PDA

View Full Version : Druid Boomkin DPS Haste or keep gemming crit?

Mythrantis
08-11-2010, 08:43 PM
Hi i'm just wondering with the current gear on my druid should I change the crit gems to haste and enchant Balck Magic?

character link here http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Khaz%27goroth&cn=Mythrantis

Quinafoi
08-12-2010, 08:32 AM
Above haste soft cap, spellpower is always more valuable to a balance druid than haste. The Black Magic should never be used by a balance druid, period. As a balance druid you never want anything that procs for increased haste or crit, because the proc is completely worthless half the time. Best case scenario it would be great, however you can't control the proc and worst case scenario it has absolutely no benefit at all during a Solar Eclipse.

WrathCalcs puts haste valued at about 1.33 and crit at about 1.15 if fully raid buffed for you including a warlock with Demonic Pact that has 4000 spellpower and Focus Magic. So each Reckless Ametrine is about 1.8 DPS higher than the Potent Ametrine counterpart. I would still personally continue to go for crit instead however so long as the haste soft cap is maintained.

One critical gemming mistake however is your bracer. You have to pay attention to socket bonuses. A 4 spirit socket bonus isn't worth it, and that should be a Runed Cardinal Ruby instead. Chest socket bonus would not be worth going for if it did not count towards the two blues required for your meta, you should look into replacing the chest piece with the tier piece when you can get access to a token for the Sanctified version.

You have glyphed typhoon but don't have the typhoon spell. I would personally recommend picking up the spell for use in particular when you are forced to move, however wouldn't bother glyphing it since the glyphed form is purely for optimal AoE DPS rotation and hurts the usefulness of the ability overall. Force of Nature is valued around 190 DPS increase to pick up the talent. You are speced multiple points into Moonglow when your crit and intellect are high enough that you should generate mana faster than you consume it, at least one (if not both) of the points in Moonglow should be reallocated. You are over hit cap by 97 hit rating, 123 if grouped with a Draenei. Since you are over 2% higher than the hit cap, you should drop a point in Balance of Power. It is ok to drop points in Balance of Power, it is not ok to drop points in Improved Faerie Fire because the crit still increases DPS by a fair amount even if the hit doesn't benefit you.

Bracer, Weapon, Cloak, Boots are all sub-optimal because of spirit. You should look at replacing those. The 251 boots from 10 man ICC are better than the 264 boots out of 25 man ICC because they are better itemized. Cloak you could get from Dreamwalker on either 10 or 25 man that is better itemized for DPS. Bracer you would have to go to Ruby Sanctum 25 to get the BiS for balance, otherwise you'd have to settle for a cloth counterpart. Weapon there is a better dagger off 10 man Sindragosa or you could switch to a staff instead such as Nibelung.

Also, there are lower item level trinkets that would be better than Purified Lunar Dust. That mana regen is worthless cause you generate mana faster than you consume it. The 179 spellpower is about 351 DPS for you. Illustration of the Dragon Soul (Sarth 25), Eye of the Broodmother (Ulduar 10), Flare of the Heavens (Ulduar 25), Phylactery of the Nameless Lich (ICC 25), Dislodged Foreign Object (ICC 25), and Charred Twilight Scale (RS 25) would all be stronger trinkets.

Mythrantis
08-12-2010, 08:47 AM
Thnx man the glyph i keep forgetting about to change but the rest has been extremely helpful, and i chose the chest as i saw it was better than the T10 version and already having the 4pc bonus

Quinafoi
08-12-2010, 08:54 AM
The tier pieces when upgraded are BiS in all slots except I believe gloves. The 277 cloth glove alternative is an option that doesn't have hit. The tier pieces would be best in slot in all slots if you needed the hit from both your gloves and your legs. If you don't however, only one of the two pieces with hit would end up not being BiS.

Once you can upgrade your chest to the 264 version. It will be better than what you have. Though you will need to rework sockets slightly to cover meta requirement, that could be done by getting the 10 man boots.

Webad
08-12-2010, 10:16 AM
with Cata coming .... Mana pool will once again be an issue. You will curse your self for not presetting your gear in advance. In keeping haste come November you will find yourself in a raid looking all cool and fluffy feathered with an empty mana bar and not doing any DPS after 9-10 casts.
Same can be said fo all the people gearing armor penitration.
Gear for the future and save your money.

MellvarTank
08-12-2010, 10:37 AM
Same can be said fo all the people gearing armor penitration.
Gear for the future and save your money.

This is the worst advice I have ever read on this forum, bar none.

Harmacy
08-12-2010, 11:02 AM

I know right? He thinks Cata is coming out in NOVEMBER! *giggles to death*

Quinafoi
08-12-2010, 11:07 AM
Actually, in Cataclysm, haste will have even less of an impact on the mana efficiency of a balance druid because of how the replenishment is being altered. If it takes X number of casts to enter an Eclipse, then it will take X number of casts regardless of if those casts are 1.4 seconds or 1.5 seconds. This is because of how the Lunar and Solar energy is gained leading to an Eclipse. Haste will only impact your relative mana consumption compared to spirit based regeneration, it will not alter the consumption rate relative to the replenishment effect caused by Eclipse.

Do you understand the mana replenishment aspects of balance today and how they compare to the mana replenishment aspects in Cataclysm? While a balance druid will not have infinite mana like they do today, they will still have sufficient mana efficiency to last through the encounter.

Also, any advice based on a beta that isn't finished yet is meaningless overall. Until things are finalized you have no idea how things will actually work out in the end product. Nor should any advice be given for something that doesn't even have a release date yet when the concerns of the player are based on the present.

Quinafoi
08-12-2010, 11:10 AM

Yes... and armor penetration was always useful and relevant information to a balance druid.

Harmacy
08-12-2010, 11:13 AM
This thread went from "useful information about boomkins" to "omg a retard! POINT AND LAUGH" real quick-like.

Webad
08-13-2010, 02:33 PM
And returning to somthing constructive.....
here you go
http://www.wow.com/2010/08/13/shifting-perspectives-gearing-up-your-moonkin-for-cataclysm/

MellvarTank
08-13-2010, 02:38 PM
And returning to somthing constructive.....
here you go
http://www.wow.com/2010/08/13/shifti...for-cataclysm/ (http://www.wow.com/2010/08/13/shifting-perspectives-gearing-up-your-moonkin-for-cataclysm/)

Again, gemming for Cataclysm based on current game mechanics is (for lack of a better word) stupid. It is a way to guarantee you will never raid current content.

Gear for current content based on current mechanics if you want to raid.

Ignore Webad, he's either trolling, or not raiding.

Mythrantis
08-16-2010, 07:59 AM
Screw gemming for cata it's roughly 4 months away? still enough time to be raiding and gems won't really matter until 85

Quinafoi
08-16-2010, 09:20 AM
So, I just read that lovely article, and it said absolutely nothing about gemming for Cataclysm.

You do realize that Spellpower gems will be converted to Intellect gems so I don't really see anything there that says "regem your druid for Cataclysm".

I think I'll stick to reading what the real theorycrafters have to say like Hamlet over at EJ instead of people misinterpreting articles with false assumptions.

In fact the only thing of real value the article said is that there will be a shift to wearing leather exclusively, however that was already pretty well understood in the balance druid theorycrafting community.