PDA

View Full Version : Tanking Warrior tank with Threat issues

ProtWarrCow
08-30-2010, 09:01 AM
Just curious as to what i can do to help with threat! I have a lot of trouble with threat levels when tanking mainly in HoR and and Hesitant on Tanking any raids because of this. (I usually offspec Fury). Should I swap some of my Stam gems for ATTK Power or something elso to help with holding aggro.

Also, I'm looking for a macro that will help me /assist. even if the party member is not attacking the mob that is attking them. I tried /assist /taunt but it only works if party member is attacking the mob

Thks in advance!

P.S. I would link profile but have been hacked too many times! :mad:(no offense to the decent people out there)

Dreadski
08-30-2010, 09:21 AM
You don't get hacked for linking your armory page. Get an authenticator and stop going to shady websites if you want to prevent it. Without an armory link you're not going to get help specific to what you need to fix on your character.

Gemming attack power is a bad idea, stick with stamina.

And now, read this: http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.php?60155-Agg-s-Prot-War-Tanking-Guide

MellvarTank
08-30-2010, 10:54 AM
Don't rely on macro's to take over for you not AoE threating enough. You should look at getting the Tidy Plates: Clean Plates (or Threat Plates) addon. This will tell you what is/isn't attacking you.

DPS have largely forgotten what the marks mean, so don't take it personally when you lose a mob. Just try to pull it back in a timely fashion. Also: If you mark kill targets and the DPS doesn't hit that target, well not much you can do about that.

One thing you may want to look at is your rotation. That will be the biggest threat boost you can get.

Airowird
08-30-2010, 12:31 PM
For your rotation, see sig.
It's totally legit (over 2000 downloads on this site spread across versions) and you don't need to link your armory for it :)
It will show you what your moves do for threat, so you can fiddle with what wouldbe an optimal 'rotation' for a single target. it more difficult for AoE, but Cleave & Thunderclap numbers should give you a good idea as well. Have fun with it :)

Bowen
08-31-2010, 01:12 AM
In places like HOR you have the perfect opportunity to practise your multi mob tanking at a somewhat challenging level, that being said if the dps are each nuking a mob before you can even get a TC off then it's not going to be pretty, make sure you are working on tabbing effectively and throwing out your highest threat moves when available. You also need to tell the group what do take down first and if they stray from this and pull agro, they die. If you have a hunter/ret/priest get a cc on that hunter mob or the caster if you want, don't be scared to lead the group.

Airowird
08-31-2010, 02:31 AM
For HoR, clever use of Heroic Throw, Taunt + Spell Reflect, Warbringer (Charge/Intercept) + Shield Bash are all important tools. Don't be a Pala and stand in the corner, you have the ability to move around faster, you should practise it.

As a Warrior I prefer Mercenary > Priest > Rifleman > Mage > Footman order. This is because I can't do anything with the Merc stunning me, but I can zoom around grabbing mages and riflemen while priests and footmen run around doing no damage on me. If the Priest wouldn't be a healer he'ld be at the bottom as well. I tend to Devastate those ranged mobs, so I can have my big hits such as Revenge and Shield Slam for the Priest/Merc. As a general rule of thumb for Vigilance, I take Hunters or casters, because melee will be chasing the mobs (sorry!)

Also note that I (personally) find HoR different from tanking raids, so you shouldn't compare them as much. Heroics, especially HoR are very bursty in nature due to the short mob HP pool and the "GOGOGOGOGOGO" nature of DPS. Raids will provide more challenge in situational awareness and overall threat rather than snap aggro and burst DPS.

ProtWarrCow
08-31-2010, 07:04 AM
Thanks for the feedback! Ill try out different rotations to see what helps!

Also, has anyone tried to do HoR from the hallway(near the door) instead of the corner approach? I'm thinking that in the hallway will give me more visual & time to pick up the MOBS as they spawn and charge to group.

Thanks!

sifuedition
08-31-2010, 11:13 AM
Yes, this is the only way to do HoR as a warrior imo. As soon as the mobs start to spawn, check the two closest to the hallway. Go stand next to the more dangerous one and shield slam as soon as it is targetable. Run toward the healer where the other mob will be heading. Thunderclap and cleave as the first mob will have followed you. Once you have a lead and before the other mobs do much damage to anyone else, shockwave and charge ranged. Shield bash for casters and disarm on riflemen and get back to the pack, who will be coming toward you too by this time. Congrats, you have them clustered and theat on all, most likely. If the shield bash did not bring the caster close enough, heroic throw should bring him those last few steps. Remember, after charging mobs, if you need to get back fast and charge/intercept are both on cd, intervene your healer or melée.

Dreadski
08-31-2010, 12:18 PM
Thanks for the feedback! Ill try out different rotations to see what helps!

Also, has anyone tried to do HoR from the hallway(near the door) instead of the corner approach? I'm thinking that in the hallway will give me more visual & time to pick up the MOBS as they spawn and charge to group.

Thanks!

Yeah, do it in the doorway. The mobs all head in that direction, so hit each approaching mob with a quick devastate until you have all of the melee range ones on you, then tclap and shockwave them. Taunt and H Throw the mage to get him closer and keep threat, a few seconds later cast reflect. Charge the hunter and disarm it, then intercept back to your group, more or less.

Airowird
09-01-2010, 01:39 AM
As I said before (and what the 2 other guys here missed) you can actually tank the mage with spell reflect as well. It gives you threat, you don't take damage and it's a good thing in case your Heroic Throw is on CD or you need to keep putting out threat on a Merc or Priest

Dreadski
09-02-2010, 09:44 PM
I didn't miss reflect...either way, if you use it once on a mage at the beginning of each pull, it will be up again for the next wave. Or even for the end of the current wave if you happen to need it again.

Airowird
09-04-2010, 06:38 AM
Basicly, Spell Reflect = win when dealing with casters.
Too bad Mages don't use Pyro-PoM-Pyro anymore in PvP, used to love trinket+reflect macro JUST at the right time :D