PDA

View Full Version : Tanking Gearing for ICC 10

Solidsword
08-04-2010, 07:57 AM
Hey Tankspot, In dire need of help so I registered...

I'm a lvl 80 DK tank, trying to gear up for ICC
All I get from raid leaders is 'You suck, Go away', When everyone in Random HC's I meet says 'You're ready for ICC 10'

Please help me decide whether or not i'm ready, and if not, what gear to get

Armoury: http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Terenas&cn=Solidsword

WoW-Heroes: http://wow-heroes.com/index.php?zone=eu&server=Terenas&name=Solidsword

bigruver
08-04-2010, 08:13 AM
Gear is fine to start ICC, crafted bracers, badge armor trinket and sigil are easily upgradeable. My main concern would be your gemming choices. In ICC effective health is king, gem stam, then stam, and some stam. And a nightmare tear to activate your meta. Best of luck.

Solidsword
08-04-2010, 08:41 AM
Dude, i'm a little confused...

You want me to buy Saronite Swordbreakers, Put a nightmare tear in them..
Get a trinket with emblems?

Bung
08-04-2010, 09:07 AM
I think what you need to know is that most people are spoiled by "over geared" tanks in icc10. I usually see tanks with 40-45k unbuffed HP in icc10. You are at 35k unbuffed. It's a little light. You are just about ready to do Icc10. A few more upgrades will help. The comment regarding the nightmare tear is about the idea the any one nightmare tear can activate your meta requirements. You seem hung on on gemming your gear for bonuses. At this point your DEF is 539 which isn't good enough to drop the DEF gems for pure stam. I would hold off on ICC and purchase a few more upgrades. Then I would replace all of your gems that are not stam with pure stam. Forget about gem bonuses, just gem +30 stam. If you get 50 frost buy the tank cloak. Get your ashen tank ring. Do toc25 for upgrades, and voa for gloves, pants. Best of luck.

sifuedition
08-04-2010, 09:25 AM
I'm at work and can't look at the eu armory on my iPhone (or can't figure out how) but from his reply, I can make some assumptions. I believe that he was recommending the saronite swordbreakers and the glyph of indomitability. As to the nightmare tear, I disagree. Use a dodge+stam hybrid in your best red socket, usually helm, and 30 stam everywhere else.

Also, I disagree somewhat with the previous poster. I can't tell which shoulder enchant you have but if it is the pvp one (it should be) then you only need 536 defense to be crit immune. If you have the hodir shoulder enchant and you are at 539, make sure that is including stoneskine gargolye/nerubian carapace. Just unequip your weapon and see if the number goes down. If it doesn't, then your runeforge has you covered. If it does, enchant your cloak or chest for that last bit rather than lost a stam gem.

Also, it is painful to overgear icc without getting into icc. Don't believe them if they say you need to. Do your best to find a guild. Pug in the meantime but remember they will have unreasonable expectations often. The odds are, you will never be working on hardmodes (at least not before cataclysm) so the non-tier tank pieces are best for you. Run voa to get gear quick but the crafted pillars of might and frost emblem gauntlets of the kraken will be better purchases for you so don't just rely on voa. If you can get into some toc 25s, there are likely some upgrades for you such as boots and trinket but without being able to see your gear, I can't be more specific.

Also, for frost purchases, my personal preference is belt->gloves->back

Solidsword
08-04-2010, 09:32 AM
I'm at work and can't look at the eu armory on my iPhon

I use the iPhone App, even though you cant follow the link, the character name and realm shows so it'll be ok

I cant decide what to replace, I was going to get the skeleton key and Indomitability

sifuedition
08-04-2010, 09:40 AM
Skeleton key should be one of your last frost purchases. Glyph of indom and black heart are solid and you can try for satrinas impending scarab (or juggernaughts vitality if you are horde) from toc 25 if you want a solid stam trinket. The bonus armor on the frost non-tier will be more important than the stam on the key.