PDA

View Full Version : Tanking beginner questions

hmt321
08-02-2010, 09:30 PM
leveled a undead warrior to about 70 (shlick) and just did not feel that i knew how to tank well, so rolled a NE (to see some of the ally content) and have been just running instances (tanking) and having a blast. I have a few questions that my readings on the net have turned up a variance of opinion.

my NE is only lvl 35-36 now, so these questions are not really about end game content, just what is best for 5 man instances while leveling.

here is link [link]http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Skywall&cn=Tasp[link]

1.) Is it better to have a fast weapon with lower dps, or slower weapon with higher dps?
- my 1st thought is that faster weapon = more rage, or am i just loosing out on threat

2.) should i hang on to gear that adds to DEF, even when i can get gear with better armor? Should i be chooseing +DEF gear over +stats(str,stam,agil) in the early game?

3.) should my stats priority be str>stam>agil or stam>str>agil

much thanks

Deldaris
08-02-2010, 09:37 PM
1) Better to have slower weapon with higher DPS
2) Go with +Stats gear to make solo questing viable
3) While leveling at 35 str>stam>agil again to make solo questing viable

chelseamadrox
08-02-2010, 09:38 PM
I'm pretty new at this myself, but I know Stam. plays one of the hugest roles in the game b/c of course, it adds health. Then I'd do strength.

hmt321
08-03-2010, 04:23 AM
im not solo questing at all with this toon

PimpJuice4
08-03-2010, 11:25 AM
is it worth tanking before i get cleave.because i dont know,i do fine on bosses but as far as trash goes i cant really judge how many mobs i should be pulling because i dont wanna pull to much but it seems like lately im not pulling enough

plus the lack of a aoe taunt kinda sucks(or do they get one at higher lvls).and i tried not solo questing,but i dont know.i got kinda burned out by just pvping and doing randoms all the time so i started doing randoms and questing and pvping every now and then

Griff
08-03-2010, 11:33 AM
Some quick rules of thumb:

1. If you die shortly after all the mobs you've pulled arrive in close proximity, you've pulled too much.
2. If your healer is at half (or less mana) after a trash pull, it's too much. Also, if they are wild-eyed or otherwise babbling, its another indicator that you might need to pull fewer bad guys.

PimpJuice4
08-03-2010, 11:43 AM
Some quick rules of thumb:

1. If you die shortly after all the mobs you've pulled arrive in close proximity, you've pulled too much.
2. If your healer is at half (or less mana) after a trash pull, it's too much. Also, if they are wild-eyed or otherwise babbling, its another indicator that you might need to pull fewer bad guys.

ya i think some of the times ive tried pulling more mobs.was with casters in the group,and maybe this gets better to do at higher lvls,but it seems like unless i charge and kill the caster first it screws me over,because i have no interupt skills that make it so where the caster would run to me and it usually ends with some hunter pulling aggro and dieing or somethin goes wrong

oh ya,and im tanking as arms if that matters any

Insahnity
08-03-2010, 11:51 AM
General thoughts:

You can't really seriously diagnose tanking until at least level 60, 40 is when you actually start to feel like a tank. Before then, you are the schmuck who volunteered to take hits, not much different than anybody else.
Plate at 40, Defense on gear and Stamina pretty much the order of the day at your range. Your options are very limited, so it's not like you have much choice.
If you are having survival issues, 95% of the time it is your actions or that of your healer, whereas at 70ish onwards, gearing becomes a bigger contribution to the causes of death.

1) Fast weapons are generally tanking weapons, except those with agi (for rogues, shamans, warriors and (lol) hunters). But at the end of the day, if the slow weapon helps you with threat and increases other tanky-stats (stamina being the big one), then go for it. But really, your weapon doesn't matter until 70ish.

2) Get def gear only because if you find it, it's spectacularly rare. What little def gear is available is definately itemized for tanks.

3) Gemming isn't your concern until 60+ (Outlands gear). Unless you manage to stay defense capped without any external help (gems/enchants), socket defense all the way. And really, even if you do get sockets, you are a) gonna replace the gear so quick it won't matter and b) you are overanalyzing this far too much, the differences are quite small as long as you socket it with something tank-like (be it stamina or defense).

PimpJuice4
08-03-2010, 01:14 PM
You can't really seriously diagnose tanking until at least level 60, 40 is when you actually start to feel like a tank. Before then, you are the schmuck who volunteered to take hits, not much different than anybody else.

hmmm

maybe i shouldnt worry about it to much then.cuz i mean,as far as bosses go i have no problem,its just trash and thats usually mobs that cast that screw me over

sifuedition
08-03-2010, 01:23 PM
Tanking is often called hard. In reality, the actual act of tanking is no harder than some healing or dps specs. The real work in tanking comes in learning how to gear and how to pull. When you get to heroics that you will repeat so often, they become routine. However, there is a learning curve where you will learn basic strategies like LoS. Now is a great time to work on those fundamentals as long as you treat failure (or near failure) as a learning experience and always look for what you did wrong or could have done better.