PDA

View Full Version : Tanking New prot pally needing suggestions

Cabb
09-03-2010, 03:47 PM
Ok guys, so until now I have been a holy paladin, and am now switching to prot. I have 2 pieces of t9 (shoulders and gloves) and 5k gold. I'm looking to keep the bought pieces relatively low, but I do need some suggestions of gear pieces i can start out with. Thanks!!

Invincibelf
09-03-2010, 04:22 PM
i would suggest getting some ToC pieces made. also don't forget to pick up the black heart from toc5, above all dont forget to ensure you are defence capped (540 for raids, 535 for heroics) so that you dont get crit'd.

As for the toc pieces, saronite swordbreakers and possibly breastplate of the white knight if you must get it made.

i would also advise running heroics for emblems and buying the tank necklace using conquests, and other tier 9 pieces from triumphs.

Good luck! and i hope all goes well.

sangredios
09-03-2010, 06:05 PM
I used 48 hours /played to gear my level 80 alt death knight, and all the gear you need you can get with emblems and dungeon drops. I did TOC > POS > HOR (normal > heroic), getting black heart took me along time which slowed my progress, TOC normal does not drop emblems.

As tank you should get instant LFD queues, which makes the emblem grind easy. It pays off to start tanking as soon as you can, even long before you are def capped. On the death knight i started tanking in blue/green tank/dps gear with something like 475 def i think, it did cost some wipes but it was also fun.

Saronite Swordbreakers was the only thing i had crafted, you can get a alchemist to transmute the titanium and a miner to make the titansteel. I had the mats crafted and the total price was around 800G, fair price for a il 245 item.

Cabb
09-03-2010, 06:32 PM
Yeah so far i've got the two pieces of t9 a decent belt and legs, titansteel mace and shield wall. should i just buy some cheap blues to start with then?

Chasey
09-04-2010, 09:14 PM
Not to be to harsh but if you are holy you know what it takes to heal tanks, then you should know what you need in terms of being healable. If you have an uncrittable set try some of the easier heroics. Upgrade the worst piece of gear every time.

Oh and another point as a pally, if no on wants gear and it will help you put a ret/prot/or holy set together, don't pass it up. Use the benifit of being a hybid to gear yourself as you go.

uglybbtoo
09-06-2010, 08:15 PM
Like most said grab some guildies go do normal and heroic FOS,POS,HOR,TOC collect loot ... setup spec go tanking.

Shouldn't take you more than 2-3 hrs