PDA

View Full Version : Death Knight Runestrike- why does no DK tanking FAQ mention it?

UdderTank
09-13-2010, 08:45 PM
I'm new to the DK tanking world. I've been pretty successful tanking a paladin, druid, and warrior. I had an unused level 80 DK laying around so I figured I'd get some gear and do some DK tanking.

I read a bunch of the DK tanking faqs and was doing pretty well tanking. Then I went to spend some of my emblems to buy a new sigil.

I noticed all of the emblem sigils are based off the use of Runestrike. I went through Most of the FAQ's I had previously read and didn't see the use of runestrike mentioned at all, much less included in any tank rotation.

So, what's the deal? Apparently Blizzard believes we use runestrike a lot or they wouldn't have based all of the sigils off of its use.

The only mention I found of it was on wowiki where they mentioned adding it to macros to autocast when you use other attacks.

Please help the newbie DK tank look less foolish than I already do. :)

TheYanger
09-14-2010, 12:10 AM
Every standard ability you use, /macro
New macro
#showtooltip
/cast Heart Strike (or whatever ability you're making a macro for here)
/cast Rune Strike

Use that instead of the normal ability button.

AT MINIMUM: HS, DS, IT, PS, DC. I wouldn't macro it to IBF or AMS since those cost RP and generally you want to make sure they go off if you're hitting them, everything else Rune Strike is ALWAYS the best choice so don't worry about the rp cost.

gd_void
09-14-2010, 03:57 AM
#showtooltip Heart Strike
/cast Heart Strike
/cast !Rune Strike

You need the ! before Rune Strike so that when you hit your next ability Rune Strike isn't clicked off
And incase you didn't know the #showtooltip <spell> macro will give you the icon of said spell, only way to get the Heart Strike icon on a macro.
but yea i have RS macro'd to HS, PS, IT, DC, DS, Blood tap, and DnD(incase i throw down a second one during a fight)

Deathsvalor
09-14-2010, 08:32 AM
Rune Strike is the highest threat Runic Power dump you have and takes priority over DC and FS.
The reason you do not see it in guides is because most DKs just macro it and forget about it.

#showtooltip Icytouch
/cast Icytouch
/script UIErrorsFrame:UnregisterEvent("UI_ERROR_MESSAGE")
/cast Rune Strike
/script UIErrorsFrame:RegisterEvent("UI_ERROR_MESSAGE")
/startattack

It is not possible to click off Rune Stike so the ! is not needed but it will not break the macro if you put it in.
The /script UIErrorsF... lines prevent getting "that ability is not ready yet" errors whenever you press a button without Rune Strike available.
The /startattack line allows you to start auto-attacks against your target by pressing the button even without any runes available.

Most all DK tanks use these macros but be aware that in situations where you need to use an ability on command that uses Runic Power (IBF, Mindfreeze, AMS), a bad streak of misses coupled with an avoidance streak can leave you rune starved and unable to do so. So use with caution.

Bobsmash
09-16-2010, 06:17 AM
I'm the determined non-intellegent person that refuses to use macro's for tanking.

gd_void
09-16-2010, 08:34 AM
It is not possible to click off Rune Stike so the ! is not needed but it will not break the macro if you put it in.

Had no idea, learn something new everyday, Guess my macro'n skills are too Fury warrior based.