PDA

View Full Version : Tanking 60 Prot Warrior halp with gear?

roflelf
09-06-2010, 10:05 AM
I am a recent arrival to outland and I have pretty much leveled to 60 by doing instances and hardly any quests at all. I started doing my first instance in outland (cant remember the name) but I am constantly fighting death with good heals and agree with my group mates that I need to gear up.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Area+52&cn=Roflelf

My question to everyone here would be what quests sound the best for good gear at this level? I am looking at the dreadnaught battle gear but I am not a big quester and want to get to 80 rather than spend weeks getting gear just to outlevel them. Any advice is appreciated!

-rofl

Arman
09-06-2010, 10:47 AM
Either find someone(s) to carry you or start skilling up your blacksmithing (or buy from another blacksmith). Level 60 is a dangerous time for any character new to Outlands. The Fel Iron Plate gear will work until you get some questing done. You're going to have to either quest a lot or blacksmith a lot to fill in gear gaps until you can survive instances.

Insahnity
09-07-2010, 07:31 PM
If you have an 80 to fund this toon, then just go to the AH and buy whatever "of Defense" and "Of the Champion" gear, even if it's greens. If you can afford it, go with defense enchants, and if you pick up items with sockets, cram in defense. You can get pretty far just swapping those out as you level. "Of stamina" gear doesn't really solve your problems.

You *have* to get a shield. Don't try this with a 2h weapon.

If you are dirt poor, then it's gonna be a long time leveling, you will need to plan out what to chase and hope for the best. There's a defense trinket that is a quest reward in Hellfire, along with a few other goodies, use wowhead with the filter (Character level 60-69 for all, of course) "Quest Rewards" and "Defense", or "Quest Rewards" and "Plate Mail" and "Quest Rewards" and "Shield". Then apply same filters but with "Drop in Normal Mode" instead of "Quest Rewards".

Your spec is incorrect. Stop trying to get into other trees until you finish the prot tree. Try this and see how it works out, a lot of the good talents are at the bottom of the tree.
http://www.wowarmory.com/talent-calc.xml?cid=1&tal=0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 000000000000023351225000212520230113321

roflelf
09-08-2010, 06:28 AM
Insahnity, thanks for all the advice I REALLY appreciate it. I didn't realize that if I put everything into protect I would be at the bottom of the tree!!!! I am going to respect tonight!

Unfortunately, this is my first toon (and broke from buying my flying mount) so I am currently grinding for gear in hellfire and having some great success getting upgrades using this guide:

http://www.wow.com/2007/11/30/the-care-and-feeding-of-warriors-outland-awaits-you/

I do have a very excellent shield 2500 armor and +block no stam :( or procs...

Thank you again for being helpful and honest I can't wait to try my new spec tonight.

theodisius
09-08-2010, 06:49 AM
Hellfire starter quests have wonderful rewards that are a massive upgrade on the levelling gear you will be bringing from Azeroth. IIRC, the fel iron crafted stuff is inferior and only available at later levels.

Beyond that, I would encourage you to look out the quest rewards and adamantite crafter gear that come with gem sockets (typically available in Zangamarsh and Terokkar Forest). By putting Northrend gems in that gear, you will be incredibly powerful by around level 65. I filled almost every slot with socketed gear and even though it was typically low level green stuff, it gave me around 12k hp at level 66 making normal instances a breeze. Switching to cobalt crafted gear in Northrend lowered my stamina.

roflelf
09-08-2010, 08:50 AM
Theodisius,

Are you talking about the gear in this series:

http://www.wowhead.com/item=23508/adamantite-plate-gloves#comments

If so those are looking like a perfect upgrade when I get to 66 as I am collecting gold if I don't find anything comparable in quests.

Is there a general rule any of you guys like to follow when questing for gear rather than doing instances? I like instances for the group play and other reasons and I figure questing for gear a small portion of my time maybe every 5-6 levels is acceptable. I'd rather find it than buy it but if it gets me 10 levels I will buy it in a heartbeat.

sifuedition
09-08-2010, 10:44 AM
Wow-loot.com

Really...this site ROCKS. Make your gear shopping lists by role, zone and dungeon.

roflelf
09-08-2010, 12:46 PM
Sweet! Thanks for the link I will be checking that all the time now.