PDA

View Full Version : Tanking Prot Warrior Low on threat

Apolyon101
08-13-2010, 09:25 AM
Hey guys,

Currently im low on threat im pushing 6-10k tps on ICC it fluctuates so dang much and gets so irritating, and after talking with another prot warrior he says with my gear i should be close to 16k tps basically what i do is priority system

Shield Slam, Devastate, heroic strike, If revenge procced then revenge if not thunderclap heroic strike, Shield slam, heroic strike, devastate, heroic strike if nothing else is off CD conc blow or Shock wave, If everything is on CD then i just spam devastate/heroic strike..

here is my armory
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Terenas&cn=Apolyon

i know im low on hit and expertise but should that really effect my threat that much?

Loganisis
08-13-2010, 09:48 AM
One thing that might help is add a second devastate button, this one with HS macro'd so as you spam it, you keep HS queued. Then when rage is an issue you still have the normal Dev available.

I don't remember the specifics, but if I recall from previous threads, I think SW, Rev, and Con Blow all have a higher priority for threat than Dev, even glyphed for threat, though I'm not sure it's a big difference.

You have the threat build and glyphed devastate and a pretty good threat stick...

Are you mashing Dev except when you see SS/Rev/SW/Conc Blow about to come off CD? Or pressing after the fact? That might be part of it if you're waiting until it's ready to go?

If you're really concerned about threat, the Heroic 1H Axe from Lootship is a big threat increase. http://www.wowhead.com/item=50654 It's a minor stamina loss, 14, and you lose some avoid/def but you should still remain uncritable.

How do you activate your meta? All I see are +30 sta gems everywhere. Putting a +15 Exp/Sta in your helm would help a little plus activate your meta?

Apolyon101
08-13-2010, 10:19 AM
I am smashing Dev when everything is on CD.. and about to come off, im working on timing now.. like hitting Dev just before so when the GCD is up then the normal CD of the other abilities would be down as well if that makes sense.. I put the 15exp/sta in my helm to get the meta..

Thanks for the tip on HS/Dev macro i may have to do that..

Griff
08-13-2010, 10:31 AM
It would help if you had some parses to post. What is your raid makeup like? With the way threat is baked into other classes abilities now, you need to look at more than just your own rotation now.

Also, consistent 16k tps is a pretty high bar to shoot for.

Apolyon101
08-13-2010, 11:10 AM
http://worldoflogs.com/guilds/43177/ anything before 8/12/2010 you can find me. but i changed guilds yesterday so the raid make up is a bit different ill get some parses and post em.

The Hoof
08-13-2010, 12:20 PM
I am smashing Dev when everything is on CD.. and about to come off, im working on timing now.. like hitting Dev just before so when the GCD is up then the normal CD of the other abilities would be down as well if that makes sense.. I put the 15exp/sta in my helm to get the meta..

Thanks for the tip on HS/Dev macro i may have to do that..

I have 2 macro's setup. One that is Dev/HS and one that is Dev/Cleave. I'll switch between them based on the fights. Honestly in ICC, I never have rage issues, so I just pound them all the time unless SS or Rev is up.

My typical rotation is charge in, Dev/HS or Cleave to start auto attack, position the mobs, shockwave, thunderclap, SS, Rev, Dev, etc.

Reset thunderclap when the debuff is off and add in Demo shout if there isn't a Ret Paly with vindication around.

I typically float around 10-12k threat consistently and spike a bit higher than that. I typically don't any any issues with folks pulling off me, with the occasionally exception of one of our hotter dpsers getting a string of crits where I have to taunt a mob or two off them. But once I get them taunted I don't loose it again.

damnpatch
08-13-2010, 12:44 PM
I disagree with macro'ing abilities to other abilities - what you might try is binding Heroic Strike and Cleave to your mousewheel scroll. It's pretty easy to just spin the wheel as you go about your business, or not spin if the situation calls for that.

Also - haven't had a chance to look too much into your parses, but a quick glance shows Vigilance uptime to be pretty low. You might even carry around a stack each of Taunt and Vigilance glyphs, defaulting to Vig but swapping in taunt when necessary.

Don't hit TClap on cooldown, unless you're tanking packs. I'm assuming your issues are single target? Keep the debuff up, same with Demo Shout, but hitting them on cooldown will hurt your threat.

http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.php?60155-aggs-prot-war-tanking-guide is pretty awesome.

Loganisis
08-13-2010, 01:13 PM
Or just have a clean and dirty Dev button and keep the scroll button for zooming in and out since WoW does a terrible job of camera work and I try to stay zoomed out as much as possible which means if I'm in corners I'm often playing a lot with zoom...

Replacing a naked Dev button completely with one that has HS macro'd is a bad idea. But have 2 (or three if you macro cleave, though in my setup I don't use Dev for trash AoE and never had a problem) options works just fine.

Apolyon101
08-13-2010, 02:13 PM
I disagree with macro'ing abilities to other abilities - what you might try is binding Heroic Strike and Cleave to your mousewheel scroll. It's pretty easy to just spin the wheel as you go about your business, or not spin if the situation calls for that.

Also - haven't had a chance to look too much into your parses, but a quick glance shows Vigilance uptime to be pretty low. You might even carry around a stack each of Taunt and Vigilance glyphs, defaulting to Vig but swapping in taunt when necessary.

Don't hit TClap on cooldown, unless you're tanking packs. I'm assuming your issues are single target? Keep the debuff up, same with Demo Shout, but hitting them on cooldown will hurt your threat.

http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.php?60155-aggs-prot-war-tanking-guide is pretty awesome.

Thanks for the advice, i do use TC on CD and should probably stop.. Thanks for the link as well ive been trying to track one down to find it.

Thanks everyone else as well hopefully i can use a little bit of each and work it into my play style.

Griff
08-13-2010, 03:23 PM
I don't see anything glaring in your rotation although I don't think conc. blow is as hot as it used to be.

One thing I did note was that your hunters only used 10 misdirects each and your rogue only TotT'd you 12 times in 9 pulls (The 8/08 report)

damnpatch
08-15-2010, 12:44 PM
Or just have a clean and dirty Dev button and keep the scroll button for zooming in and out since WoW does a terrible job of camera work and I try to stay zoomed out as much as possible which means if I'm in corners I'm often playing a lot with zoom...

Replacing a naked Dev button completely with one that has HS macro'd is a bad idea. But have 2 (or three if you macro cleave, though in my setup I don't use Dev for trash AoE and never had a problem) options works just fine.

Different binds for different folks - I personally bound the zooming to shift + mousewheel and it works great for me (I too play with my camera a lot)

As for 3 binds that share the same core ability...seems superfluous to me, but I'm a big fan of having everything bound in convenient places and we have *lots* of buttons to push.

Like I said, go with the binds that you are comfortable with, just throwing out some options.

Apolyon101
08-16-2010, 08:24 AM
Well as an update for what my threat is like now after i made this post.

it has gone from 6-10k to a solid 9k - 13k depending on the fight.. sure there is still room for improvement but ive changed a few of my key binds up and moved a few of my higher priorities to easier places to push.. I didn't however swap a lot of the macro's up only one i did that helped me was Dev and HS im usually never low on rage so i didn't really bother with putting another Dev on my bar.. instead since i use bartender i hit shift + the up arrow and it takes me to the same bar just w/o the dev HS macro..

i also cleaned up my rotation instead of mindlessly spamming buttons i took a step back actually look at things.. so thanks again all i appreciate the time and feedback you have given me!

praetoria
08-17-2010, 09:49 AM
Hey guys,

Currently im low on threat im pushing 6-10k tps on ICC it fluctuates so dang much and gets so irritating, and after talking with another prot warrior he says with my gear i should be close to 16k tps basically what i do is priority system

Shield Slam, Devastate, heroic strike, If revenge procced then revenge if not thunderclap heroic strike, Shield slam, heroic strike, devastate, heroic strike if nothing else is off CD conc blow or Shock wave, If everything is on CD then i just spam devastate/heroic strike..

here is my armory
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Terenas&cn=Apolyon

i know im low on hit and expertise but should that really effect my threat that much?

I have had this problem, and there are several approaches to resolving this. also, there is a long winded post called "defence support thresholds " that touches on threat vs EHP in top end icc, and why it is acceptable. however, read at your own risk.. you may not be mentally sound after reading the entire post.. you will find there many links, one spicificly about the static returns on the icc buff and how threat is effected by high dps.

as for what i would change if i were you, first change out blood draining for mongoose. you will notice a large difference right away.

second, a lot of prot warriors are under hit and exp cap now, but given the previously mentioned fact about threat gen and the icc buff, if you are having problems your going to need eaither more raid support then ur getting, or aim for the at least one of the caps. (hit or exp). you can afford to drop some of the stam you have right now for threat gen.. my guess is ur buffing to around 80k in icc.

the first place you can start is your glove enchant. the parry is wasted, but the 2% threat is worth it given the reason for the post. beyond that, pick a cap, and replace some of the 30+ stam with 15+ until you are remotly close to a cap.. making the 3 changes mentioned should drasticly effect your overall threat gen.

Also, i would change your priority order to the following"

ss, rev if proced, if not proced shockwave or concusion blow, dev, tk.

and spamming hs inbetween each attack as much as you can without becomming rages starved.. aim for the primary rotation first, rage can become more of a problem if your missing too often and spamming hs. slowly incorporate hs to this rotation.

and i hope your maximiumizing shield block

you will also notice that if you nail this rotation, you will never have everything on cd at the end of any one rotation. this allows a more fluid rotation and likewise more threat gen, as your maximiumizing ur abilities.