PDA

View Full Version : Tanking Warrior Tank Addons?

Stoutale
08-02-2010, 11:22 AM
I am working on experimenting with other addons for Protection Warrior tanking, especially when going to raid ICC.

I use the keyboard almost exclusively while I play, and I already use Omen and Deadly Boss Mods. What do other Warrior Tanks use?

damnpatch
08-02-2010, 11:59 AM
Are you intending on Raid Leading as well? (Tanking and Raid Leading just seem to fit so well together) If so, my list will expand, but just for tanking I would say....

Grid - At a minimum some sort of raid frames. I really like grid. You need to know whats going on with the rest of the raid.

TidyPlates - It is more useful at times than others, but I can't imagine tanking without it anymore. Threat plates is awesomesauce.

MSBT - Can show procs like Sword and Board, also gives you an idea of incoming damage and heals (by who)

Pitbull - Awesome unit frames addon. Can also add groups like Main Tanks or Main Assists. Can replace grid, but I prefer grids raid frames.

Satrinas Buff Frames - Specifically I have 2 additional frames for: my debuffs on my target (t-clap, demo, sunders etc) and my self buffs on me (Commanding Shout, wellfed, flask duration etc)

jonei
08-02-2010, 03:10 PM
Only addons i use is:
Tidyplates
DBM

Played at vanilla, when addons were rare, so i've never really gone into the part using "spartanUI" or whatsoever, and i truelly have NOOO idea wha Omen is...

Kanzo
08-02-2010, 03:29 PM
Only addons i use is:
Tidyplates
DBM

Played at vanilla, when addons were rare, so i've never really gone into the part using "spartanUI" or whatsoever, and i truelly have NOOO idea wha Omen is...
omen is threat meter and its kinda a must for all dps and tanks. http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addons/details/omen-threat-meter.aspx

Metasynaptic
08-02-2010, 08:49 PM
Ok, pretty much agree with everything here:

Must haves

Omen
Tidyplate + threatplates (this is tank god mode. get it)
DBM (must have for all players, regardless of class, spec, role)

Nice to haves

Power auras (gives some visual cues like when you are getting low on health, high on rage, what CDs are available)
Healbot (seems like an odd choice for a tank, but it makes it VERY easy to cast vigilence and intercept)

Passive
08-03-2010, 02:13 AM
Something like fortexorcist to track your cooldowns and the duration of debuffs on the boss, so you never let thunderclap or demo shout run out. Quartz, because having a big enemy cast bar as a prot warrior is vital. Power Auras because you should have this for every character! Grid or some other raid frame so you can see if anyone has agro who shouldn't have agro. Tidy Plates - Threat Plates, so you can see which mobs you lose agro on without having to tab through for ages finding which one someone ripped, although I'd advise changing the scale of all threat levels to no larger than 65% or so. Omen to track threat, most importantly on bosses so you can ask warlock to soul shatter or paladins to use Hand of Salvation on someone. OptiTaunt is really nice because it announces when you use cooldowns and also announces if your taunts fail to land. Shadowed Unit Frames so you can track your own health easier for better use of cooldowns. Bartender or Dominos to free up some space to see whats going on better, and to easily bind all your abilities (of which Prot warrior have loads!).

There is no such thing as a list of tanking addons, I use all these addons (except maybe OptiTaunt) on all my characters. Even if you're not raid leading I would still recommend getting ora2 for functions such as raid cooldown tracking and tank lists.

Dannyl
08-03-2010, 02:57 AM
Just to put this out there, for lighter options to ForteXorcist and Quartz, I personally use the AzCastBar addon. It actually gives me the best of both those addons in a tighter package. The two first addons are great, but I found there was just too much going on in them, too many features, and the memory consumption follows the suit.

Khilbron
08-03-2010, 07:37 AM
Just to put this out there, for lighter options to ForteXorcist and Quartz, I personally use the AzCastBar addon. It actually gives me the best of both those addons in a tighter package. The two first addons are great, but I found there was just too much going on in them, too many features, and the memory consumption follows the suit.

The only drawback to AzCastBar, is it cannot identify if a spell is interruptable or not, and it doesn't allow you to filter your buffs. As a tank, i prefer(kind of elaborating on Passive's post, but in a slightly easier to read format):

Satrina Buff Frames: Amazing addon for monitoring buffs, debuffs, proc's, ect.. highly configurable
Quartz: Probably the best cast bar addon out there, and the most highly used, allows you to configure it to identify spells with the new non-interruptable flag.
Power Auras: Probably the best at a glance buff/debuff/proc monitor, very very customizable, you can set your own icon, or use the game icon, and add personalized audio notifications.
Optitaunt: Cooldown usage announcer, it also has ALOT of other abilities that it announces, but they are pretty much worthless so I have them disabled.
Vigilant: Vigilance tracker, I tried Yatba but I just could not get it to display my vigilance.
Tidy Plates: Neon: Very visible nameplate that makes identifying what is attacking you and what isn't extremely easy.
BigBrother: Great addon for knowing who breaks what CC, where the misdirects and tricks are going.
Omen: Threat meter
CooldownCount: places cooldown timers onto your actual buttons(very similar to OmniCC)
MTLove: Great for multi-tank trash pulls, places a tooltip under your cursor when mousing over a target, that tells you which player that npc is currently targeting without having to target it. Very useful if you use mouseover taunt macros.

MellvarTank
08-03-2010, 08:14 AM
For my list directly related to tanking:

Omen
DBM
Grid
Clique
Tidyplates: Clean Plates
Icehud
Pitbull
Satrina's Buff Frames
Mik's Scrolling Battle Text
Snowfall Key Press
Bartender4

I think that's it for directly tanking addons. I use a bunch more that I would say aren't as "tanking" related.

Dannyl
08-03-2010, 03:27 PM
The only drawback to AzCastBar, is it cannot identify if a spell is interruptable or not, and it doesn't allow you to filter your buffs.
Aye, this is true but I have no found it a big set back. Most spells are interruptible and those that aren't, I quickly learn when I fail to interrupt. Especially on my DK, I have talented to make my interrupt a free cast, so a quick interrupt is not a big deal. For buffs, I do not even use this addon. I have Satrina's Buff Frames which, as you said, suits the need better. I do however use AzCastBar to show my target's buffs, which is really useful.

The only feature I wish AzCastBar had, was show debuffs cast by others. As it stands, when I am tanking adds on the LK, it will not show how many stacks of necrotic plague the shambling horror has, unless it got the plague directly from me.

vizionblind
08-03-2010, 07:34 PM
awesome stuff!