PDA

View Full Version : Tanking DK Tanking Help

Sean
07-24-2010, 04:34 PM
Hey guys!

I've been testing different classes in wow before Cata comes out i've been falling in love with tanking i've already done a warrior a pally and a Druid. But now i'm on the DK and i'm a bit curious on how i should go about DK unlike the others they have basically two tanking specs (Blood and Frost)

and i'm not sure what the best gylphs to choose for this class is...i need some advise here's a link to my dk below

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Thorium+Brotherhood&cn=Aiki

Sean
07-25-2010, 11:59 AM
Made my first attempt at DK tanking last night i decided to try blood spec out first. i had a level 80 mage in the group so it was a bit hard for a 72 to keep aggro off him.
But here's an in game clip of me on the Ingar in UK I'm sorry for the sounds i'm still trying to figure out how to just record in game sounds in fraps and not the sounds coming out of my headphones laying on the desk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8P91ND8WkRI

Creelos
07-25-2010, 12:49 PM
Comprehensive Guide to Death Knight Tanking (http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.php?59900-Comprehensive-Guide-to-Death-Knight-Tanking)

If you want to know about death knight tanking that guide is exceptional.

Making the movie was above and beyond but it makes it easy to see the immediate changes you can make to improve as a tank.

1. Conventional wisdom states that keybinds are for abilities, the mouse is for turning, and changing the camera angle as needed while tanking. At the end of the day it is a matter of play style but a long time ago in a place called Tempest Keep, with a nasty fellow named Lord Sanguinar, that conventional wisdom became gospel for me. Also a long running joke in my guild about the creeboard and how best to use it to turn.

2. Use your taunt when you lose agro not when you already have it. Taunt is for when you lose agro or must make a tank swap it has no place in your rotation.

3. Abuse Icy Touch which currently has a huge threat component also slowing the attack speed of your target.

4. Whenever rune strike becomes available que it up.

5. Bloodboil's most effective use is on ae pulls not single target tanking.

6. Death Strike and Heart Strike should be in your rotation not Obliterate.

I tank primarily on my warrior and do not claim to be an expert on death knights.

Dannyl
07-26-2010, 09:14 AM
Can't really think of a lot to add here. Creelos summed it pretty much. One thing worth noting is that while things might not really change for warriors much, DKs will probably feel a significant change in how the class plays in Cataclysm, for the simple fact that they are revamping the rune system. So whatever you're experiencing now isn't really going to be very valid for much longer.

Disease
10-01-2010, 06:58 PM
an easy thing to do (for me anyway, it makes holding multiple mobs easier) is stick with
Dnd>Icy Touch>Plague Strike>Pestilence>Spam heartstrike and/or Rune Strike.
Repeat as needed.

I am one of those people who tries to bring a decent name to DK tanks, and it seems to be working. A lot of people on my server have slacked up on dk tanks after runnin a couple randoms with me.

Don't forget that y.u get 2 Taunts, Dark Command (in blood) and Death Grip. Not sure atm if my spec reduces the cooldown on Dark Command, but its only 6seconds for me. That makes things ezmode if I get a little sloppy with a pull.

Arencey
10-03-2010, 06:58 PM
I suggest macroing rune strike to your icy touch and plague strike, it takes alot of guess work out. As for specs it really depends on what you want to do, as you probably know blood is going to be the only tank spec in cata but right now frost has better aoe threat and less survivability, if you're going to be the off tank/trash tank at 80 I suggest this spec but if you're going to be the guy who primarily goes toe to toe with the raid bosses then I suggest blood, just make sure you spec right I can't tell you how many blood tanks I see without rune tap and other key self healing talents, the spec is made for main tanking trying to turn it into some iffy aoe tanking spec isn't a good idea.

As for blood tanking you should use this priority system for single target. Diseases>death strike>blood strike>. The only exception is this simple formula, Do both diseases have greater than 3 seconds left before they fall off? if yes continue with the priority, if no use obliterate. Simply put you want to use OB to consume the diseases and hit the boss hard just before your diseases fall off.

Disease
10-05-2010, 10:20 AM
Kinda on the topic of macroing, im not sure if it was commented about earlier in the post, but i have 2 macroes that I use non-stop.
First one is icy touch>Plague Strike> Pestilence, and the second one is Rune Strike>Heart Strike> rune Strike.....With an opening Death and Decay, and occasional Death Strikes, aggro shouldn't be a problem.

Theotherone
10-05-2010, 10:40 AM
This may be a dumb question, but isn't Rune Strike going on the GCD? After the patch will it make sense to macro it? I'm really not up on macros, but I thought if you have, for example:

/cast Icy Touch
/cast Rune Strike

and both are on the GCD it will take 2 key presses or button clicks to do both abilitites. Where if the second ability is not on the GCD it will go off automatically in squence. Or do I have this all confused?

gd_void
10-05-2010, 11:30 AM
Yea rune strike will go on the GCD come 4.0, sad day for all use lazy dk tanks. But i thought for you to have two abilities on one buttion you needed a Cast Sequence macro?

As for What Disease said, Not sure how that would work, I'm sure your losing tps somewhere just hitting two buttons...

Theotherone
10-05-2010, 11:53 AM
Yea rune strike will go on the GCD come 4.0, sad day for all use lazy dk tanks. But i thought for you to have two abilities on one buttion you needed a Cast Sequence macro?

No idea, but it'd be nice if one of the community with more macro knowledge could chime in and let us know.

Phanuel
10-05-2010, 03:37 PM
I think you can cast sequence it with the latest change to RS being avoidance requirement-less in Blood presence.

But honestly, it's probably better to have it as a separate bind now with a [mod:alt/shift/ctrl] /cast deathcoil to consolidate rune dumps.