PDA

View Full Version : Tanking Character Decisions

Xeryas
07-28-2010, 08:16 PM
I have two questions regarding future characters

1. I want to make a tank, which tanking class provides the most challenge and variety of the 4?

2. I would also like to make a healer horde side which healer offers the most fun to the healer?

I know these questions are on opinions just would like some thoughts to bounce around in my head.

Dannyl
07-29-2010, 12:29 AM
Well I only have experience with two tanking classes, DK and warrior which I am current actively playing both. It is hard to say which is the bigger challenge, a lot of people would say the warrior but I respectfully disagree. For variety though, think the warrior beats the DK, as it has a lot more buttons to push and almost never do I feel, when tanking on my warrior that I don't have anything to do. For me, this is also the defining pleasure why I like the class, variety; demo-, battle-, commanding shouts, three different charges, proper use of heroic strike & cleave, and general way that threat rotations work.

Although I don't put a lot of stock on the fact, but warrior tank also brings to the table, the valuable sunder armor debuff. Any DPS that I ask, did it make a difference and they say, heck yeah.

The few things that the DK beats the warrior in though, atm, is with CDs and AoE threat. Shield Wall is awesome but personally feel it's gimped with a default 5 minute CD, which we need to talent and glyph to bring down to a level where it's of some use. Also, DKs have antimagic shield, which is irreplaceable on fights like Sindragosa. Neither of these ofc are obstacles that you cannot overcome, but just where the DK is stronger.

For the healer class, I only have the one, disc priest but I enjoy playing it. The class itself has a lot of different heals, which makes it interesting to play; flash heal, binding heal, renew, PW:S, Penance, PoM, etc. and the best part is that I commonly use them all, on both raids and heroic dungeons.

But maybe someone with more experience across the board can tell more about healer classes.

Tschus
07-29-2010, 01:29 AM
I have a bear, a dk and a warrior tank. Warrior without a doubt has the most variety and most fun among all. DK is the most challenging to play, because of the rune/runic power system.

For healer part, I think holy priests should be fun. They have a lot of skills to play with, but this also makes them the hardest healer to master. Well it depends on how do you considered "fun". :p I like druids, bouncing around while healing is awesome.

Fledern
07-29-2010, 01:54 AM
I play a warrior, a dk and a pally tank. I'd say the most challanging is the warrior. Very close would be the DK. DK is easier to play, can do some stuff much better than the warrior and in general it feels like Blizzard took warrior and smoothed out the edges.

But if i had to choose between warrior & dk i'd still choose warrior.

kungfugrip
07-29-2010, 02:11 AM
IMO in order of more tanking choices/skill required it's this:

Warrior
Druid
DK
Pally

from most skill/paying attention required (warrior) to easiest (pally). That's just my opinion. I've tanked on all the classes. Right now I'm tanking with a Druid because it's more effort than a DK or Pally but not as much to worry about as a Warrior (but having those extra moves as a warrior comes in handy often). Plus I like Swift Flight Form hax and not having to worry about Def rating or all the competition for Plate with all the DK's all over the place =P

Hoogle
07-29-2010, 02:13 AM
warrior definately has the most tanking buttons making giving you more attack variety (but it is the most unforgiving tanking class if you mess up)

All healing classes are fun. With healing its not so much 'which has the most fun' its more about how you like to heal. pala's have great stuff like beacon, shammies have great raid chain healing and healing waves, druids have to keep stacks up to get the most out of healing, disc priests shield and mitigate most damage occuring whilst holy throw out a ton of raid healing.

From my experience i think the healing classes are far more varied than the tanking classes (which are becoming more and more homogenized as we get closer to cata). I have a priest which was fun, healed with my druid which was fun and have a little shammy healer which is fun :D

What ever you choose, i wish you luck and you'll probably love em all :)

Harmacy
07-29-2010, 06:43 AM
Well if you want to level a tank and a healer, roll a Druid or Pally and dual-spec it.

Warriors and DK's are fun but they can't heal for crap!

Tonk
07-29-2010, 11:16 AM
I have to agree with Harmacy on this one. While I love my warrior, if your goal is to have a tank and healer, then Pally and druid are good choices as you will be able to more easily gear your off-spec in higher content once you get there. Druid will be the easiest to gear up of the two (less competition from other classes). The other added benefit is instead of jumping back and forth between two classes, you will truly master one and have the flexibility to switch between specs, gaining you easier access to raids.

Xeryas
07-29-2010, 11:31 AM
I have to agree with Harmacy on this one. While I love my warrior, if your goal is to have a tank and healer, then Pally and druid are good choices as you will be able to more easily gear your off-spec in higher content once you get there. Druid will be the easiest to gear up of the two (less competition from other classes). The other added benefit is instead of jumping back and forth between two classes, you will truly master one and have the flexibility to switch between specs, gaining you easier access to raids.

Thank you I was looking to make two separate characters a tank and a healer. It is pretty much unanimous between all of u guys that a warrior tank and holy priest fit what I want. Thanks

Xeryas
07-29-2010, 11:35 AM
My goal is to have a dps toon, heals toon, and a tank toon, thanks for making the decision on the tank and heals toons easier I look foward to playing a warrior and a priest