pvp gear inflates that gearscore while missing those tank stats. It will then allow you to que into it when your stats are behind what should be used to be there. This is probably where you see all the damage coming from.

Congrats on hitting 80 and best of luck.

Hmm. Forgot about that. Maybe que with lesser gear, and switch gear once im in a lower heroic? untill all gear slots are more solid? That sounds almost genius just to get badges and some of the pieces im missing.

Laning
09-16-2010, 10:46 AM
Yes. If you want to make sure you won't get PoS, once you put on lesser gear, go into the que for specific heroic. If PoS is locked due to your GS, you won't get it on a random. Once you get inside don't forget to flip your gear back. Best way to handle the gear flips is equipment manager. Once you have the badges, I would recommend to replace your chest, shoulder and helm before upgrading your other tanking gear.

Roana
09-16-2010, 10:51 AM
Dk's are starting to sound pretty sweet.

That's until you realize that they don't have an attack power debuff, while Demoralizing Shout alone can significantly reduce incoming damage. :) The difference is probably worth a tier of gear or so, outside of caster bosses.

Caric
09-16-2010, 10:54 AM
You can get a lot of gear quickly just by grinding regular 5 man toc. Can run it over and over again, and there is a decent mix of tanking gear in there.

kopcap
09-16-2010, 11:37 AM
I ran PoS in a 3.5-3.8 party, we wiped about eight times but it was a lot of fun. As long as the heals are decent and people know what to do on bosses - the only hard part is the hill. Need CC there.

And lose your defense rating gems, you are way overcapped.

uglybbtoo
09-16-2010, 12:49 PM
Yes. If you want to make sure you won't get PoS, once you put on lesser gear, go into the que for specific heroic. If PoS is locked due to your GS, you won't get it on a random. Once you get inside don't forget to flip your gear back. Best way to handle the gear flips is equipment manager. Once you have the badges, I would recommend to replace your chest, shoulder and helm before upgrading your other tanking gear.

Doesn't work like or didnt when I alst looked a few weeks ago you can infact queue for H-HOR naked try it the server somehow knows you last high level gear ... try it.

We complained to blizz if you have levelled as a dps and have very high dps gear and then switch to tanking and your gear may be crap it will often give you H-HOR.

Loganisis
09-20-2010, 07:04 AM
H HoR is a true horror for warrior tanking until you get expereinced... and if you don't have any high burst damage DPS...

As for your gear... PvP gear, if it's 3 or 4 item item levels above avaialble PvE gear IS a good upgrade. Res gives more crit immunity per rating and has more armor and stamina. You lose some avoidance, but if you're looking at an iLVL 245 PvP helm and a 200 PvE helm, 245 PvP all the way.

Get Glyph of Idom next. 245 Triumph Trinket. 1792 armor. Get it.

Get some guildies to farm gear with you. Normal HoR, first 2 bosses, then reset. 219 Tanking Cloak and sheild drops, both good upgrades.

Griff
09-20-2010, 02:51 PM
I didn't do the math but does your resilience give you enough to cover your shortage in defence rating? If you are not, that might explain why you're getting tuned up so quickly.

Resil is a weak sister as a replacement for defense.

Gid
09-20-2010, 03:52 PM
As Loganisis said, try running normal HoR for some gear, infact run all the new icc normals, im fairly certain you get emblems from those boss encounters no matter the setting ( correct me if im wrong, i very well could be).
Farm Normal ToC for your trinket, its a handy starter and remember, STUNS ARE YOUR FRIEND, use them as often as humanly possible, chain them if you need to / can.
I know it's all been said in one thread or another but saying it again isnt gonna hurt lol