PDA

View Full Version : Tanking Pally Tank ICC build overview help

karson
08-22-2010, 07:22 PM
Hey guys since I have become a main tank for my raiding guild in ICC 10/25 I was wondering what I could do to my talent build / glyphs to help me improve. My threat seems to be pretty good as well.

I was wondering if there was any tweaks I could do to my gems/build/glyphs :D

I was told that I have a funny talent build. Well thanks guys!! I currently have a 5/57/9.

I appreciate anything you guys have to offer me!

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Kargath&cn=Karson

Lumines
08-23-2010, 01:48 AM
This is the cookie cutter spec (http://www.wowhead.com/talent#sZV0tAbuMusIufdxfMzbc:GpZm), with the final major glyph slot being Righteous Defense, Judgement or Hammer of the Righteous (not recommended; does nothing for you on bosses where it matters). If you want to read up on why your current build is sub-optimal, then go here (http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/forum/index.php?f=1&t=26864&rb_v=viewtopic). In brief, SotP builds are less threat than Crusade builds in ICC. Reckoning is an ok threat talent but its opportunity cost is high, particularly if those 5 points mean you're unable to take Crusade. Not taking Vindication or Judgements of the Just means you're taking more damage than you should be (there are semi-valid arguments for not taking Vindication, but JotJ is really mandatory). 2/3 Heart of the Crusader is pointless because a 3% crit debuff is brought by Ret Pallys, Mutilate Rogues, Elemental Shaman and probably another class I've forgotten. Change to the cookie cutter spec and you'll increase your threat output and your survivability.

Gemming: you shouldn't have parry gems, and you certainly shouldn't have a 20 hit gem. Say it with me: you do not need to be hit capped to generate good threat, especially if you're gemming to get there. Your gemming is inconsistent in terms of what stamina sacrifices you're making to hit socket bonuses. Read this guide (http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/forum/index.php?f=3&t=23475&rb_v=viewtopic) for insight into the most efficient ways to sacrifice avoidance gems for stamina gains. TL;DR I would gem 30 stamina in every slot except for agi/stam gems (not dodge/stam) in a red socket which nets a 9 or 12 stamina bonus. For you that would mean 30 stamina everywhere except for agi/stam gems in the red sockets in your helm and belt.

Enchanting: mostly fine, but I'd use the PvP enchant (10k honour, 30 stam/15 resilience) instead of the Sons of Hodir shoulder inscription and I'd change the cloak enchant to 225 armour.

karson
08-23-2010, 07:11 AM
Ok I will start off with the PVP shoulder enchant, And replacing my gems for all stamina gems minus the red sockets in my belt and helmet for the agi/stam gems. And finally enchanting my cloak to the 225 armor one.

Then I will switch my spec to the cookie cutter 0/53/18. How about my glyphs, keep them the same? I am going to replace my Minor glyph of the wise for the Minor glyph of sense undead.

I will be checking back here and updating what I have changed. Thanks for the good reply Lumines :)

Lumines
08-23-2010, 07:50 AM
The armoury is telling me "Character not found", which is odd because it was definitely working earlier. What are your current glyphs? Divine Plea and Seal of Vengeance are mandatory, the former because it's 3% damage reduction which is active 100% of the time, and the latter because 10 expertise from a major glyph slot is obscene and it's easily our best threat glyph. The third major glyph should be Righteous Defense if you're worried about taunt misses (this can be swapped in for taunt sensitive fights), Judgement (second best single target threat glyph) or Hammer of the Righteous for trash/heroics, although it does nothing for you on single target fights (where optimising your setup arguably matters the most). I personally use SoV/Divine Plea/Righteous Defense, but if I was less lazy I'd be swapping Judgement and Righteous Defense around as needed.

Minor Glyph of Sense Undead is, as you've recognised, excellent for ICC. It's free damage with no downside. The other minors are pretty poor so whatever you fancy, really - Glyph of Lay on Hands is the only other one with any kind of PvE utility, and even that's been lessened since LoH was made to cause Forbearance if cast on yourself. The third minor slot is pretty much a waste no matter what you choose; I find the buffing ones relatively pointless since it takes all of 4 seconds to drink back to full mana while buffing. I have Glyph of the Wise as the third minor purely because if you end up in some terrible situtation where you have to cast Seal of Wisdom in an emergency to regain some mana - a situation I haven't found myself in since doing progression on Thorim and going oom in the arena due to various mistakes on my end - you want that "need mana now!" button to cost as little mana to activate as possible. But that's a flimsy justification at best; it's basically just there for the sake of it.

karson
08-23-2010, 08:09 AM
There I have changed my talent build, changed my shoulder enchant and cloak enchant. I switched out every dodge/stam gems for agi/stam gems, all blue sockets have +30 stam gems, took out the hit gem and replaced with def/stam gem.

I read your last post logged out and logged back in WOW to update it. If that doesnt work try http://wow-heroes.com/ server kargath character name Karson click live and search.