PDA

View Full Version : Tanking Stupid taunt question for various stackable bosses

Beullah
09-07-2010, 12:52 PM
So basically I've begun tanking and have a very noob-ey question. I know with various bosses the MT and OT have to pull off of each other due to stacking damage buffs from the boss (ex: in the case of Gormok in TOC and Toravon in VOA). I know the stack number when I'm supposed to taunt on these, but I'm wondering if there is an easy way to see when the other tank has the right number of stacks for me to taunt? Do most people have an add on for this, or a custom UI, or what? It's kind of hard for me to tell/see. Any "halp" is appreciated lol.

Theotherone
09-07-2010, 12:54 PM
So basically I've begun tanking and have a very noob-ey question. I know with various bosses the MT and OT have to pull off of each other due to stacking damage buffs from the boss (ex: in the case of Gormok in TOC and Toravon in VOA). I know the stack number when I'm supposed to taunt on these, but I'm wondering if there is an easy way to see when the other tank has the right number of stacks for me to taunt? Do most people have an add on for this, or a custom UI, or what? It's kind of hard for me to tell/see. Any "halp" is appreciated lol.

Except for Stinky and Precious, the stacks on the other tank normally show up in my raid chat; now I don't know if that's a function of having DBM or if that's another of my addons or if it's just the WoW UI.

Raysere
09-07-2010, 01:00 PM
Except for Stinky and Precious, the stacks on the other tank normally show up in my raid chat; now I don't know if that's a function of having DBM or if that's another of my addons or if it's just the WoW UI.

That's DBM.

Get some decent unitframes (no, the default ones are not decent) and set them up so you can see target of target debuffs clearly.

Fetzie
09-07-2010, 01:09 PM
My bossmod (DXE) prints stackable buffs/debuffs in the raidwarning frame

Nez
09-07-2010, 01:13 PM
You can also just put the other tank up in a focus frame and watch it there. Focus is useful for lots of things.
Target that person, type "/focus" Focus frame will appear.
Then type "/focus" with nothing targeted to remove that frame.

Loganisis
09-07-2010, 02:50 PM
Deadly Boss Mods announces it, but isn't the application in the chat window to? It seems to show up there first, so in more brainless situations Like Gormock and Torvan (as opposed to Saurfang and PP which require managing abilities or movement) I usually look for the chat box indication.

TheYanger
09-07-2010, 03:37 PM
Again, that is a function of DBM, it doesn't do that by default. Gormok you can see him casting impale so it's easy enough to just count. But yeah really you want a target of target window with debuffs visible.

Insahnity
09-07-2010, 07:44 PM
DBM is the way to go. Don't raid without it, it will tell you how many stacks the person has. If you cannot run it or something goes wrong, the Raid Leader or a Raid Assistant with a functional DBM can go into their config and turn on "Announce to Raid", and their DBM will announce to raid the same info.

And then there is the conventional method, namely using Ventrillo and having each tank yell out "taunt" when they have reached the requisite number of stacks. Even with DBM, Ventrillo is better sometimes due to lag, outdated versions, bugs, etc. so I recommend that as a backup.

Fledern
09-07-2010, 10:35 PM
While DBM/DXE are good alternatives and i have dxe setup, i still prefer using the target of target frame to manage my taunting. for example, DXE will accurately countdown the rune of blood cooldown on saurfang but saurfang can do multiple non-tank casts before actually landing the rune of blood. At such times it's better to see when the debuff actually lands.

As unitframes, i'm very pleased with shadowed unitframes. I've tried several others but SUF came out with nearly everything setup the way i wanted it. The Target of Target frame is set up to show only debuffs which arent that many so i can easily see when the debuff lands.

One other way would be to setup power auras to show you a visible warning but you'd have to set it up individually for each boss.

Linkie
09-07-2010, 10:45 PM
I personally use Grid. It's very lean and doesn't take up much space, but is very useful for monitoring your whole raid. Easy to see stacks, mana of your healers, deaths, aggro pulls, etc.

Raysere
09-07-2010, 11:55 PM
I'd rather use target of target frames than the DBM warnings, staring at the chatbox rather than the field of play is not a healthy habbit for a tank to be getting in to.

Queepeg
09-08-2010, 07:15 AM
Agreed, use target of target.

Focussing your fellow tank can work but for some fights you will prefer to focus the boss or may have a third tank to watch out for.

I'd also add a succinct "taunt" or "I have x stacks" call out on Vent/Mumble to make doubly sure your OT is paying attention.

Raid frames such as X-Perl will also allow you to enlarge debuffs to make them more prominent.

Bashal
09-08-2010, 09:38 AM
I'd also add a succinct "taunt" or "I have x stacks" call out on Vent/Mumble to make doubly sure your OT is paying attention.

We always just use that method for tank swaps; just have the two tanks talk it out. Although, in a PUG it might be more necessary to be able to see it yourself.