PDA

View Full Version : I ate greek food for the first time.

Valandris
08-21-2010, 07:21 AM
I had humus and lamb for the first time in my life.

KuroiMitsukai
08-21-2010, 10:20 AM
Humus I'm not a bit fan of but lamb is the shit! Used to stop by the greek place all the time on the way to work.

Fledern
08-21-2010, 02:04 PM
FYI, Hummus is actually a Middle Eastern food and the word comes from the Arabic word for chickpeas. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hummus has more information :)

Through Ottoman Empire's influence in the region, a ton of food of Arabic, Persian, Greek & Turkish origin have travelled back & forth with each nationality claiming it to be their own. Hummus is actually interesting in that it has a legal battle over ownership attached to it.

If you're interested in the tastes, i'd advise some study into all 4 cuisines as they all boast great variety & delicious food with each of them having enough recipes to make the French cuisine look like a child's cookbook.

Rennadrel
08-21-2010, 04:46 PM
There is a cheese thing that the Greeks do that is flipping awesome, it comes it like a searing hot oily pan and you cut it up and put it on some toasted bread. If I recall correctly, they douse it with some lemon which gives it a bit of a tangy flavor but it's really good. I love me a good gyro that's for sure.

Valandris
08-21-2010, 04:56 PM
Yeah I had an appetizer of pita bread with humus and I ate a lamb and beef gyro. It was great.

KuroiMitsukai
08-22-2010, 06:26 AM
FYI, Hummus is actually a Middle Eastern food and the word comes from the Arabic word for chickpeas. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hummus has more information :)

Through Ottoman Empire's influence in the region, a ton of food of Arabic, Persian, Greek & Turkish origin have travelled back & forth with each nationality claiming it to be their own. Hummus is actually interesting in that it has a legal battle over ownership attached to it.

If you're interested in the tastes, i'd advise some study into all 4 cuisines as they all boast great variety & delicious food with each of them having enough recipes to make the French cuisine look like a child's cookbook.

So I would like you to know the hummus police are here and willing to kick your ass in humus discussion. Seriously did you study hummus for college or something. You know way to much about this stuff.

Fetzie
08-22-2010, 06:38 PM
When I go to the greek I have the Tarama Salata with pita bread starter and the skewered grilled lamb kebab with tzaziki and chips and a nice glass or so of red wine. Plus they ply you with ouzo here in germany, so you end up drinking 5 of them over the course of the evening too. 1 appetizer type shot, a beer, a couple of glasses of wine and "some" ouzo to wash it all down with. then you go to the ice-cream place down the road afterwards and get a couple of scoops of icecream. perfect evening.