PDA

View Full Version : Tanking Prot Warrior looking for a check up.

Drizzt74
08-16-2010, 05:12 PM
Hey guys, its been awhile just looking for some advice on what to do next.

I'm in a guild that doesn't raid very often so gear is getting harder to come by. And I have very limited experience, raiding.

Getting Frost is a painfully slow process for me @ two per day.

I know I need to get black heart to replace my blue trinket. Other than that I'm wondering where to go next gear wise. I'd love the Pillars of Might, but my funds never allow it.

I need to drop some defensive rating. Am I gemming/enchanting ok?

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Spirestone&cn=Drizztguen

Metasynaptic
08-16-2010, 05:54 PM
You never need to 'lose' defense rating, just sometimes there are more appealing stats. In your case, I wouldn't worry about it.

Get the neck from halls of reflection heroic.
Get the crafted breastplate of the white knight.
Gett the mark of the relentless ring from toc5 heroic.

Change your shield enchant to +18 stamina. It's a BC enchant.
The gloves enchant is 'ok' at your gear level... but there are a few others like leatherworking armour and stamina upgrades you might want to consider.

Drizzt74
08-16-2010, 06:12 PM
BC enchant?

Metasynaptic
08-16-2010, 06:17 PM
burning crusade. it's an older one, but still viable.

leethaxor
08-16-2010, 06:18 PM
Burning Crusade enchant

Metasynaptic
08-16-2010, 06:23 PM
If you do those things, you should be doing toc10/25 imo, and can probably think about doing 4/12 ICC.

Read up on the bosses and offer yourself as an off tank.

Harmacy
08-16-2010, 07:10 PM
Zero points in Anticipation? It's a crucial talent, you absolutely absolutely need 5/5 in there. 5% dodge for a mere 5 talent points is fantastic.

Take the two points from Imp Bloodrage (worthless talent for a tank) and then 3 from either Focused Rage or Shield Spec.

I recommend taking them from Shield Spec - 5/5 SS is slightly better for AoE tanking, but 3/3 FR and 2/5 SS helps more for single-target threat. And you won't really be missing the 3% block, it's a very weak form of mitigation.

Drizzt74
08-17-2010, 05:03 AM
Thanks, this is my first toon and to be honest I haven't looked at my build.

I will change it later today. Have I made any other glaring errors?

Stoutale
08-17-2010, 07:46 AM
Also try to get on VOA 10/25 that will help with extra frosties.

Try to work into weeklys, extra frosties.

Drizzt74
08-17-2010, 10:46 AM
Am I geared enough for VOA? I ran it once with my guild and we had a tough go of it. It was a group we just kinda threw together. So I wasn't sure if it was my fault for being under geared or just a bad group.

Glorc
08-17-2010, 11:19 AM
Rhinolicious Wyrmsteak to bring your expertise up when you do raid.
Breastplate of the white knight
Pillars of might
The 264 boots name escappes me atm.
Granted these are $$$$$$$ but they are upgrades you can get outside of raiding.

Finish up leveling leather working to gain access to the woltk bracer chants. I bet if you ask around in guild some ppl have old mats stashed away they could donate to help you out.

As Harmancy pointed out

Zero points in Anticipation? It's a crucial talent, you absolutely absolutely need 5/5 in there. 5% dodge for a mere 5 talent points is fantastic.

You are geared enough for Voa, u may have some friction jumping in pick up groups as they all expect tanks to have 45k unbuffed.
Toc 10/25 Icc lower spire/ first 4 bosses
Toc 25 has worlds of upgrades for you, and with a good group take less than an hour.
Even doing just the first couple bosses in ICC , and really pushing to get the weekly done will vastly increase your frost badge income.

Drizzt74
08-17-2010, 03:45 PM
Thanks for all the advice.

As far as getting all that crafted gear, I'd love to but your talking like 15k plus on my server. Which I still can't wrap my head around how people get that much gold. I struggled to get my epic flying.

Drizzt74
08-21-2010, 12:13 PM
And how do I look now?

Drizzt74
08-23-2010, 06:55 PM
I made all the changes and added all the gear except for blackheart. I ran it like 15 times in a row and now luck.

Now when I tank heroics I feel like I am rage starved. Is that from the gear or the change in my spec?

Griff
08-24-2010, 09:51 AM
If you're not really doing a lot of raiding and money is tight, I might skip spending cash on currently expensive crafted items. The gear in Cata, by all accounts, will make even current top end gear obsolete within a level or two. If your guild is pushing content and you need to minimax, that's one thing, but if you're just knocking around with pugs/heroics, do some cost/benefit analysis.

As for being rage starved, move the points in Improved Disciplines to Shield Spec, that will help with some rage and if you're still having problems, throw a piece of dps gear or two on (make sure you've still got 535 defense). I also keep a stack of rage pots in my bag in case I need a quick bit of rage and my bloodrage is on CD.

One upgrade that would be big for you and wouldn't cost anything but time would be the rep ring from the Ashen Verdict. Ashen Band of Courage (http://www.wowhead.com/item=50375) You get one at friendly and it upgrades at every subsequent level of rep. You don't even need to kill bosses in ICC to get it, most servers have people doing rep runs on the trash before marrowgar that you can probably get into without too much of a hassle. Plus, there's a few boe epics such as the tanking gun that can drop there too.

Drizzt74
08-24-2010, 11:11 AM
Here is where I show what a noob I am. Where do I go to find the vender and is it possible to go there solo?

BTW thanks for the help.

Harmacy
08-24-2010, 12:06 PM
The Ashen Verdict ring dude is inside the entrance to ICC.

Griff
08-24-2010, 12:10 PM
No, you'll need to find a raid group to get into the instance. Keep an eye on tradechat for people doing ICC rep runs. If I recall correctly, you'll need to get your Ashen Verdict rep up to Friendly before you qualify for the first ring, but that's not very much. The vendor who gives out the rings is just inside the first room of the instance, over on the right side. When you have enough rep, you'll see a quest pop up over there and that's the geek you want to talk to.

Ion
08-24-2010, 12:24 PM
As for being rage starved, move the points in Improved Disciplines to Shield Spec, that will help with some rage and if you're still having problems, throw a piece of dps gear or two on (make sure you've still got 535 defense).

Pff...I have like 39k hp and 490 defense in my "heroic tanking" gear. I never feel in any particular danger and I largely out-dps the "dps" I get in randoms.

Griff
08-24-2010, 01:40 PM
Pff...I have like 39k hp and 490 defense in my "heroic tanking" gear.

Groovy. Personally, I like being crit immune. I've run a lot of heroic randoms over the last year and there's been plenty of times when an undergeared/inexperienced healer has struggled when the whole group is taking damage and left me at half-health - a bad time to eat a crit. I mean, I'm a tank after all, not a dps warrior. Furthermore, my advice was to the poster, who isn't wearing a full set of ICC dps gear. Just because you, an experienced tank, are capable of such feats, doesn't mean it's a good idea for everyone.

Ion
08-24-2010, 01:52 PM
My point was that being crit immune for heroics is overrated. This isn't TBC. The damage incoming from mobs in WotLK heroics isn't particularly impressive, and if you're wearing at least a shield and a couple pieces of tanking gear (to get a decent amount of hp, armor and avoidance) of 232+ quality it's fine to throw on similar-level dps gear. There's no particular danger. You still have shield wall/last stand/LoH/whatever else you class can do...the OP has fine gear. He could easily replace some of his lower level gear (weapon (I'd definitely only go for higher level stuff here), ring, trinket(s), gloves, chest...probably even more) with equivalent-or-higher-level DPS items in heroics.

I notice the OP got his pillars (grats) and dropped below 540 in his tanking gear, though. Might want to consider a defense/stam gem in the helm (since you'd only lose 3 stam and gain crit immunity+some avoidance).

Drizzt74
08-25-2010, 05:26 AM
I have the pvp enchant on my shoulders, so with the 15 resilence isn't 536 defense rating still crit immune? I swapped out the chant on my shield to stay at 536.

Griff
08-25-2010, 10:09 AM
Yes, 536 is good with the resil. Ion just didn't notice the shoulder 'chant. You only need 535 defense in heroics anyways.

Drizzt74
08-25-2010, 10:26 AM
If you look at my tanking experience it is basically up to heroics and that is it. I have only been in nax and voa once each, and in both of those cases it was limited.

I think I need to just jump into the deep end and see what happens. Its just hard to break into raiding if you are a first time tank. And that's like the first question pugs ask is have you done X before. And that usually ends the conversation.

I know what the defense rating is for heroics. Is there a higher requirement elswhere?

Griff
08-25-2010, 11:43 AM
Yeah, experience is a good quality for tanks, but everyone has to start somewhere. Just keep networking, trying to get into pug and don't get discouraged.

Bosses in heroic dungeons are equated to level 82, so you need 535 defense (less with your shoulder enchant) to push crits off the table. For raid bosses, you need more. They are lvl 83, so that pushes the defense minimum up to 540, however with your shoulder enchant, you're covered at 536.

Harmacy
08-25-2010, 07:16 PM
My advice is just to be up-front, say "I've never been here, but I've watched the videos on Tankspot and understand my class" and see how they react. If they want to be GS-tards or say "no achiev no inv", that's fine. But I think you'd be surprised how many people are willing to give you a shot if you come off as intelligent and capable.

Drizzt74
08-26-2010, 05:15 AM
I will give it a try and see what happens. I know I keep extending this thread, but it is helping me a lot.

Is there an add on that help you see when you have debuffs being stacked on you by a boss? The tiny little icons that are on the conventional UI are tough to see. And they blend in with all the other ones. This is one issue I seem to have when tanking with someone else. I'm having a tough time knowing when to taunt off the other tank when they don't have vent.

Thanks again for all the advice.

Aggathon
08-26-2010, 06:18 AM
Elkhano's Buff Bars or Satrina's Buff Bars should do the trick for that.

Griff
08-26-2010, 12:38 PM
I like Satrina's better. Its good because it also lets you put your survival cooldowns front and center so you know what's going on. Elkhano's does this too, I just found Satrina's to be a better method of display.