PDA

View Full Version : Death Knight Major issues with AoE Tanking

Gereid
08-12-2010, 03:32 AM
Hello, im looking for help with Death Knight tanking, im very newbie when it comes to tank, and i need to learn much things.
I can do pretty well, with 1-3 npcs, but it becoming really hard when more mobs are pulled, usually at 6 im just swithing targets and trying to taunt everything. There is no problems with AoE classes like hunter mage etc, but usually i have to deal with melee classes like retri and DK, which just keep hitting single target (most of time target that isnt on my target). I have copied Blood build from tanks that are used to tank icc - 53/8/10 .
Anyway, Heroic instances that shouldnt be hard usually ends with:

http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/1320/wowscrnshot081210121919.jpg

Im using Threat plates to keep my eye on aoe threat, but it barelly works, sometimes green bars just run away and attack healer.

If there are any tactic to have better threat on mobs, i would love to know them.

Best regards, Gereid.

Shieldie
08-12-2010, 03:35 AM
Honestly I wouldnt reccomend blood for you, try a frost spec, its more suited for less experienced tanks and makes aoe a breeze

Timberton
08-12-2010, 03:45 AM
also hotkey "Skull" and throw it on one of the mobs in there that looks more mean as you run to it.
You will them focus a bit more on skull, and you'll be having a bit higher threat on it. Your melee companions should by now know what to attack. They ignore it at their risk

2 melee dps each using single target rotation on different mobs, along with a aoe-ing ranged, make for nice lol moments on fresh or undergeared tanks

Gereid
08-12-2010, 04:20 AM
there are much frost tanks that are using 2h instead of duals. Is it a good move as for low geared tank?

honestly i cant find any dualvield tank at top 50 wow heroes frost tanks.

Shieldie
08-12-2010, 04:48 AM
Its preference, and the fact that dualweild can get you parry gibbed if the boss allows it, I personally like dualweild frost but its just preference.

PatrikL
08-12-2010, 07:31 AM
You didnt say how your rotation works but as someone already suggested, switch to a frost build instead. It is in my opinion much more forgiving when it comes to dungeons where pretty much any pull consist of 2+ mobs.

When tanking more than one mob, always start off by placing a DnD at their feet. It its melee mobs you can place the DnD just touching the closest mob so that they will run through it when aggroed. If you have caster mobs also you need to make sure they are standing in the DnD. After that if you are frost you do a Howling Blast. It was a long time since I tanked as frost now so I can't tell you what the rotation is but there are guides here on TS that will tell you that. Just DnD and HB should hold the mobs for a long time but after that apart from marking mobs up so that the dps attack the same ones as you, you can also tab around a bit and hit the ones you are close to loosing a bit more.

evoqboef
08-12-2010, 02:39 PM
Blood spec tanks are really hard if you are undergeared dont know what your GS is atm but i switched to blood too early! but when you reach about 4,8 gs its getting easier and easier! till that time like already said frost is your way to go easy aoe threat generation! if you still want to stay blood then to build up more threat i suggest Glyph your Icy touch then if you lack on threat on a mob just spam IT after you hit blood tap that generat alote of threath also turn your self in till the most mobs you pulled with DnD ( death and decay) are in front of you. when ever you hit with HS ( heart strike ) you not only hitting the target you select but also the one next to it! i also put a talent in Corps explosion to get me a extra skill next to DnD and blood boil that do AoE damage! when your first target ore other mob dies CE is a good threat generator

i hope this would help you GL and HF

Gereid
08-12-2010, 04:39 PM
Hello, i found these hints really helpfull. I already swithed to glyphed HB spec + deathchill. 1 killing machine HB and its mostly like aoe taunt :)

One problem that i found hard to deal with is retaunting random dropped mobs. is there any way to do it faster?

My gear is arround 4k gs with few chunks of dps gear. I have missing 30 defence and just 25k hp. so its sometimes hot *frostfingers* Arround 200 triumphs should make me done.

Terae
08-12-2010, 05:39 PM
My gear is arround 4k gs with few chunks of dps gear. I have missing 30 defence and just 25k hp. so its sometimes hot *frostfingers* Arround 200 triumphs should make me done.

So you're missing 30 defense from being capped? I'd say that's why people are kicking you out of groups.