PDA

View Full Version : Mage Arcane mage and aoe dps

Valandris
08-31-2010, 01:49 PM
I'm currently lvl 70, and even though I have talents that increase the dmg of my arcane explosion, however as I lvl'd I was in a habit of repeating Flamestrike followed by Blizzard.

Would Arcane explosion or FS->Blizz *repeat* be better for me?

Airowird
09-01-2010, 12:52 AM
Right now, at level 80 .... I don't really see many mages (even Arcane) use Arcane Explosion.
If you have the threat reduction talent, it's the best AoE damage / threat (if your tank can't AoE tank well), but for DPS you're about as good off just staying at range and using FlameStrike + Blizzard

Valandris
09-01-2010, 09:28 AM
k ty

Zxian
09-01-2010, 10:52 AM
The other thing to note is the fact that ranged players require 130% threat in order to pull a mob off the tank, while players in melee range only need 106%.

Save your tanks and healers the trouble and stay ranged with FS->Blizz. :)

sifuedition
09-01-2010, 02:09 PM
Melée are 110% threat to pull. As to the original question, I believe FSx1 -> Blizzardx2, repeat is the optimal. That is what I read when I started mine and have used since I trained the talents and seems to work well. With the dot feature of FS, I believe the dot expires during the second blizzard.

Xodiv
09-01-2010, 07:42 PM
Arcane explosion is behind Blizzard and Flamestrike in DPS. You should continue to use FS + Blizzard.

Flamestrike is so far ahead if the dot ticks out that at level 80 you should cast two ranks of FS as they do not overwrite. FS9 -> FS8 -> Blizzard -> repeat. Once the mobs get low enough they will not live 8 seconds longer drop FS and just Blizzard to finish them off.

Valandris
09-02-2010, 06:35 AM
wait so I can stack 2 FS?

Mmiz
09-02-2010, 06:59 AM
There is a condition for range channeld aoe that tanks do not consider to much or can't do anything about cause of encounter design: moving fs is vulnerable cause of the small area it effects and so is blizzard to a degree. If you encounter this as arcane I suggest explosion. How ever at the last tier lvl fbttw is better and lb solves the problem and does more dps.

Airowird
09-02-2010, 07:21 AM
Well I can only consider a single situation where you would need to move while trying to AoE though ... which is the tunnel in PoS with a Druid or DK tank.

Most other cases you can AoE pretty stationary, so FS + Blizz (and personally I'm against downranking FS for the 2 DoT part, especially if you're not Fire specced)

Xodiv
09-02-2010, 07:39 PM
wait so I can stack 2 FS?

Yes, if they are different ranks of the spell.

It's possible to stack 4 ranks (say at 80 FS9 -> FS8 -> FS7 -> FS6 -> repeat) with no haste, but if you down-rank by more than 1 you end up with less DPS than Blizzard.

Moving isn't a concern with AoE, it's just not something that comes up. One consideration though is the smaller effect circle of FS (10 yard diameter) than Blizzard (16 yard diameter). If mobs are not tightly grouped you can often be better off with just Blizzard because you can hit more targets.