View Full Version : Tanking Omg ma Tanking :-|

Marcuslfc
08-10-2010, 10:39 AM
Hello :) I need some advice on My pally Tanking

I am level 80 Protection Pally:

My spec/Gear:
http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Spinebreaker&cn=Asclucifer

Now I need help with my addons / Enchants / Rotation

At the moment my Addons for tanking our Deadly boss mods, Pally powah and omen threat meter.

I am not 100% sure about my enchants for all my gear.

and my rotation is: If pulling: Avenger sheild, Consecration, Hammer of the Righteous, Holy Shield, Shield of Righteousness. Then a judgment, then just rinse and repeat till boss or mobs our dead.

I am not 100% if my Rotaion is correct for or best for getting/holding aggro, and i am not sure if i need any more addons or enchants :) any help or advice would be Greatly appreciated :) thank you

Aggathon
08-10-2010, 10:48 AM
Gems/Enchants/Gear:
Shoulders: Change the enchant to the PvP +30stam/+15resil enchant
Cloak: Change the enchant to 225 armor
Chest: Change the enchant to 275 HP
Bracers: I have a feeling you just got these, good pickup, toss in a 30 stam gem.
Gloves: get the leatherworking kit, either 240 armor or 18 stam. I'd say 240 armor since your armor is pretty low
Belt: Get Verdigis Chain Belt asap (frost badge belt). A great temporary belt is to get indestructible plate girdle crafted. The belt is a great place to hit the red gem requirement for your helm, use a +10agi/+15 stam gem.
Legs: replace the parry gem with a stam gem, but also get Pillars of Might as soon as you can.
Weapon: pick up either mongoose or blood draining. I really prefer blood draining but many people fight tooth and nail about this one. Neither one will make a huge difference over the other, so I'd say personal preference. Mongoose looks cooler though =P.

Spec:
Idk the exact point distro, someone else will have to help but usually the cookie cutter is 0/58/13

Addons:
I hear a lot of people using tidy plates
get a unit/raid frame addon like Xperl or Grid or something like that, it'll help a lot
I really like Elkhano's Buff Bars, Satrina's buff bars are also really good

Rotation: uhhh 969? =P

Harmacy
08-10-2010, 11:00 AM
Your spec is mostly correct, but Divinity is very weak (1% healing per talent point) whereas Crusade affects ALL damage you deal, and thus threat. It also will deal the full 6% against pretty much anything.

Your single-target rotation is 96969 (you seem to have it right). For raid bosses, I'd open up with Hand of Reckoning right before you Frisbee - it deals some damage (and thus threat) if the target is not attacking you, which helps a little with initial aggro.

Aggathon has the gear stuff correct, although I think that the crafted 226 belt would be a waste of gold if you decide to get the Frostie one soon (which you probably should).

For addons, I actually use VuhDo for my raid frames even when tanking. It's primarily a healing addon, but it can function like regular raid frames as well (I just bind 'target' to my left-click, then have various keybinds for stuff like Righteous Defense or Hand of Sacrifice, or Divine Intervention if I really want to wipe the raid!).

Marcuslfc
08-10-2010, 11:55 AM
:) thanks alot people changed a few things changing more soon :)

sifuedition
08-10-2010, 12:10 PM
"rinse and repeat" concerns me. Tanking cinfession time, before I learned better, I was going through something similar to what you listed and then starting again at the top. The key to 969 is you never start over until the next pull. Continue alternating 9s and 6s.

Marcuslfc
08-16-2010, 05:52 AM
:) Well i changed bits of my Gear :D

Still working on getting pillars of might,

Thank you Very much for the help
is there anything else i need too change/do

Lumines
08-16-2010, 07:02 AM
You don't need to be at the melee hit cap. That 20 hit gem in your cloak shouldn't be there, and you should be matching your meta requirements by putting that agi/stam gem in your belt to pick up a +9 stamina bonus, because where it is right now gains you nothing.

You don't need Arsman on your gloves. Consider an armour or stamina patch instead.

Accuracy will work out as more TPS than a Titanium Weapon Chain (again: you do not need to be hit-capped). Mongoose or Blood Draining are also viable weapon enchants.

You could consider getting the 30 stamina/15 resilience PvP shoulder inscription instead of the Sons of Hodir one, since you are so far past the defense minimum.

+10 stats to chest is a threat enchant. +275 health is more EH.

Marcuslfc
08-16-2010, 02:55 PM
changed them over Going too get new enchant on my wep :D

Anymore Help would be Great :D

Insahnity
08-16-2010, 03:13 PM
At the moment my Addons for tanking our Deadly boss mods, Pally powah and omen threat meter.

You can look in to threatplates, mik's scrolling combat test grid/clique.

I am not 100% sure about my enchants for all my gear.
Covered by Agg.

and my rotation is: If pulling: Avenger sheild, Consecration, Hammer of the Righteous, Holy Shield, Shield of Righteousness. Then a judgment, then just rinse and repeat till boss or mobs our dead.
I've taken a shining to inserting an exorcism before everything else. Since it's the first move, you can have a really long cast time and it doesnt matter. Everything else is instacast, you cast while running to the target. Remember to shuffle your abilities based on situation. If Single target, ShotR first THEN HotR, if multiple targets, swap around the other way, weave in consecrate earlier, etc., and make sure things that hard to squeeze in are popped before pull (divine plea, sacred shield, etc.)

I am not 100% if my Rotaion is correct for or best for getting/holding aggro, and i am not sure if i need any more addons or enchants :) any help or advice would be Greatly appreciated :) thank you
We'd need more info for your rotation, specifically where you are having problems and what you are doing up until then. Although the 969 rotation is pretty mechanical, the ORDER in which you do it is very important.

As for spec, it's pretty minor, but you should move one point of improved judgements into benediction. It's not gonna change anything huge, but 2/2 imp judgements is a bit of a waste if you understand why 969 is what it is, factoring in how judgements fit into 969.

diegoromie
08-16-2010, 03:55 PM
how come can you have 30 stamina in every slot if it's not a blue slot?

Insahnity
08-16-2010, 03:58 PM
how come can you have 30 stamina in every slot if it's not a blue slot?

Methinks you need to explore this site a bit more :)

diegoromie
08-16-2010, 04:11 PM
Methinks you need to explore this site a bit more :)
i dont get it, i thought the 30 stamina gem was for blue slot only, thanks for answering though

Insahnity
08-16-2010, 04:14 PM
http://www.wowwiki.com/Gem

From there:

There are three colored socket types: red, yellow, and blue. Any gem can be placed into any socket, and you will receive the bonus for that gem.
If all the gems' colors match all the sockets' colors on an item, you will receive an additional socket bonus.

By placing blue gems in regular sockets they perceive the loss of the socket bonus to be an acceptable price, but following the colour of the socket is not a requirement.

diegoromie
08-16-2010, 04:19 PM
Thanks man! Still can't believe i didn't know that!

Insahnity
08-16-2010, 04:23 PM
You will find you will learn a great deal of things here, my young padawan.

Harmacy
08-16-2010, 08:59 PM
As for spec, it's pretty minor, but you should move one point of improved judgements into benediction. It's not gonna change anything huge, but 2/2 imp judgements is a bit of a waste if you understand why 969 is what it is, factoring in how judgements fit into 969.

Meh. Doesn't matter either way - neither is the slightest bit useful to a raider. Benediction means you can go 2% longer in a 5-man without needing to drink (doesn't matter), and 2/2 Imp Judgements only affects your trash DPS when you aren't sticking to 96969.

Marcuslfc
08-29-2010, 11:10 AM
:) Thanks alot for the help! IF there is any more tactics :D please help me! :D

Lumines
08-30-2010, 01:17 AM
Everything on your armoury looks solid. I don't like the Glyph of HotR since it does nothing for you on single targets, but that's personal preference. Gems, enchants and spec are good.