PDA

View Full Version : The Weekly Marmot -- Preparing Your Guild For Cataclysm

Ciderhelm
08-31-2010, 03:21 PM
GJTvoJZXiFU

Luanmali
08-31-2010, 06:21 PM
So I guess I'll ask be the first to ask...
What was being played on the screen to your left?

Anyway, Glad to see you've covering the bases, from end-of-expansion last week to preperations this week. How long do you think it will take for guilds to get accustomed to the new expansion and be back to their usual ways? Or I guess it would be best to inquire about the average length of time, since guilds do their thing on their own schedule...

Fiasco
08-31-2010, 06:21 PM
Awesome as always man. You need a haircut though, true story... :P

Edit - Thinking your 'Hardcore Face' looks more like you're about to soil yourself.

elephamoose
08-31-2010, 07:42 PM
For those of us who aren't up on our ADD medication, try and figure out what game is being played on the computer screen that's reflecting in the right side of the wall poster.

Ciderhelm
08-31-2010, 07:53 PM
Mass Effect 2.

Pers3us
08-31-2010, 09:43 PM
That is a very fun game, and it ALMOST distracted me while I was trying to figure out what game it was, but I figured it out within about 30 seconds.

On topic of the video... this was very good advice. I think it's very important to recruit your raid group (and then some) when everyone is a fresh 85. If you do it right, you'll have plenty of people to replace the bads or the people that quit, and hopefully be able to continue throughout the entire expansion with at least the same core group of people.

I will also be paying closer attention to the beta to figure out what I will sell for lots of gold...

Raien
08-31-2010, 10:04 PM
the huge N7 that gets planted on it is a little bit of a dead giveaway (that and I think Cider cheated by asking Lore =P). But yeah, that's Mass Effect 2 being played over there. He wouldn't let me type so I decided to play instead =P

Bodasafa
08-31-2010, 10:18 PM
The leveling gold you get was quite large in WotLK, I would expect it to be similar in Cata.

When I level I like to find every quest I can in a zone and complete them before moving to the next zone. Doing this allowed me to hit 80 with all of Fjord, all of Icecrown, and Half of Strom Peaks worth of quests that were all experience converted to gold.

I think I made 8,000g + by the time I completed all the quests in Northrend zones.

Xebu
09-01-2010, 02:19 AM
Hi Lore,

I'm not sure whether I misunderstood what you said, but I think you contradicted yourself? First you said not to bother with stocking up with raw materials, and then you mentioned what happened when TBC came out and your guild stocked up on runecloth to make a nice profit.

Do you guys forsee the prices for titanium, frostweave, icethorn, etc to rocket up when Cata comes out?

Damango
09-01-2010, 02:39 AM
hes not saying to stock up - just to be smart and watch out for things people or peoples alts will need to get ther professions to the next tier

clvsutil
09-01-2010, 09:07 AM
It was very nice. I was expecting something about the new ranking system for guilds.

Rakirne
09-01-2010, 03:03 PM
Through the course of yhe episode qnd spe itically the.leveling a very important and vital secondary profession is added. This profession is going to turn into a key raiding must have during this expansion. So level 85 cap may be rushed and people will still raid with minimal skill in this but I am sure as the expansion takes its firm hold we will see more and more guilds demanding these skills in order to raid.

I am sorry for any typos this is comming off my phone.

Samius
09-01-2010, 09:33 PM
Is this a new found fetish for the word SHPEEL?
(used it on the last 2 marmots)

Scottpoet
09-01-2010, 10:07 PM
Something not covered, but that I found real interesting when WOTLK came out was tanking. I was one of the first DK's to make it to lvl 80 as a tank.
Those who had a DK tank prior to Runeforge "stoneskin of the gargoyle" like I did, know what I am talking about. We got killed.... in blue gear after hitting lvl80....murdered. And it was because none of us could get Defense Capped. We were in the situation where we needed to do Heroics to get gear to get Def capped..... so we could actually do heroics. So it was tough.

But the flip side was, that once we had the gear unholy specced DK Tanks were gods. 15% avoidance from talents alone, then: boneshield, death and decay, Lichborn, Icebound Fortitude, frost prescence, and anti-magic shield were all very overpowered at the time.

The point being, some guilds/groups got the jump on others getting through completing raids simply by having a tank of the best tank class.
The same went for certain healer types.

Was it fair? No. Certain tank/dps/healer teams couldn't survive even Heroic 5-mans even with decent blue gear. While other teams were farming away. But after epics started flowing, people were able to respec into the trees they wanted to and play the content they wanted to with the people they wanted to.

But yeah, pay attention to what Tank is overpowered early on so you can put them in your group FTW. Same goes for healers.

Theadbare
09-02-2010, 10:31 AM
video this week goes too much off topic i must say, and doesn´t cover important things of the main idea: Preparing your Guild for the Expansion.

i also have wide xp on that (like Lore) and i think you can do more to "survive" as a guild, and not just "do not stress, some will go, but some will come too"; that is indeed true, but in order to reduce the number of leavers and increase the quality of arrivals you have to present people a serious project (a realistic one).

that project must be something agreed within the officers of your guild (or within your whole guild if not too big), can be whatever you want: pvp, casual 10, semi-hardcore 25, full hc... but you have to commit to it, and remind people what they committed for.

you have to be a bit flexible (lot of different personalities within a guild) handle with care those who level fast, and push and help those who level slow (but that is part of the expansion itself, we want to talk about preparations)

try to find and recruit in advance more than enough players for each class (several will indeed leave), if lucky, you will end up (all raiders at 85) with a close figure to the final numbers you want.

set rules (eg. afterma month and a half of release official raids will start, if you are not 85 by then, say bye to your raiding spot); do not give priority to those who took a break 2 months before expansion, the ones that are with you at the moment are your actual team mates (in most of the cases those returning end up leaving again, seen it plenty of times).

ther are many small details that i could add, but the main idea is already explained, apart from that, pray, expansions are always messy for guilds

Bung
09-04-2010, 12:04 AM
Lore. I love what you are doing, but please please get a haircut. You make my head sweat watching you. I will donate money to tankspot if you get a significant cut to your glorious mop.

Bung

Obstorm
09-04-2010, 02:51 AM
Awww no intro