PDA

View Full Version : Tanking DK at 70

eldemonio
09-04-2010, 08:19 AM
Good Morning; so I'm leveling a DK tank and have been tanking a ton of random dungeons as both Frost and Blood. I took a small break from tanking from 68-70 just to get some of the Northrend gear. Before Northrend I was tanking just fine, with no problems whatsover in both specs. Last night I tanked my first Wrath dungeon Utgarde Keep and arose what seemed to be a problem. I was SQUISHY!! A couple of times my health dropped so fast I had to use a health pot, I constantly tried to keep unbreakable armor and icebound fortitude up and anything else I could do to make myself less squishy but I still seemed very squishy. Here is my armory http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Lightbringer&cn=Historian I'm not sure what exactly was wrong and any advice would be greatly appreciated. I understand already that I don't have a ton of defense or avoidance stats; could that be the problem already at this low level? Thanks in advance.

Jtree
09-05-2010, 08:23 AM
I've got the same story, except swap "DK" for "warrior". I guess it's just that things are hitting a lot harder in Northrend, I certainly didn't feel that it was my play that was inadequate. My plan is to just keep leveling, upgrading my gear, and rolling with the punches.

Vigilant
09-07-2010, 08:22 AM
The problem is that you're rocking >50% dps gear, which might have gotten you by in BC 5-mans, but will get you rofl stomped in the WoTLK ones. The simple solution, for a tank of any plate-wearing class, is to buy the crafted Cobalt tanking set off the AH, which should provide you enough +defense rating at your level to keep you from getting critted right and left, like you probably are now. It usually costs literally next to nothing.

http://www.wowwiki.com/Cobalt_collection

You have already picked up some of the good tanking quest rewards that are available from quest lines. There are several that take you into The Nexus, Azjol-Nerub, and Ahn'Kahet and provide good upgrades to your hands, boots, etc. You can upgrade your Cobalt set pieces with those when applicable.

Finally, in one more level, you can start to purchase some of the crafted Tempered Saronite tanking set, and replace Cobalt set pieces or quest reward pieces with that, as well. It too is usually dirt cheap.

http://www.wowwiki.com/Tempered_Saronite_plate_armor_collection

The combination of Cobalt pieces, tanking dungeon quest rewards, and Tempered Saronite pieces will take you to 80 with relative ease. Good luck!

gd_void
09-07-2010, 08:52 AM
I agree completly with Vigilant, however as a personal choice I would also add that you may want to consider also switching out your BOE Chest/shoulders/weapon I know I know all that experiance you will lose! but if you look at it from a more long term standing you will gain alot more from wearing the colbalt chest/shoulders and getting some random 2h weapon(I used the axe from UK) and putting stoneskin gargoyle on it.

Also your spec is very cookie cutter, with some bad choices(imp blood pres and blood worms) I would suggest going for a spec that was more like: http://www.wowarmory.com/talent-calc.xml?cid=6&tal=0355021533003313230220101350300000000000000000 000000000000050000000000000000000000000000

Putting your last seven (in this order) into:
-Morbidity - you'll need this for AoE threat
-Epidemic - A lot easier to keep up diseases with this
-Will of the Necropolis - Gonna help keep you upright

Nereel
09-07-2010, 09:43 AM
I also have a frost DK tank that I have been leveling primarily through the dungeon finder - currently level 72.

Based on my research I concluded that at level 70 I needed to have approximately 490 in defense. From what I found this was the goal for end game tanking in BC. My goal is to try and add 5 additional defense for each level I go up so that I end up at 540 when I ding 80.

I was able to achieve 490 defense with a complete set of the cobalt tanking gear, enchanting for defense, and adding a defense gem using the eternal belt buckle. With this setup every healer that I have had from 70-72 has indicated that I am very easy to heal in comparison to other tanks they have run with.

What I am finding is that the quest rewards from the Nexus don't provide as much defense as the cobalt pieces however they do add other stats so I am a little under my defense goal at level 72.

So my advice is to get the cobalt gear and then have it enchanted.

Crittable
09-07-2010, 02:23 PM
@ Nereel:

Something that you should remember is: as you get closer to 80, the more defense rating per 1 defense point goes up. I was sitting at 517 defense on my 75 pally. I dinged 76 and immediately that defense dropped to 515'ish with the same gear. The closer and closer I got to 80, the lower and lower my defense went. By the time I dinged 80, I was down to 512 defense with upgrading a few pieces at 78 and 79.

Razilius
09-07-2010, 03:15 PM
Quick question, why are you using a BoA weapon? They cannot be runeforged, and thus you are losing out on a free weapon enchant, which is pretty much one of the main features of a DK. Try looking through some of the dungeon loot and find a nice tanking weapon that way you can runeforge it.

Insahnity
09-07-2010, 08:22 PM
In WotLK, tanking dungeons should be an exercise in acquiring gear. If you are tanking to get to 80, yer doing it wrong. Therefore, using BoA gear while tanking is kinda pointless, unless you are rocking a lot of other over the top gear (i.e. Tanking gear from Sunwell/BT/Hyjal), which isn't likely.

As stated earlier, do fill in gaps in your gear with crafted cobalt, it's stupidly cheap. Also, pick up professions (mining would be useful until you hit 80, as would skinning or herbing).

As for spec, you should have full point in Toughness BEFORE Anticipation, and certainly before Improved Icy Touch. What differentiates a DK tank from a DPS tank is simply having 5/5 in Blade Barrier, Toughness and Anticipation, everything else is secondary to those.