PDA

View Full Version : Tanking Trying out tanking again?

Pyromaniak
08-08-2010, 10:46 AM
I've been getting asked to tank for heroics but the problem is I mainly prot pvp. My GS is around 5100 with pvp on. My old tank set from the beginning of the expansion meets 540 def, but the health pool is pretty low at 29 k - I really don't wanna hear rofl rogue has more hps than the tank. =P

So, where do I begin this late in the game? or should I just wait it out until cata.

Harmacy
08-08-2010, 11:51 AM
29k is fine for heroics, although it's inevitable you're going to meet some retards with attitude problems. Such is life, unfortunately.

If you link your armory, we could help you fine-tune a bit.

Rriparetti
08-08-2010, 12:27 PM
29k is more than fine for heroics.
I started doing heroics with a bout..I wanna say 20k health but I was defense capped through the daunting set.
Good healers will make sure you are defense capped, and it will give them something to do.

Get up to 32k, gem and enchant any gear that is i245+ (if you start raiding, youll be replacing one item or more in a week, generally.) Start raiding ToC10, know the fights and ask if you can OT it.
Once you are around 34-35k ask if you can go into ICC. 30% buff will make your health be around 50k buffed, I would believe. Mine is 40k unbuffed, and around 60k in ICC.

tldr; go spam heroics for some i245/232 gear. priority always is 4pt9 --> black heat from toc5 normal --> neck and belt from conquest --> glyph of indom. trinket. Basically once you cant get anything more from triumphs, youll be around 5050gs and be more than fine for heroics.

If you are into Arena, make an arena team and get 300 or so arena points and buy the 277 shield. I believe it will replace any shield before ICC, maybe the shield from ICC10 is better? If not, get the i219 shield from regular HoR, its ezmode compared to heroic.

Harmacy
08-08-2010, 01:25 PM
tldr; go spam heroics for some i245/232 gear. priority always is 4pt9 --> black heat from toc5 normal --> neck and belt from conquest --> glyph of indom. trinket. Basically once you cant get anything more from triumphs, youll be around 5050gs and be more than fine for heroics.

Why 4 piece T9? The offset helm and shoulders are much better, and none of the T9 bonuses are very exciting (30 secs on Divine Protection rarely makes a difference).

Rriparetti
08-08-2010, 07:54 PM
I could be way off.
I was told that 4pt9 is desireable for any class.
But yeah, helm and shoulders are better in terms of stats..but meh.
My friend told me for holy, 4pt9 > all (for nonraiders atleast), so I assumed it did for most classes. My bad.

Chasey
08-09-2010, 06:27 PM
Someone will always have something to say about your health pools as a tank if you are below ICC gear. Don't sweat it, make sure you are at 535 def for heroics, 540 for raids and que up for heroics. You'll gear up fast and enjoy the last few months or weeks of wrath.

Metasynaptic
08-09-2010, 08:55 PM
4pT9 for warriors isn't magical, but it can help with threat generation if you are having agro issues.

I went 245 helm and shoulders, and they lasted me until I got the 277 shoulders from heroic lootship. Still gunning for the 264 hat from LDW.

kolben
08-10-2010, 02:28 PM
My old tank set from the beginning of the expansion meets 540 def, but the health pool is pretty low at 29 k - I really don't wanna hear rofl rogue has more hps than the tank. =P

That's about 5K more HP than I had main tanking at the beginning of WotLK running all heroics and Naxx 10/25, OS 10/25 and for the first couple weeks. Really, the amount of gear blizzard has thrown at players is excessive. If you get out there and tank consistently and spend your badges on what gear you can get off a vendor you'll be ready to go for ICC in no time, especially if you have access to ICC10/25 as DPS.