PDA

View Full Version : DPS Having problems with LK phase 2

Boombak
08-09-2010, 09:14 PM
So, my group is an awesome group, we have killer dps, killer heals, and have no problems with anything in the encounter, except for the Defile....I wanna know if there's an addon that will mark the defile targets so we can at least get the heck away from them. thanks all for the help :D

alocer
08-09-2010, 09:40 PM
Are you spreading out for defile ?

We originally had a couple of issues with the defiles and found that making sure everyone was spread for them was the easiest way to deal with them while people get used to the mechanic of escaping from them, there is only the tricky point of the 2nd defile/valk timer being close together that spreading may not be the easiest way to get used to the mechanic, once people are used to dealing with it then the need to get everyone spread out becomes less (melee especially) as the defiles are dealt with more efficiently.

A couple of tips given by other forum members that we used to make this easier, was to have one person always calling the defile timers so people knew when to spread (also calling valk timers as well), I believe dbm enables chat bubbles that say defile on me and warns if it is on you or near you in plenty of time to get away from it.

I would also like to point you to this thread where the good folk on here gave me a hell a lot of decent advice on dealing with fight mechanics from first attempts up until our kill

http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.php?68473-New-to-lk-fight&p=444912#post444912

Hope some of this is of help and gl

Metasynaptic
08-09-2010, 09:59 PM
Try boss encounters 2. It seems to have the timing of the defiles down pretty well.

Just remember that LK is the most intensive raid awareness fight there is right now.

Gotta lvoe that phase... stack for valk, spread for defile, and then you get unlucky and have both at once.

Squirrelnut
08-10-2010, 08:00 AM
The response time of an addon for marking a player with defile, then having them notice it, then having them start running away would likely result in them moving too slowly. Easiest approach I find is to:

Use DBM to provide timers for Valk & Defile
Mark a player for everyone to stack on in a hunter trap as Valk spawn so that Valk always travel together toward the closes edge
Pre-spread for defile so that no matter who it is on only 1 or two people will have to move and they should be moving already to spread so they simply continue running and are almost guaranteed to be off before causing it to spread
We prefer stacking so that Valk carry players East & West and when spreading have everyone North & South so that you leave a clear lane for DPSing the Valk down.
If you have locks have them stand out near the edge and ignore Valks that pick them up, they can portal back onto the ledge once dropped and save you DPS time for Valks that matter
It is an endurance fight, meters mean nothing, make it clear that people simply need to spread/stack as called in vent. No early deaths and no standing on defile usually = LK kill

Quinafoi
08-10-2010, 08:25 AM
You will want a boss mod (Deadly Boss Mods, Deus Vox Encounters, or BigWigs) for this encounter to provide cooldown timers of his abilities. The abilities follow two rules. There is a cooldown between their use, and they can not be activated simultaneously (he can't cast Defile until a Val'kyr actually picks up someone if he summoned the Val'kyr first). It's important to know ahead of time that the ability is coming so you mentally prepare yourself to react to it.

Additionally, one addon that isn't very well known but may also help is the "Lich" addon.
http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addons/details/lich.aspx

It checks a different combat event than the boss mods check for and can sometimes alert you faster of who the defile target is (yourself or not). It will play sounds, one sound indicates that it is not cast on you meaning you have to avoid someone else's defile (this is Rotface's aggro sound, "Weeeeeeee!"). The other meaning it is cast on you (this is Algalon's phase two sound, "Beware!").

While it isn't absolutely necessary. You may be able to respond faster to an auditory indicator rather than trying to interpret what you see quickly.

Bashal
08-10-2010, 08:28 AM
While there is a delay for DBM to mark defile targets, there isn't a delay for DBM's /say warning.

It's best to be aware of the timer and call out a warning before it hits so people know to spread out, but if you have /say set to display as a chat bubble on-screen, it's also easier to see who is getting the defile once it's cast.

Belt and suspenders.

Quinafoi
08-10-2010, 08:33 AM
True, however in many cases those say warnings have been wrong because of when they occur. You get those cases often in a 25 man raid where two different people say defile is on them? Only one of them can be correct.

Bashal
08-10-2010, 08:43 AM
True, however in many cases those say warnings have been wrong because of when they occur. You get those cases often in a 25 man raid where two different people say defile is on them? Only one of them can be correct.

Haven't done LK 25, so wasn't aware it could glitch there. DBM has some other issues in 25's so its not surprising, though.

But still, if you can come up with more than one way for people to be passively and/or actively alerted, it'll be hard to miss.

Nez
08-10-2010, 08:48 AM
Have everyone turn on Chat Bubbles as mentioned above. It really helps everyone else get the heck away from the defile person as well as makes a super easy to see warning for the person that gets it.

Boombak
08-10-2010, 02:38 PM
Thanks all for the replies, I guess we'll just have to keep working on it! Reminds me of the nights of endless wiping on Illidan when BT was end game.

Boombak
08-12-2010, 11:21 PM
Found an addon that works really well on LK phase 2 for any other that are having problems. Deus VoX does areally good job of marking whoever is going to have Defile

madocks
08-12-2010, 11:28 PM
Have everyone turn on Chat Bubbles as mentioned above. It really helps everyone else get the heck away from the defile person as well as makes a super easy to see warning for the person that gets it.

Awesome advice, this really really helps

Griff
08-13-2010, 12:30 AM
http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addons/details/defile-warning.aspx