PDA

View Full Version : Tanking Elixirs and Flasks

Lurgren
08-30-2010, 04:47 PM
I'm hoping this is the right forum. I have also searched this forum and others for the answer and cannot seem to find it. So if someone could help or point me in the right direction.

But I am wondering if there is a discussion on flasks/elixirs. I am a prot warrior (Lurgren - Dentarg, no link per being on my phone) and I was going to start using elixirs instead of flask of stoneblood.

I have not done the math nor am I any WoW mathmetician I will leave that to the pros. But I was thinking of using either Guru's/Agility and Fortitude?(added health and life regen).

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Raiju
08-30-2010, 05:56 PM
Well I think there is not much debate because Flask of Stoneblood gives more EHP then any battle/guardian elixir combination. Stoneblood gives you 1300hp and the best you can do with elixirs is Elixir of Fortitude (350hp) and Guru's Elixir (20 stam, around 240hp, 311hp with the icc30%buff). Life regen I think is pointless for tanking.

boogi
08-30-2010, 08:52 PM
Using Guru's Elixir and Elixir of Protection (800 armor) is actually a minor EHP increase on physical fights but difference to Stoneblood is minor.

Timberton
08-30-2010, 10:16 PM
Using Guru's Elixir and Elixir of Protection (800 armor) is actually a minor EHP increase on physical fights but difference to Stoneblood is minor.

This, but do take into consideration there are several factors at play here

* Your gear level
* What you raid (i.e. ICC with 30% buff will favor armor elixir at above certain gear levels)
* Available buffs/raid composition

I'd suggest you plug your char into rawr http://rawr.codeplex.com/ and ask it to optimize the consumables

Airowird
08-31-2010, 02:06 AM
ICC buff does NOT change how stats affect you.
You should REALLY see the buff more as a "You take 23% less damage and deal 30% more damage" which is exactly the same effect, but with different numbers floating around.

Edit: Also, Guru's + Protection is generally slightly (<10%) better than the Flask for physical damage and adds a bit of threat as well, but is vastly inferior on magic damage fights such as LK, Sindy, even Putri. Therefor the Flask of Stoneblood is still your best choice.

Timberton
08-31-2010, 11:02 PM
ICC buff does NOT change how stats affect you.

true, but:
* boss's damage doesn't increase with the ICC buff
* and:
only after a certain amount of life bulb you are better served by looking into some avoidance, since you can now survive x amounts of hits from the boss without any danger. (i.e. can survive 3-4 seconds w/o any heals, from 100% life). A further increase in life bulb [stoneblood] may be overshadowed by increasing the armor you have [armor elixir]

However, if your gear level is not that high [or magic fights], you wave lower ability to withstand the boss's hits on you (i.e. can only stay alive for 2 secs w/o heals). In this case any increase in life bulb is welcome [stoneblood]

Airowird
09-01-2010, 01:56 AM
How sta & armor effect your EHP remains exactly the same in ICC, only the end value of your EHP will be 30 bigger (regardless of what stat you are using to get it up). When it comes to damage reduction, armor still reduces, stamina does not.

The ONLY thing the buff changes is how soon you would get to a drop-off point where damage reduction becomes better than EHP, but ...
1) There is no such drop-off point in gearing. Either you're doing progress (EHP) or you're doing farm content (gem spirit for all I care)
2) Due to current Armor stat values and the spikyness of damage as well as the DR on avoidance, you'll want to get Armor at that point anyway, which does increase your EHP. So what you're basicly saying is "after a certain amount of sta, stack armor" which is true in a pure EHP as well.
3) As both a tank and healer who's seen plenty of ICC, I'm tired of having to tell people there is no EHP drop-off point. If you're trying to progress, you're either gearing EHP or you're making it more difficult for your healers.

Passive
09-01-2010, 03:34 AM
only after a certain amount of life bulb you are better served by looking into some avoidance, since you can now survive x amounts of hits from the boss without any danger

Noooooooo :( not this!

Anyway on topic (ish), I remember reading a post where elixers were to be more important in Cata, to the point where if you really need to squeeze out that extra dps (or survivability or regen), elixers are superior to flasks, however flasks would be used on content that you already farm, or that is more about execution than having the stats.

Theotherone
09-01-2010, 06:43 AM
My pally tank is Elixir Master and for 5 mans and ICC trash to Marrowgar I use Guru's Elixir and Fortitude; for the rest of the raid I use Stoneblood. For a tank nothing is better then Stoneblood, IMHO. I also buff with either hit, strength or agility food; never the AP fish feast.