PDA

View Full Version : Free MMO's

Krays
07-30-2010, 12:17 PM
Seems every week theres a new MMO, that claims to be free to play and the next best thing since sliced bread. Im just curious how many of you WOW players actually go the trouble of downloading and trying out these games? theres like 100s of them, the only one i tried was 4story, it wasnt all that great, it was like a fake version of WOW, a bit like going to china and buying designer gear that falls apart when you get home causes its fake .

Well im gonna try one more , a game called Rappelz, it has good reviews, its taking an age to download, so haven't tried yet (kinda why i made this post lol, to pass time while it downloads).

So whats everyone's else experience with free MMO's (well free to play, they usually charge for gear at max level)? Do you enjoy them? have you got a Free MMO that you heartily recommend?

Shieldie
07-30-2010, 12:27 PM
ive heard good things about rappelz, my ex used to play it, and its made by Gpotato, the company that made the game i used to play before wow, flyff, i doubt its as good as wow but it may be fun for abit

KuroiMitsukai
08-03-2010, 12:37 PM
For the most part all the newer ones coming out are just trying to be WoW wannabes. They only other thing I play for free is a free server of Aion just because I'm don't feel like playing it. When I was in middle school and early high school I used to play the original ragnarok via free server it was decent at the time. Pretty much the top contenders I'd say for fantasy MMORP World of Warcraft and I'd have to go with Aion. If you really wanna try something and can deal with Dungeons and Dragons they dropped the price tag on their game as well.

Perphecshun
08-08-2010, 04:39 PM
I have heard from players that Aion sucks, you can only fly for a minute, then have to recharge for a minute, you cannot fly long distances with this. Ive heard its too linear, no exploration, too many bots, overall gameplay is shallow.

As for other games, I used to play gunz online for about 3 years before I quit due to hackers overpopulating it, I still play it from time to time though. Ive tried other games like 9dragons, rs, e4online, final fantasy online and the lot. None of them compare to wow.

kasanagi
08-11-2010, 04:36 PM
ive heard good things about rappelz, my ex used to play it, and its made by Gpotato, the company that made the game i used to play before wow, flyff, i doubt its as good as wow but it may be fun for abit

I used to played this to level 89~ ish; like every other free MMO (or every other MMO that came out of Korea/Japan/China/Taiwan), It is a HUGE grind fest. It is pretty, and pvp is not too bad. Can't really compare with WoW when it comes to game mechanics and content design though.

Aion is terrible in that, even before an expansion, classes are already bloated with skills and abilities, most of which does more or less the same thing, and the only reason you are pressing those buttons is because another button is on CD. There are cool downs, CCs and chains you have to line up and manage, but the difference between a good player and a bad one is mostly the gears, which comes mostly from grinding. The flying is not special, and flight combat is pure pain. But gliding is awesome.

Guild Wars 2 would be the one to look out for IMO (It is kinda free :P), only upcoming MMO I found where they promote the game with dev talks and class design/game mechanic articles, instead of the usual "We are making a GPU demanding world for you to explore" like every other MMO.

Perphecshun
08-13-2010, 11:34 AM
Aion is terrible in that, even before an expansion, classes are already bloated with skills and abilities, most of which does more or less the same thing, and the only reason you are pressing those buttons is because another button is on CD. There are cool downs, CCs and chains you have to line up and manage, but the difference between a good player and a bad one is mostly the gears, which comes mostly from grinding. The flying is not special, and flight combat is pure pain. But gliding is awesome.

Well you have to think about it just came out, and its not even in the first year of it being out, so they might make it better over the years, wow was pretty bad til tbc came out, and it got better from there.

Notaclue
08-14-2010, 03:11 AM
I tried DDO (Dungeons and Dragons Online) it was alright for a free game, but pales in comparison to WoW, was not crazy about the quests as each quest just sent you to an instance. Plus I never played regular D&D so i wasnt up on the whole 2d+4 damage or whatever so it was a little confusing for me. I would like to know of any that are worth the time though!!

Perphecshun
08-14-2010, 10:09 AM
I played gunz online for a while, but theres a bunch of hackers in it, but if you like fast paced action, where there are different styles with the same weapons that you can use to your advantage in different zones, I would recommend this one.

Akeo
08-14-2010, 03:38 PM
I've tried a lot of free MMOs but they are all extremely limited if there is also a paid subscription involved. I also didn't think Aion was that bad. I mean I still play it from time to time haha

Valandris
08-17-2010, 12:50 PM
I tried Runes of Magic, but there were some mechanics similarities to WoW, and although RoM does have dual classes(you can be two classes at the same time on a toon, with certain restrictions), idc much for FFA PvP, and well PvE development seemed similar to WoW. Furthermore, you're treated at the start with xp bonuses and other things, and then once you lose those, you'll be tempted to buy from an itemshop with "diamonds" an in-game currency obtainable only via purchase using real money. It felt almost like the same thing except you could hide all your armor and keep the stats bonus (half naked elves shooting fireballs became commonplace) and the RoM GMs were merely messenger boys. They never knew how to help you, they never knew a thing about upcoming content, and they often were very apathetic to your concerns. They actually make WoW GMs look like customer service at a 5 star hotel on the beach.

Honestly the reason WoW receives criticism is because of game experience once you hit 80. I got 3 80s, and I'm leveling a mage. I've had more fun leveling a mage than I've had in a while with my 80s. The problem at level 80 is with the players. Now I won't go into further detail as that would require a separate thread. All in all while you're leveling, it feels like you're playing an entirely different MMO from WoW. Then when you hit 80 with a toon, you're like, "Oh, right. This again."

kasanagi
08-17-2010, 09:26 PM
Well you have to think about it just came out, and its not even in the first year of it being out, so they might make it better over the years, wow was pretty bad til tbc came out, and it got better from there.

That is true, Aion is so much more polished than most MMO on their first releases, even some of the console game releases (software with no patches. ewww) can't compare. The trouble is how dull the fighting system is, and with the the emphasis on massive PvPvE (and ganking), there really isn't any room for smart game play and tactics. Fights are all about how much people on your side, how much damage (which = gears = grinding = time) you can dump out, how many potions you've got and how lucky you are with RNG.

I too would like to find a few free MMOs worth playing now and then.

Kazeyonoma
08-18-2010, 11:37 AM
been playing Heroes of Might and Magic Kingdoms, that just launched with a bunch of the Ikariam guys. so far so good.

Bowen
08-23-2010, 03:17 AM
Runescape was my first, was a paying member of that for around two years and I found it very enjoyable for what it is, huge world, lots of skills and items. You make the bow strings, chop the wood, carve the wood, put the bow together ect. Very time consuming though because the skills require huge experience point gains at the 80 + level range talking like hundreds of thousands of expierence points per level when one item made maybe gives a hundred experience.

Banterloft
08-24-2010, 10:48 AM
Yes, I have cheated... I have stepped out with Eve, Startrek online, Warhammer, Aion... The list goes on. The real issue here is that there is no other that can compare to WOW. Think of yourself as Tiger Woods. Yeah, its fun to step out and play strange things in strange places but the real hottie is still at home and you will never do better.

I take that back, when Bliz turns these servers off for... Um... IDK... The World of Starcraft? Thats when we will find better. Yeah, it sucks, its late expansion and WOTLK wasn't as good as the last expansion. Lets hope they fix that in Cata and we will all, ONCE AGAIN, crowd EB and Walmart at midnight, fly home, install, log into lagging servers, call in sick to work the next day, and marvel in what made us fall in love in the first place. This is the best MMO created to this point and will be for a while to come.

Helgi
08-24-2010, 12:54 PM
Think of yourself as Tiger Woods. Yeah, its fun to step out and play strange things in strange places but the real hottie is still at home and you will never do better.
YES!! That is amazing. Your good sir just made my morning.

And Blizzards next MMO is supposedly a new franchise, not Starcraft, Warcraft, or Diablo related. Should be interesting to see what they can come up with.

Banterloft
08-24-2010, 06:35 PM
Yeah right. I can see myself in a Blizzard style UI roaming around a massive universe fireballing things down with my ion cannon. 40 PVP bunker battles?!!! 25man urban style combat raiding?!!! My god they would be idiots not to exploit this.