PDA

View Full Version : Paladin I'm so sick of being hacked.

Raegin
07-27-2010, 01:15 AM
So about 5 days ago me and another guild mate were hacked on the same day. I feel we are both smart enough to not go onto keylogging sites so i don't feel that was the problem. I change my password and copy and paste it in when i enter it, but they still figure it out everytime, I run a scan to remove anything harmful that might be on my computer, and I even put parental controls on myself to stop them, they even get around they some how and change them, not sure how seeing as the only link to it is through a URL blizzard sent me in an e-mail.

I ordered an authenticator and its on its way, but what can I do to stop these hacks? And how do I fix it if the hackers put an authenticator on my account first.

Lumines
07-27-2010, 01:30 AM
Reformat your hard drive, reinstall your operating system from scratch. If this has happened more than once, you probably haven't gotten rid of whatever was causing the problem in the first place.

Martie
07-27-2010, 01:33 AM
How secure is your email account? If they can get to that, they can get to your wow account.

Once you get that authenticator, I would do a clean sweep of your computer. That means making a list of everything you need, formatting your drive and reinstalling everything. Re-download as much as you can, the idea is to have as few remnants of your old file system remaining as possible.

kungfugrip
07-27-2010, 01:34 AM
Also stop buying gold or powerleveling services =P

The authenticator is the best bet. If you have an iphone you can get a free one instantly without waiting, search the apps.

Raegin
07-27-2010, 01:38 AM
I had a feeling they are in my yahoo email, seeing as more then 1 person can be on it in different places. Don't know how much help changing my e-mail password will be.

kungfugrip
07-27-2010, 01:45 AM
I had a feeling they are in my yahoo email, seeing as more then 1 person can be on it in different places. Don't know how much help changing my e-mail password will be.
Make yourself another email through gmail (www.gmail.com (http://www.gmail.com)) and don't use it for anything but your wow account. Then go to www.worldofwarcraft.com/account (http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/account) and log in and change your email associated with the account to the gmail one. Keep using your yahoo as your personal email. Gmail is good too because they don't disable your mailbox after not logging in for a while, like yahoo does. So you can just make it, then never check it until you go to log in to WoW one day and your account is locked or something. Then you can go to the gmail and see what blizzard wrote you as to the reason and not have to worry about your mailbox not existing anymore.

Raegin
07-27-2010, 02:04 AM
Doesn't seem like I can log in, requesting an Authenticator Code

kungfugrip
07-27-2010, 02:29 AM
Might wanna call blizzard on this one. Maybe whoever is "hacking" you decided to put their OWN authenticator on the account so you couldn't get back into it.

Raegin
07-27-2010, 02:35 AM
Don't think the blizzard lines are open until 8, and doesn't seem like I can go to sleep without waking up tomorrow to find all of my stuff missing again. Already went through 4 raidless days.

Dreadski
07-27-2010, 05:24 AM
It's going to be many more days until you can raid. Take the advice and format your hard drive, change your account email as well and use a different password than your account for wow uses. Once blizz takes the enemy authenticator off, put yours on it ASAP.

Kiranii
07-28-2010, 08:10 AM
Use AVG Anti-Virus. It's free, and one of the anti-virus software programs that Blizz recommends. Also be VERY careful entering your log-in info. There are a lot of hack sites that mirror the log in page, then redirect you. They even manage to utilize Google to get their site higher on the search lists.

The Authenticator will be your best friend in this, and always triple-check the URL of any warcraft site that requires a log-in.
Also, NEVER use the same email/password that you use for the battle.net for any warcraft service sites, forums, blogs, etc.

Dannyl
07-28-2010, 09:04 AM
The annoying fact about bugwares is that no matter how hard you try, you might not be able to get rid of them all. Some viruses install other viruses, or reinstall them or hinder the functioning of anti-virus programs. So even if you think your computer is clear, it still might not be. Aside from taking the computer to professionals to clear out, you may have to reinstall everything in order to get rid of all the crapware.

Have you checked your firewall security? Some bugs open ports or render firewalls otherwise useless, even after the bug itself has been removed.

I don't use the authenticator myself, but like someone said, it's a good choice. For all my passwords, I use a free program called Keypass, which guarantees all my passwords are very strong and copy&pasting is as safe as it can be, as it removes the password from the clipboard after 10-12 seconds. Keypass also has a master password, which it asks everytime you start it or lock it down and the files themselves are encrypted. The master password is the only one I need to remember.

Some other tips, keep to official and safe sites and keep them in bookmarks. Don't type them in, cause there are probably loads of fake battle.net variations out there (just for one example, like batte.net). Don't visit strange sites from people you don't trust.

Dreadski
07-28-2010, 09:22 AM
Use AVG Anti-Virus. It's free, and one of the anti-virus software programs that Blizz recommends. Also be VERY careful entering your log-in info. There are a lot of hack sites that mirror the log in page, then redirect you. They even manage to utilize Google to get their site higher on the search lists.

The Authenticator will be your best friend in this, and always triple-check the URL of any warcraft site that requires a log-in.
Also, NEVER use the same email/password that you use for the battle.net for any warcraft service sites, forums, blogs, etc.

AVG is garbage and you get exactly what you pay for. What you should do is invest in a full protection system like norton or system suite the covers all the bases. In addition to that a spyware sweeper as well. The best thing to do first is format though.

Wilhem
07-28-2010, 12:24 PM
Norton is an absolute system hog and complete crap as well... I haven't used anything in 4 years and never had any problems.

If you're having problems though, do as others suggest and make a list of what you will need to reinstall and format your computer.

Therah
07-28-2010, 06:05 PM
I got hacked..... all i did was change my email and password..... don't have a authenticator yet... havent gotten hacked and it's been about 5 or 6 months now

if i where you change your email and password and go from there

pvn23
07-29-2010, 01:21 AM
Well I've read a few posts on here and definitely, scanning, adding parental controls, doing those helps to an extent. However, you're going to need to reformat your hard-drive and install a fresh operating system. There are times where this programs such as Malwarebytes or ESET NOD32 will not detect spywares that get into your system.

So the safest thing to do is to either go reformat your hard-drive or buy a new one. New ones are pretty cheap nowadays so I don't think that'll be a problem if you have the money for it.

kungfugrip
07-29-2010, 03:14 AM
Norton AntiVirus blows and so does McAffee and they both completely lock down your system in a ridiculous fashion (ie, "WARNING: ABOUT TO OPEN THE PROGRAM YOU JUST RIGHT CLICKED ON AND CHOSE "OPEN." ARE YOU SURE YOU WANT TO OPEN THE PROGRAM THAT YOU TOLD TO RUN, AND THAT YOU'VE ALSO ALREADY CONFIRMED THREE TIMES PRIOR THAT YOU INDEED WANT TO RUN?") and inhale all your resources... I'm an IT (computer helpdesk guy) and also a Security+ associate and I recommend avast! free antivirus.

Dannyl
07-29-2010, 05:33 AM
Someone I know also spoke highly for the Kaspersky security suite. Haven't used it myself but it's supposedly very light and catches a lot bugs that many other programs don't.

Grannos
07-29-2010, 12:49 PM
I skimmed through this thread, so if it was mentioned already, sorry for saying it again. You need to check your addons folder. A good portion of the hackers are getting your info through a small addon that is add in with your others. Delete any folder that appears to not be part of your other addons. Even if your not sure, just delete it. Its not like you cannot fix the addons if you delete a few wrong folders. If its an addon, No keylogger or ani-virus program will detect it, so dont trust them as being 100%.

Like it was said, your best bet is to re-format your drive. Also, not saying that you have, but if you have....do not play on the private servers. They do all kinds of different things to your wow files, and that is another good way for hackers to get your info.

Quinafoi
07-29-2010, 01:03 PM
I change my password and copy and paste it in when i enter it.

This is a very bad idea in general. It is actually significantly easier to write an application to copy information out of a clipboard than it is to create a keylogger. In fact you can do it with client side scripting on a web page and you can end up sending sensitive information without realizing it. Never copy a password to the clipboard, this is a very unsecure method.

AVG is garbage and you get exactly what you pay for. What you should do is invest in a full protection system like norton or system suite the covers all the bases. In addition to that a spyware sweeper as well. The best thing to do first is format though.

AVG is recommended by Blizzard because it is free. This is like saying 10 out of 10 dentists recommend you brush your teeth. Having an anti-virus application is important enough that you should do it. Now whether you use Colgate or Crest or whatever when you brush your teeth, it's still important that you brush your teeth. Blizzard recommends AVG because the people who aren't running anti-virus are typically those who simply don't spend the money for it, so they recommend a free option. This has little to do with the actual product. Billzard isn't endorsing Crest, they are endorsing brushing your teeth period. Blizzard recommends that if you don't have anti-virus, you get one.

latormenta
07-29-2010, 07:12 PM
Hello, I was told after being hacked that when you load add-ons you need to load them manualy, also when using antivirus and spyware scanners what ever you use that you need to open wow to your log in page then minimize so that the wow program is running and then run your scans, because many of the hackers have viruses that only run while wow is operating, so there is a greater chance to catch the hacker viruses running while the wow program is running. If anyone can confirm this i would be greatly appreciative,

Arikak
07-29-2010, 07:36 PM
Is there a question in there or just a statement?

The line about having the login screen up while running a virus scanner is accurate as some malicious programs will only make themselves known when WoW is running.

Raegin
08-02-2010, 02:02 AM
what should I do if it seems i cant get rid of w/e they put on my computer?

Dreadski
08-02-2010, 03:49 AM
format

Bearrorist
08-02-2010, 06:42 PM
Norton was good, back when it was the only antivirus. And in terms of investing in a "whole security" system, those packages will give a typical consumer more problems than it's worth. IE: blocking ports, scans, and not to mention how much slower your computer could be.