PDA

View Full Version : Tanking Back from a Break and my DK seems to be squishy? Halp?

Blutritter
07-21-2010, 10:59 PM
Hey all my name is Blutritter and i've come back to Tankspot for some help :)

My Armory :):http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Blackrock&cn=Blutritter

I currently started playing WoW again after a little break and come back to heroics hitting me pretty hard and a few whipes because of me in heroic ICC line dungeons; so what happened? Before I left I could almost pull 10 guys on me and no problem just keep the aggro and the healer had no trouble keeping me up and we never whiped :/ I come to you guys to ask if it is my gear, my spec, or my play (hopefully not that because that is the hardest to fix ;) lol ) but I just want to get an opinion from some of the better tanks in the game.

BTW I have never tanked a raid, and haven't even run through a raid in WOTLK yet so what should be my strategy there? No one on Blackrock does Naxx anymore, and the guild I just got in is running some ICC10 now so I'm wondering if I should be trying to just DPS in there with some second rate gear and pick up tank items along the way? Really any help is greatly appreciated and thank you to all!

Jamesondrinker
07-21-2010, 11:18 PM
well i definitely don't think it's your gear. Maybe you could post your rotation for single target/aoe rotation?
Also what exactly is the problem? are you just getting hit too hard? are you not holding aggro? because your gear is fine for the icc heroics, its not great, but you should be able to tank them without much trouble.

Dannyl
07-22-2010, 02:09 AM
I agree, your gear doesn't generally look that bad for heroic dungeons, though I would change your wrists to something more suitable for a tank. If you've been out of the game for a while, you might not be using your CDs as effective as you used to. I know that every time I'm on a break, it's a small reorientation period to catch my edge again, or similarly if I stop playing a certain class I need to remind myself a bit how to play it properly.

You said you had no problems holding aggro before. Are you having aggro issues now? If so, I would maybe change some a bit around your spec. It's not a bad spec, but I'd reglyph at least if threat is an issue. For now, my advice is try using your CDs optimally. Particularly in ICC, DKs are very strong. AMS is the CD I use constantly, whether I'm on a raid or doing a daily hc. IBF has a relatively short cooldown, so if you healers have problems holding you up, don't be shy about using it. Same with UA, though it won't help you against casters. Also, one thing I noticed in ICC dungeons is that tanks can help themselves a lot with stuns and by silencing casters. You have Strangulate and Mind Freeze, so make sure you have them on your action bars.

Remember, when you're in lower tier gear, you can't blitz through stuff like you could if you'd be overgeared. So be at least mindful of some tactics that are involved, like kiting Tyrannus in PoS hc, instead of taking the unholy power right in the face.

As for going DPS, I wouldn't recommend it. If tanking is where you're heart lies, than you're suppose to be a tank. I know a lot of people do it and then roll on tanking gear, but you have to remember that the tank in your group might need the item that dropped and it's a huge frustration for him, to put the effort to tank even in poor gear and then see it picked up by a DPS player, who basically just came in for the ride. So just stick with it. I know it can be a pain, but it pays off in the end and tanking in poor gear, imo is actually an educational process.

Blutritter
07-22-2010, 07:58 AM
Thank you all for the replies and I do want to say that aggro is not really the issue in dungeons. In some heroics and the ICC ones especially I see that when I pull the groups of 4-5 with 3 casters I seem to get hit down to half life in an instant and the healer is struggling to keep me up. Not sure if I got stuck with a healer with bad connection or whatever, because last night I did get into a random FoS group and we ranthrough with no problems :)

I do want to ask though, since I am going to tank raids that I'm maybe undergeared for which ones should I start in? Which ones need a second or off tank perhaps that would be a better role for me to jump in to because of my gear and lack of experience in the raids. And as I said my guild is running ICC10 normal I think would that be good for me to start with? Thanks again guys and happy tanking!

Shieldie
07-22-2010, 08:13 AM
Id say start out in toc, theres a few upgrades there for you, you probably can tank some of icc right now due to the % buff but the healers may have to struggle abit, ToC is more in your gear level, and very easy to tank, a good starting place. Id reccomend getting some frost badge gear / t10 from voa maybe, asap, you are gonna wanna get asmuch armor as possible, and change your gems for max stamina, the more stam and armor, the easier time healers will have keeping you up

Dekar
07-22-2010, 03:03 PM
In some heroics and the ICC ones especially I see that when I pull the groups of 4-5 with 3 casters I seem to get hit down to half life in an instant and the healer is struggling to keep me up.

Honestly, don't worry about that too much. That's just how those instances go. My warrior is just shy of 50k hp unbuffed and some of those trash packs in FoS and PoS still drop me low quickly if the healer isn't on the ball. (Especially the trash packs in PoS right after the second boss going up the ramp). Just try to use your AMS smartly against those packs in there with a lot of casters, and use your utilities to help out (strangulate, mind freeze, deathgrip, etc).

Blutritter
07-22-2010, 09:48 PM
Alright cool! Thanks again guys for the help here and now I guess I'll start watching some raid vids to get a feel for the boss fights :) and I did want to ask if someone could show me a pretty good rotation perhaps? I pretty much do this

Single targ: it, ss, ob, bs, bs, dump with fs, then pest, back into the rotation with a few obs and maybe a ds if I'm feeling helpful to the healer

Multiple: (1st option) dnd, howl, bb, extra blood rune thing lol, bb, then tab dump with fs, ss, pest, and then some tab obs and ds until dead

Or (2nd option) start with howl, ss, pest, bb, extra blood, bb, tab obs fs and ds until dead

I guess as I type this I think it sounds sloppy and I should probably tighten some stuff up but is it too far from the basic rotation?