PDA

View Full Version : I had a dream that Blizz started selling gold for rl currency.

Valandris
09-01-2010, 11:28 AM
It was a very intriguing dream that was very clear about the mixed reactions and consequences of that situation.

Positive Consequence: I dreamed that all the gold farming sites reportedly died out because they couldn't compete with Blizzard on prices (for obvious reasons lol). In turn, this led to the end of gold spammers in major cities.
Positive Reaction: Everyone praised Blizzard for killing off the gold farmers and freeing the major cities of spam.

Negative Consequence: AH prices INFLATED a dozen times what it is now. People are running around with anything and everything under the sun, and many ppl with profs are charging 100g tips.
Negative Reaction: Everyone also criticized Blizzard for:

Making the game even easier by making gold sinks barely a problem.
Crashing the entire economies of every server.
Turning the success of a WoW gamer into who can spend the most rl money on gold, and in some respects making WoW a "paid version of Runes of Magic(an item shop funded MMO)"

I have to say though, I am glad that Blizzard has yet to do this, despite the fact that gold farmers are an eternal nuisance to me and every other fair and square gamer out there, casual or elitist.

Do yall think I have some unusually vivid and analytical dreams?

Bowen
09-02-2010, 04:26 AM
They probably will do if they get to the point of putting gear in the online store.

Pets - mounts - gear - gold.

Møønbøøt
09-06-2010, 02:20 AM
Phiuw, you have some very vivid dreams indeed man ;-).

On the topic then: I don't think alot of people would actually spend that much "RL Currency" on gold. The problem is that Blizzard is still releasing expansion packs. I don't know when they're planning on stopping that, but my guess is that they're not really planning on pulling the plug on WoW that soon. My point here is that Blizzard has already got to keep the "inflation problem" in mind, because there's inflation with every expansion. This means that it's very hard for Blizzard to actually ask a steady price for the ingame currency, as it's value changes every 2-ish years.

On the other hand... Activision gave us a mini-Thailand where we can change the gender of our ingame characters, so I wouldn't be surprised if we would be able to buy ingame gold. I wouldn't really mind though ;-).

Synestar
09-09-2010, 07:44 AM
Here is an added bonus to closing down gold farmers.....LESS HACKED ACCOUNTS.

I got hacked back in April. I didn't care since at that time I quit the game and wasn't planning on coming back. I lost 30k and all my rarer items in my inventory and all my ores gems and everything else that was sellable to a vendor.

I just came back to the game got my authenticator and contacted a GM. They told me they don't keep records past 3 months and all my stuff is gone for good unless I have an achievement stating that I got some item through that.

I am not that upset since i didnt handle my problem back in April which is my own fault. The only thing I wish I had was my Haliscan hat since it was an ally quest and I switched to a horde and still had it. I also wish I had my 30k still but I have made a bit since I came back.

Møønbøøt
09-14-2010, 09:47 AM
I don't see why this problem would be solved? Hackers are and will remain on the internet since its a "cheap" way to make some cash. Besides, a hacker =/= a goldfarmer ;-). Trust me, closing down the farmers won't stop the hackers. Au contraire. There'll probably more hackers then there are at the moment.

Bowen
09-14-2010, 11:24 AM
Funnily enough not all people that are hacked, go to dodgy sites.

I logged into the offficial wow forums for the first time in months, I used the basic addons and run full protection, I was out all the next day come home to find I have been hacked for the first time ever in 3 years, my comp was clean.

Two other friends got hacked with authenticators already on their accounts, run no addons and don't visit any dodgy sites. one of them hadn't played wow in 3 months wtf.

I have heard whispers of inside company tricks, after my own hack I personally am in no rush to dismiss this as an option.