PDA

View Full Version : Tanking Warrior tank in need of EHP and avoid advice

lodimas
08-31-2010, 05:59 AM
I tanked in BC a little and got into the hang of EHP and ive been tanking in WOTLK for a while now. I've read many articles on EHP but what i have never gotten from them is if i should still be stacking stam or not! :P As far as i can tell stam is still looking good but in our guild raids i am not having any problems with lack of health. is it viable to switch some gems around for avoidence to give the healers more room to keep the raid alive? Any other advice you see fit for my gear would be greatly appreciated.

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Draenor&cn=Healsponge

Strange trinket choice i know but i prefer the extra burst of threat and easier aggro regain in awkward situations over something like corpse tongue coin. Although i would probably take the HC version over this.

Thanks
Jack

Loganisis
08-31-2010, 06:13 AM
Avoidance gemming won't give you're healers much help because it will be too sporadic. Gearing armor, gemming stamina is still going to best serve you for those problem moments (2 healers ice blocked in P3 of Sindragosa, etc) and the healers don't have mana issues (if they do then either they're doing something wrong or DPS is doing something wrong as in the fight is lasting too long).

Are your healers having a hard time keeping the raid up? if you're looking to help them, reducing your incoming damage could also be served by:

Legs: Pillars of Might (1200 armor)
Helm: Tier for the 2pc bonus (4pc is Head, shoulders, chest, and hands for optimal armor/stamina)
Ring: Clutch of Fort with armor would reduce incoming damage, Onyx's 25 or H Valk Ring with Armor over Juggernaught (560-800 armor)
Trinket: UO or Glyph of Idom (1792 to 2300 armor)

With those changes you're looking at a minimum of 3500ish additional armor (and additional damage reduction from every physical attack) which will help make you easier to heal (less to heal up) which will allow healers to be more comfortable healing the raid.

Healers are proactively healing in ICC so it doesn't really matter if you avoid or not, they've already cast the spell whether you dodge or not and they're already casting the next spell. Reducing your incoming damage making it easier on them to keep you up will probably do as much to help them spend more on the raid than anything.

And why is raid healing an issue, is DPS bad at not moving out of fire? Standing too close to Sind and getting tail stopped?

Re: your crit enchanting - you're not really helping much, you've got 50 crit, which is something like an extra 1%? Meaning that on average, 1 out of every 100 hits will crit, which doesn't help you much.

I'm not sure you really need it.

lodimas
08-31-2010, 06:20 AM
Avoidance gemming won't give you're healers much help because it will be too sporadic. Gearing armor, gemming stamina is still going to best serve you for those problem moments (2 healers ice blocked in P3 of Sindragosa, etc) and the healers don't have mana issues (if they do then either they're doing something wrong or DPS is doing something wrong as in the fight is lasting too long).

Are your healers having a hard time keeping the raid up? if you're looking to help them, reducing your incoming damage could also be served by:

Legs: Pillars of Might (1200 armor)
Helm: Tier for the 2pc bonus (4pc is Head, shoulders, chest, and hands for optimal armor/stamina)
Ring: Clutch of Fort with armor would reduce incoming damage, Onyx's 25 or H Valk Ring with Armor over Juggernaught (560-800 armor)
Trinket: UO or Glyph of Idom (1792 to 2300 armor)

With those changes you're looking at a minimum of 3500ish additional armor (and additional damage reduction from every physical attack) which will help make you easier to heal (less to heal up) which will allow healers to be more comfortable healing the raid.

Healers are proactively healing in ICC so it doesn't really matter if you avoid or not, they've already cast the spell whether you dodge or not and they're already casting the next spell. Reducing your incoming damage making it easier on them to keep you up will probably do as much to help them spend more on the raid than anything.

And why is raid healing an issue, is DPS bad at not moving out of fire? Standing too close to Sind and getting tail stopped?

Re: your crit enchanting - you're not really helping much, you've got 50 crit, which is something like an extra 1%? Meaning that on average, 1 out of every 100 hits will crit, which doesn't help you much.

I'm not sure you really need it.

Hey thanks for the fast reply, some of your advice was what i had expected really. I think its more of a lack of dps that is causing troubles and not the healers themselves. I have the 2pc t10 currently activated and have all the pieces for the 4pc but was waiting on a mark to drop so the helm would be 264. Should i replace it with the 251 right now or wait for the mark? I thought about the legs and am currently working on those not far off now. interesting advice on the ring and trinket i will look into getting those asap. And the enchant, is there one you could recommend i only took that because im not really a fan of the tanking ones and i figured a little hit rating couldn't hurt the next one that coems to mind is mongoose really. Thanks for your previous advice and if you could just clear up the thing i mentioned in this post that would be awesome :)
Thanks again
Jack

EDIT: i have noticed that getting the 4pc t10 and pillars of might would require me to drop my currecnt chest, is that advisable?

Airowird
09-01-2010, 01:07 AM
1) You should get both chests, the tier piece for the bonus on magic fights, the armor one for physical fights. My Warrior runs with a 22 slot bag full of 'spare' tank gear I use on different fights (Besides the basic set I have: Block, Heroics, EHP, Hit & Magic Dmg)
2) If you're tanking progress, go EHP
3) If you need to know what numbers are best for you, try my spreadsheet(see sig), it should tell you how much stats are worth to you atm.
And before you ask: the TankPoints model is considered outdated by most and Burst Time is a model where healer mana and HPS actually matters (read: what we all hope to be back in Cata)

Edit:
4) For raids you can drop a point from Focused Rage and put it into Deep Wounds. You can even use the other 2 to get Imp. Disciplines
5) Glyphs of Blocking & Cleaving are not really raiding glyphs. Try using Devastate (best threat glyph there is) & possibly Shield Wall or Last Stand (SW + talent = 2min CD with 40% reduction, Last Stand you can leave out if you macro it with Enraged Regen)
6) Enchants: Try to get Tuskar's Vitality on boots, the extra speed will help out more than you think. Get a ranged crit scope (it works on Thunder Clap, Shockwave and Heroic Throw and you're not losing anything by it). As for weapon and shield goes: A lot of it is preference, but I personally go for Blood Draining > Accuracy and Titanium Plating over sta on shield (simply because of the amount of it). The ones you have are viable, but I'm just throwing out these last two as an other option you can look at. (A lot may depend on your raiding environment)