PDA

View Full Version : Paladin Best way to get Heirloom Items? New lv 80 Prot pally

Mitoj
08-05-2010, 06:07 AM
Hi,

I just hit 80 on my pally and want to get heirloom items for all the new characters i want to roll.
What is the most efficient way to get the emblems/seals to buy the Heirloom pieces?

Thanks

Davih
08-05-2010, 06:09 AM
Just run random heroics
You can turn triumphs into conquest, conquest into valor, and valor into heroism and spend the heroism on the heirlooms.

Chasey
08-05-2010, 09:37 AM
well ur prot, insta que's ond extra badges for a random. If you hit 80 are you planning to gear up the 80 or are you going to back to leveling? I would enjoy the 80 for a bit.
Oh a side not, you can buy some BOA's from the wg pvp vendor and if you are really crazy you can do the argent daillies, get exhaulted and purchase some BOA's like that too.

Dannyl
08-06-2010, 12:06 AM
The only ways really is to buy them with either emblems of heroism or champion seals from the Argent Tournament, which you can get from the dailies at the tournament site. Emblems is the probably your best bet, since you can run them endlessly all day until your eyes start to water. At best, you will get 12 seals from the tournament per day; x9 from dailies and x3 from doing 5-man ToC hc.

Mitoj
08-06-2010, 06:27 AM
Hi folks,

Thanks for the replies so far!

I got some lvl 200 crafted gear and a Tankard O'Terror from AH.
Gear Score is 3329. HP is around 24k.
Can i effectively tank in a Heroic?
If not, what runs should I do for gear upgrades to get ready for Heroics?

Thanks for all the help...

Ultimaspike
08-06-2010, 06:51 AM
Yea just grind heroics for the emblems to finish off your gear and get them for downgrading to get BOAs. Your gearscore is a lil low and so is your health but if you just hit 80 and havnt gotten geared yet then its acceptable. As long as you are defense capped you can run heroics but dont be suprised if some people whine about having a tank with low health, most of them are spoiled with the ICC tanks out there and their 40-some-odd-k health. If you want some good critiques on gear post your armory page and we can help you with it.

Mitoj
08-06-2010, 07:56 AM
Yet another embarrassing noob moment...
How do I link my Armory?

Character is Mitoj on Lightbringer

Shieldie
08-06-2010, 08:16 AM
No you arent ready for tanking heroics. You need to get alot more defense gear, try more tempered saronite pieces, and defense gems and chants, You currently have dps gear equiped in some slots, and you logged out with a grey 1h weapon o.O..

You will have a really hard time keeping groups with your current setup. you are crittable aswell, sitting at 481 defense. you need 530 to do heroics (or was it 535? i dont remember, I started doing them on my first tank with around 520 though) to not be critted, I reccomend queuing as ret for now while picking up better tanking gear in instances

Bashal
08-06-2010, 08:38 AM
535 defense rating to be uncrittable in heroics, 540 for raids.

But yes, if you have a decent healer (I mean one that knows how to heal, not necessarily overgeared), you can get away with being a little crittable, like around 520, As Shieldie said.

But you'll want to fix that and get to 535 asap, or some healers will get really pissed with you. ;)

Mitoj
08-06-2010, 08:44 AM
lol, yeah I'm working on maxing all my weapon skills ATM so I have a bunch of lvl 3 weapons i'm wielding.
I'll look at what I can do for the upgrades.shouldn't be too hard to get 50 more defense I hope.

Thx again

BruisedOoze
08-06-2010, 09:57 AM
Yeah that's 481 without tank oriented Chest, Cape, Shield and a weapon. The cape is easily replaced at Wyrmrest with Cloak of Peaceful Resolutions (http://www.wowhead.com/item=44188) due to you being honoured already. If you can nail revered there's also a good chest-piece there.

Mitoj
08-06-2010, 08:37 PM
Hi folks,

I upgraded to the Temperd Saronite pieces and added a Eternal Earthsiege Diamond to helm and now I have 537 Defense and about 24k HP.
Ran a few Heroics and about 1/3 of them wiped because I couldn't hold aggro. One in particular the Mage died 3 times because he kept pulling mobs off me...

What piece should I buy first with my Triumph Emblems to make me a better tank.
Right now I feel like a charity case for the rest of the group.

Mitoj - Lightbringer

Chasey
08-07-2010, 08:15 AM
Hi folks,

I upgraded to the Temperd Saronite pieces and added a Eternal Earthsiege Diamond to helm and now I have 537 Defense and about 24k HP.
Ran a few Heroics and about 1/3 of them wiped because I couldn't hold aggro. One in particular the Mage died 3 times because he kept pulling mobs off me...

What piece should I buy first with my Triumph Emblems to make me a better tank.
Right now I feel like a charity case for the rest of the group.

Mitoj - Lightbringer

I don't know where to begin.
Gems- 1st you don't have to put the color gem in that a socket is. You can put anything in a gem socket you just won't get the bonus. 2nd other than stam or def (only if you are below cap) should you ever put a solid (ie red or yellow but see above) blue gem in a slot. In your red slots you have pure dodge this socket gemmed w/16dodge give you a .25% chance to dodge. Go with stam/dodge in those slots or if you really want to look pro, add extra armor and get some crit throw in an agi/stam in the red sockets.
Red=red, purple, orange
Yellow-yellow, green, orange
Blue= blue, purple, green
Enchants- the 18stam LW kits don't really cut it for long. Get the tabard of the argent dawn and go buy the helm enchant. 37stam and 20 def I believe. Legs and boots have very cheap enchants that will net you more stam and avoidance and are probably cheaper than the 18 stam armor kit.
Gear- I pray that the weapon you have equiped is a trainer weapon and not what you are tanking with. You asked what you should upgrade next...you are walking the line of being crittable, go with what upgrades that net you the most def. There area few guides around here on what to upgrade 1st. As long as whatever you are getting has more def than what you got rid of its probably a huge upgrade. Trinkets need help bad.
Heroic VH has a nice block trinket, Reg HoL has a def trinket and RUN REG TOC EVERY CHANCE you get to get black heart! That is a must for you, A MUST! The libram should be upgraded to a dodge or str 245 libram soon too.

I know you initally asked about BOA gear, plz even thou Cata is close, enjoy this 80, get feel for the game and learn to play the pally tank for a bit. Running heroics due to trying to gear up alts now seems like a waste. In a month or two you have to level again.

Mitoj
08-07-2010, 08:54 AM
Wow, so much to think about...
Gems, had no idea about not having to use same color gems...
So, I could add Solid Dragon's eye to all my gem slots to get a huge boost to my stamina? or Thick Dragon's Eye for more defense?
When I spend my triumph emblems on new gear can I remove gems from sockets in old armor and put in new armor?
Where can I get a better tanking weapon to use while I wait for one to drop from Heroics? I am currently using the Tankard O'Terror
Will a faster tanking weapon help me generate more threat?
What spells/skill generate the most threat besides Righteous Fury?

Thanks for all your help!

Zyffyr
08-07-2010, 02:00 PM
Enchants- the 18stam LW kits don't really cut it for long. Get the tabard of the argent dawn and go buy the helm enchant. 37stam and 20 def I believe. Legs and boots have very cheap enchants that will net you more stam and avoidance and are probably cheaper than the 18 stam armor kit.

On the feet, the 18 STA kits are reasonable. The alternatives being Tuskarr's (15 STA and runspeed, which a properly speced Prot Paladin doesn't need) or Greater Fortitude (22 STA). Greater Fort is of course clearly better, but depending on the economy of the server the relative cost may or may not be reasonable. Definitely no reason to change it out now, but once he has better boots he should look into using better.

For any other slot, yeah the kit isn't a very good choice.

Zyffyr
08-07-2010, 02:14 PM
Wow, so much to think about...
Gems, had no idea about not having to use same color gems...
So, I could add Solid Dragon's eye to all my gem slots to get a huge boost to my stamina? or Thick Dragon's Eye for more defense?

1)Dragons Eye are JC only, and assuming you are the Mitoj I found on the armory you aren't one and so can't use them.
2)If you are a JC, you can only equip a total of 3 Dragon's Eyes at a given time.
But, yes you can load every thing with Solids if you want to. Many tanks do essentially that, with only 2 purple gems mixed in to activate their meta gem.

When I spend my triumph emblems on new gear can I remove gems from sockets in old armor and put in new armor?Once a gem has been inserted, it can not be removed. A new gem can be put in over top of it, but the old one is never recoverable.

Where can I get a better tanking weapon to use while I wait for one to drop from Heroics? I am currently using the Tankard O'Terror

Other than waiting on drops, the only decent option is from grinding the Argent Tournament. One of the items available there is a decent iLevel 200 epic tanking weapon.
For specific drops to watch out for :
There are a few Blue quality tanking weapons from the older level 80 dungeons, and heroic UP has the Red Sword of Courage (level 200 epic).
Heroic ToC has the Peacekeeper Blade
Heroic Pit of Saron has Rimefang's Claw
Heroic Halls of Reflection has one whose name I am blanking on at the moment.

Will a faster tanking weapon help me generate more threat?Not really. Most of your threat comes from your abilities and not you regular attacks.

What spells/skill generate the most threat besides Righteous Fury?Look up the 969 rotation.