PDA

View Full Version : Tanking Headed in the right direction?

Hugsnotdrugs
07-22-2010, 02:15 PM
Hey all,

Been a user of the site for a long long time, just now getting registered. I've recently leveled a Pally to 80 and decided to mess around with prot. Originally I was just going to use him for some easy instant heroic Queue's and wasn't really interested in gearing her out severely. However...just like other classes many want more and now I find myself wanting to step into ICC 10's possibly 25 mans.
I am no stranger to ICC I have cleared both 10 and 25 fully on DPS characters melee and a caster. As for the meat wall thing, I'm pretty fresh lol. I've done my research on many of the basics and picked up some decent tank gear for doing probably up to frost wing? My real question is where should I go next as far as Tier 10 pieces, offset badge pieces? I believe my gemming/chanting is decent for the most part. I've hunted around on EJ's and here for most of the info. I'm just in the dark as to what would be the largest upgrades for me from specific bosses/badges ect...ect....

Any help/criticism is welcome

Thanks for your time guys

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Executus&cn=Hugsnotdrugs

Dekar
07-22-2010, 02:58 PM
I'll start with the gemming. It looks good for the most part, although that 10dodge/15stam in your bracers is kind of useless because you're not picking up the socket bonus. Which leads me to my next point...unless I'm overlooking something, I don't think your meta is activated. You need 2 blue and 1 red to activate it and the only red gem I see is the one in your bracers, but it's in a yellow slot. Look at your helm ingame and if the meta gem is grayed out, you're losing out on the meta gem. Find a red slot that fits somewhere that gives the best +stam bonus and plug in an expertise/stam, agil/stam or dodge/stam. I'm not a huge pally expert but I'm guessing agil/stam would be pretty good for pallys.

Your enchants need some changing.
- Get rid of the 20 defense on your shield, you're 14 over the defense cap so you don't need it, replace with +18 stam.
- Replace the armsman enchant on your gloves with either +18 stam or +240 armor (both from leatherworking armor kits).
- Replace the dodge/def shoulder enchant with the 30stam/resil pvp enchant (10k honor at the Org honor vendors).
- Change the +22 agil on your cloak to +225 armor
- Change the +10 stats on your chest to +275 health
- Your weapon has no enchant, so throw something on it. I know it's just a 232 weapon so you might not want to waste the mats for blood
draining but mongoose is cheap and so is accuracy. Once you get an upgrade of 251+ though I'd throw a blood draining on it. And try to get Rimefang's Claw from H Pit of Saron, it's better than the one you have.

I see you already bought the frost badge trinket so that's too late to correct but it's still a good trinket nonetheless. But the frost badge belt and cloak are both BiS until level 85 basically so those normally should be your first 2 frost badge purchases, followed by the gloves and chest from frost badges and the trinket is usually saved until last but since you already have the trinket, just go belt, cloak, gloves, chest.

Spec looks perfect and glyphs too. HotR glyph is just a personal preference really, there's others you could sub in but nothing that's going to be game breaking if you don't use them.

bluntobject
07-22-2010, 03:09 PM
I'm confused how is the meta not active?

1 red gem in bracers + 2 blue gems in chest = Active Meta

Dekar
07-22-2010, 03:38 PM
I'm confused how is the meta not active?

1 red gem in bracers + 2 blue gems in chest = Active Meta

The bracer gem slot is yellow, not red. Therefore it's not counting as a red slot.

Hugsnotdrugs
07-22-2010, 03:39 PM
Yea the bracers gem needs to go, I wanted something quick to get it active w/o regemming EVERYTHING. After researching a little more the trinket was a waste >.< especially since i had black heart, organ, and rotting thumb already. I believe i have the claw in my bank and I'll swap that out and slam it with a goose. Belt will be next, then cloak for me. Exactly what I needed guys thanks for the help!

bluntobject
07-22-2010, 04:36 PM
Your meta is active, you don't need to match socket bonuses to active the meta just have gems of the proper color.

http://www.wowwiki.com/Meta_gems

You might also look into getting the pvp (+30 stam +15 res enchant) for your shoulders, it only costs 10k honor and is better effective health.

Dekar
07-22-2010, 10:48 PM
Your meta is active, you don't need to match socket bonuses to active the meta just have gems of the proper color.

http://www.wowwiki.com/Meta_gems

You might also look into getting the pvp (+30 stam +15 res enchant) for your shoulders, it only costs 10k honor and is better effective health.

Could have sworn that it had the match the socket but I also have always matched a red in a socket to get a +stam bonus on my tanks and have always used a nightmares tear on my dps toons so never really thought too much about it.

Hugsnotdrugs
07-23-2010, 09:01 AM
Did a 10/12 quick alt ICC last night, No tank drops =( BUT I did snag the badge belt. HUGE upgrade. Work all day, then swapping enchants/gems once I get home today. Thanks again all for the quick replies. Once I get everything set I'll post up again =P

Thanks all