PDA

View Full Version : Priest Seem to be Lagging in heals

jvitelli3
08-20-2010, 07:56 AM
I've been playing this toon for a few months and it's my first healer. She is purely a raid healer and that is about all I do with her. However, it seems that I am always low on the heals when I look at recount. Any suggestions on gems, or what stats I should be going for would really help. http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Duskwood&cn=Mayda

It just seems to me I should be getting much better through put. I mostly use Flash heal, POM and COH. I will throw in others as the need arises but these are my staples.

Thanks for any suggestions and help.

Bashal
08-20-2010, 11:40 AM
It would be helpful to know what other healers are in your team.

If there are other raid healers, have you checked your overheal? It's possible you're getting sniped (someone else gets a heal off before you, then your heal lands and its all overheal).

It's also possible that there are too many healers in your raid. If they switch one or two of them to DPS, you might see your healing go up. ;)

Pöny
08-20-2010, 11:58 AM
You like to gem for the socket bonus just like I do on my priest. :)

I would have to agree on Bashal comment about getting sniped. If you are in fact getting sniped alot then I would have to agree on the Next comment Bashal stated about the "too many healers"

I did take a look at your geming though. If you are not having any issues with running out of mana prematurely during a longer fight I would suggest switching your yellow gems for Reckless Amertine +12 SP / +10 Haste. This way you still get the socket bonus.

Asa general rule on my Priest I gem like this: (Holy specced)

Blue= Purified Dreadstone
Yellow= Reckless Amertine
Red= Runed Cardinal Ruby

Hope this helps.

jvitelli3
08-20-2010, 12:41 PM
Most of the healers are also Holy Priests. We have a few druids but usually on a 25 man there are 4 priests and 2 druids with an occaisional pally. The GM is also a Holy Priest. Her GS is higher than mine but not that much only about 50 points. Other than that, I'm usually among the highest GS. Drives me crazy. Recount shows that she will put out almost twice the spells as I do over the course of the raid and I will say that I am mostly the highest in the overheal category. So sniping may just be the answer.

I've been obsessing over this and reading everything I can. I've tried upping my Crit, then upping my haste. Now I'm just to the point of confusion. I do try to gem for the socket bonus. Ive completely re-gemmed twice now. Good thing I have a JC, Alchemist and Enchanter so at least its only the cost of mats. If the spec and gems are not the problem that leaves play.

Harmacy
08-20-2010, 12:42 PM
Some possible issues:

- Renew is typically your primary "filler heal" rather than Flash Heal, because of all the periodic damage inside of ICC. There are some situations where you would want to use Flash Heal to stack up Serendipity, but they are not as common as the situations where you are spamming Renew in between CoH and ProM cd's.

- Speaking of CoH, you don't have the Holy Reach talent so your CoH's are likely not hitting the full amount of targets. You also glyph Flash Heal over CoH, so one of your most potent AoE heals is hitting 5 targets instead of 6.

- Blessed Resilience is typically better than Empowered Healing, because of the reliance on Renew and your AoE heals.

- Don't waste gem slots on crit rating, it's not very strong for Holy.

Modifying your talent spec a bit to get rid of some inferior talents, leaves us with something like this: http://www.wowhead.com/talent#bVcbuZsxtcb0qihhfuAo:N0d

Change it around as you want to, there are a lot of variable points in the Holy tree. But I think this is superior to what you're using.

Grannos
08-20-2010, 01:02 PM
The suggestions that Harmacy has given should help you improve. There are other factors that can contribute to your overheals. You said your GM is throwing out almost twice the spells you are and you are getting more overheals. It would seem that her reaction time is faster, and your throwing heals on those that she as already healed, so now you get overheals. Just a thought. Another thing that will keep you from going crazy is to not think that because your GS is XXXX higher than someone else, or equal with them, that all of a sudden you should be doing as good or better on heals. You really should not look at it like that. It's about the right heals at the right time. Reaction time (and you latency) might be some of your problem.

I have faith you will get it worked out though. You have come to the right spot for advice for sure.

Pöny
08-20-2010, 01:47 PM
Modifying your talent spec a bit to get rid of some inferior talents, leaves us with something like this: http://www.wowhead.com/talent#bVcbuZsxtcb0qihhfuAo:N0d

Change it around as you want to, there are a lot of variable points in the Holy tree. But I think this is superior to what you're using.

This is a great build. However, depedning on how often you are using Greater Heal. I think Spell Warding > Divine Fury. Do not get me wrong there are times where I will use Greater Heal, but only in predictable situation where I know the Tank may be needing extra healing at a certain time.

Just play around with your build and find something that fits your play style :) Please do not get discouraged, I am sure your an out standing player, if you were not you would not be asking for advice from the BEST forums!!!

Renew is BOSS! hehe Some great advice Harmacy!

Grannos is correct about the whole GS thing. I have seen a Holy Priest 5300 GS out heal a 5900 Holy Priest. But of course when looking at the over healing the 5900 GS Priest was top dog :P Reaction/Latency do play key roles in your HPS.

I am sure you have read it but in case you have not.

Aliena has provided Holy Priests a great Guide! Thanks Aliena this did help me ALOT when I was building my Priest. :)

http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.php?56757-WotLK-Holy-Priest-Guide

jvitelli3
08-20-2010, 01:56 PM
Some very interesting thoughts on the spec. Taking Holy Reach over improved healing and also blessed resistance. This makes incredible sense now that I think about it. So I'm definatley in for another re-spec. Thanks for the perspective.

As for gems, I did re-gem trying to get my crit higher. I did notice that I had more crits, or maybe it was just my imagination since I was looking for it. I'll look at those and re-do maybe for spirit or haste or intel. Gemming means I break out he spreadsheet again and re-do all the numbers LOL.

I do know that the GM has an insanely low latency and frame rate. I usually get 40-50 FPS during the raid and she's up around 60. My latency is also higher than hers. I'm going to work on what you've recommended so far and see what that does. Thanks to you all.

Epira
08-20-2010, 02:13 PM
You should be trying to get 3500 spellpower before you try to get any more stats, in my opinion. Your crit is good, but you can sacrifice the crit gems for spellpower, which would get you more throughput. I suggest staying away from green gems. an occasional green is fine, but you're at the point where you don't need stats as much as you need pure spellpower.

Change the 12sp + 10 crit and 12sp + 10int to 12sp+ 10 haste.
Change the +10 all stats on your buckle to 23 Spellpower
Change all your blue gems to 12sp + 10spirit

Use renew more often, you're specced into it. Get holy reach. please. It'll help out your CoH and if that's one of your main priority spells, get that talent.

Fledern
08-20-2010, 03:37 PM
One of my alts was also a holy priest (recently switched to disc). I also was always ending up at the bottom with horrible effective healing. Part of it was speed. I had low haste and REALLY low reaction times. While my haste improved and my reaction times got better, i never reached the levels that good holy priests were putting out.

My salvation came in the form of Empowered renew. That's an extremely powerful way to dish out effective healing. The initial heal lands for significant amounts and the HoT component keeps healing that target while you're busy with something else. I also kept PoM on the tank even though i was never on tank duty - it kept bouncing around all the time, adding good, intelligent healing. I also threw out 3xFH to proc serendipity and used ProH as much as i could. CoH on melee & ProH on caster groups on widescale aoe damage (with prior renews already ticking) got me to better positions.

jvitelli3
08-21-2010, 01:16 PM
Just want to thank everyone. Some great advice and I'm going to start working on the suggestions.

Timberton
08-23-2010, 04:25 AM
Recount shows that she will put out almost twice the spells as I do over the course of the raid and I will say that I am mostly the highest in the overheal category. So sniping may just be the answer.

maybe the problem is elsewhere

My 25 man team has 2 new healer recruits that did consistently half the HPS of other healers.
It turned out it was a matter of healing addons:
* both recruits had grid

awesome, you'd think. But, what they were doing was to:

1. clik on the player on grid
2. thus acquire the target to be healed (from grid)
3. use one of their key-binded spells to heal their current target (I was at least happy it was a keybind and not a "clik to cast" thingy)
4. rinse, repeat for the rest of the raid.

Are you doing the same ?

if so....erm... http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addons/details/vuhdo.aspx

leethaxor
08-23-2010, 07:01 AM
A way to speed things up with grid i find is to use mouse over macros

/cast [@mouseover] renew

DISCLAIMER:
I have no issue healing with grid and mouse over macro's, some people do and ultimately your healing setup is your choice.

Timberton
08-23-2010, 12:10 PM
mouse over macros

phhh...if yer really into Grid, then you must look up "Clique"

jvitelli3
08-23-2010, 12:14 PM
I have tried Grid. I agree it's got some awesome points to using it, but I'm using Healbot. Actually I have very few heals bound to keys. Got COH so I can hit it on the fly and usually do if I'm running out of some sort of pile of goo or something. But at least for now, I'm addicted to Healbot. I do realize that it is somewhat slow to respond but all the healers in the guild use it. I've recently looked at the refresh on it and made some adjustments there so that may also help. There is a bar for refresh multiplier that is somewhat ambiguous in what it says and does. Think I've tweaked that some and run some randoms to test. Made some changes and did the weekly yesterday (Noth) Did it in 25 man and I topped the heals. Recount had me at 43% of the healing. Of course this was a pug, but nobody died and we never wiped. Doing RS 25 tonight. Guess that will be the real test.

Griff
08-23-2010, 12:26 PM
Most healers I know who use Grid also use another addon called Clique.

Also, you'd be surprised at how much of a factor not using keybinds can be. If you're clicking, you need to spend time moving your mouse from interacting with your target to the button. In a raid environment, that user-induced lag can prove fatal.

jvitelli3
08-25-2010, 09:51 PM
Ok. So ran ICC 25 man tonight our normal raid. Instead of being just ahead of the Pally Tank in heals, I was number 2 behind a Druid. You guys worked the miracle I was hoping for. All it took was a re-spec, a new glyph, a few gem changes and my heals are three times what they were. Even after the raid the GM noted the difference. She couldn't beleive the change in numbers. I owe this to you folks. Thanks.