PDA

View Full Version : Tanking Tanking as a Death Knight need advice

Angadan
08-16-2010, 08:49 AM
Okay I am only level 64 but will probably be triing to start tanking some soon soooo.... I was wondering: :confused:

1. What is the best spec for DK tanking
2. Rotation/how
3. Main stats for tanking
4. Gyphs
5. What professions? i have mining but still have one more to chose
6. Is there a guide or website dedicated just to DK tanking

Thanks

Warboxer
08-16-2010, 12:38 PM
1. I prefer Blood spec, but I hear Duel-Wield (DW) frost is good for threat.

This is a decent starter tank build @80: http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-talents.xml?r=Aerie+Peak&cn=Keeki&group=2, though some people prefer Bloodworms but it's gives you a basic platform to work with.

2. Put up your disease(s), lay down DnD, spread with pestillance, Blood Boil, repeat .... get ready with Dark Command & Death Grip to grab any strays.
3. Stam, Stam and more Stam ... get defence capped when your 80 (requires 535 for HC's and 540 for raids iirc), Expertise should be 26 I think (correct me if I'm wrong) and hit @ 8%.
4. Can't remember, get pestillance glyph, DnD glyph and Icy Touch glyphs perhaps?
5. I recommend JC for the awesome JC-only gems
6. This guide would surely help ...

http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.php?59900-Comprehensive-Guide-to-Death-Knight-Tanking&highlight=death+knight+guide

I'm sure someone in the know can help you more than me though :)

Phanuel
08-16-2010, 12:59 PM
Frost is decent for entry into 5 man heroics due to the snap aggro of Howling Blast. I honestly only started tanking once I had a decent ilvl 219 average tank set together and went straight into Blood.

1. Endgame? Blood Tanking Heroics? Blood or Frost
2. More than one mob? For Blood; DnD -> IT-PS-> Pest -> Heartstrike/Bloodboil depending on quantity of adds/quality of dps. If they're good at focusing, Heart -> Deathstrike into a single mob, otherwise if they're AoEing, bloodboil. I don't know frost.
3. 540 Def as mentioned before and then Sta gems besides the one Dodge/Sta you need to activate your meta. Don't gem for hit/expertise/parry/dodge outside of meeting a meta requirement.
4. For Blood, I use DnD (initial aggro burst for Blood's admitedly weak AoE aggro), Runestrike, and Deathstrike, with Command being swapped in for Death if I'm in a heavy taunt related fight.
5. JC/X pretty much. I'm a miner as well so I don't hate my 60 sta or w/e bonus (I hope they let me pick a stat in Cata though.)
6. Pwnwear.com They're DK primarily oriented.