PDA

View Full Version : Tanking Prot pally What can I tank??

dyjaack
07-21-2010, 06:29 PM
hey guys I got my paladin to 80 last year and quit playing for a while. Now that i'm playing again I really want to get geared and be able to tank. So what can I tank now and what should i do to get geared?
-Thanks guys!
heres my armory link http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Spinebreaker&cn=Dyjack

Metasynaptic
07-21-2010, 06:40 PM
You are not raid ready.

Tank random heroics for now. Work on getting lots of triumph badges and upgrading to tier 9 gear. great place to start.

dyjaack
07-21-2010, 06:45 PM
Can I tank all heroics?

Metasynaptic
07-21-2010, 06:46 PM
I wouldn't tank Trial of the Champion/Crusader or the ICC 5 mans until the great majority of your gear is AT LEAST purple 200s.

dyjaack
07-21-2010, 06:47 PM
Alright cool thanks. So all but those 3 right?

Metasynaptic
07-21-2010, 06:51 PM

Toc, FoS, PoS, HoR.

The difficulty of all the others is fairly similar, give or take.

dyjaack
07-21-2010, 06:53 PM
Alright cool. I might run normal randoms for triumphs to try to get a little more geared before heroics lol. Thanks man.

Metasynaptic
07-21-2010, 07:21 PM
Mmmmm... that'll be a fairly slow way of doing it. You only get 2 triumphs from the daily 'normal' and that's it. With heroics, you get 1 triumph/boss plus 2 for finishing the dungeon.

dyjaack
07-21-2010, 07:30 PM
i'm just scared i'll fail at tanking those lol.

pvn23
07-21-2010, 07:32 PM
First of all, you are very under-geared. I am not talking about gearscore but the gear itself.

1. The defense cap you will need to start tanking Heroic Dungeons are 535. For Raids, it's 540 but I would suggest you get the 540 defense cap because it is very easy to obtain. Check out this superb guide made by Ciderhelm. http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.php?41986-Cider-s-Easy-540-Defense-Gear-Guide

2. Quest, quest, quest. I know there are a handful of people out there who hates questing but that is your only choice of money. If you are a mining/skinning/herbing professionist, you can play with the Auction House and gain money from there as well.

As for now, just run the Normal LFG and get those Triumphs. Then once you get geared through Ciderhelm's guide, you can start tanking Heroics once you're at defense cap. I also suggest you to tank everything in Normal mode first before you head to Heroics. Pay attention to all the bosses, all the adds, what to do with each boss.

Also, replace all those PvP gear that you currently have and find gear with defense, parry, block, dodge.

uglybbtoo
07-21-2010, 07:46 PM
TBH you are going to struggle tanking most things ATM

1.) I Don't have a problem with the PVP peices if you were using resilence to get crit immune but it just looks like you threw random pieces together.

2.) You spec is horrible 0/53/18 or 0/54/17 cookie cutter spec is what you want to start with google paladin tank spec even search prot pally spec on tankspot here will give them.

3.) You have no chants at all and you gemming is just crazy .. gem stam except what you need to light up the meta. You at least need the head enchant from Argent crusade at very least. The meta should be http://www.wowhead.com/spell=55401

I suggest you start here it will explain everything
http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/guides/basic-training

Insahnity
07-21-2010, 08:28 PM
I'd agree with the general consensus. You might have the in game skills to move around, but you don't have a good understanding of what is important in terms of gearing and spec. The guide(s) listed above are a great start. You want to reach a point where you can say "This is what I need", rather than "Oh that looks good, I'll take that" where you currently are, or perhaps "I'm having this problem today, so I will fix it with this today" and make a zillion conflicting changes.

If you asked any senior tank on this forum to play your toon as is, they could probably do ToC normal in addition to the heroics you remember. I think you have done reg toc (I see at least 4 pieces from there, but not sure if you got them as ret or prot). ToC reg and heroic are great for gearing up, so keep farming them, especially trinkets.

Make sure you run at least the daily heroic everyday to get 2 frost badges. I would hold off on spending them until you can buy no more items from triumph badges. If you reach that stage, you are likely ToC10/ToC25/ICC10 ready anyways, but 2 badges a day means at least 2 months before you have an appreciable number of badges, enough to buy at least one or maybe 2 pieces of gear from the vendor. But if you collect now and every day, it will add up for the day you will be ready to spend them.

dyjaack
07-21-2010, 10:33 PM
Thanks guys. just replaced all my gems. And am at 516 def rating. I never tried to gear him so thats why he had random gear on him.

Metasynaptic
07-21-2010, 10:53 PM
You really need to get those trinkets replaced as a matter of priority.

'The Black Heart' can be farmed from regular mode ToC.

'Seal of the Pantheon' from Loken in regular mode Halls of Lightning.

Even the 'Regal Protectorate' from the group quest in Hellfire is better than those trinks you ahve.

Exiledknight
07-22-2010, 09:00 AM
You should be able to hit 540 by enchanting your shield, cloak and chest with the def enchants. Follow that up by getting the argent crusade helm enchant and the hodir shoulder enchant. If you do not have access to hodir or the crusade due to rep, then get the titansteel shield wall crafted and you will gtg. Farm reg toc and run H Azjol Nerub daily for the stam trinkets. The second you hit 540 defense start looking for a naxx or ulduar run, it may be tough but you should be able to find one, even if its a couple of bosses for the weekly(or even better take initiative and form a 10 man naxx group, you will find at least a handful of upgrades in there). After a few days of running heroics and farming the hell out of reg toc 5 man start looking to get into the new 5 man icc dungeons as they hold quite a few upgrades for you.

How is the gold flow? How much do you have and are willing to spend? I would look to get at least the Saronite Swordbreakers crafted(on my realm mats are prob hovering right around 1-1.3k) start saving for those, the breastplate of the white knight and eventually once you get some more gear the Pillars of Might. The titansteel helm would also be a nice upgrade for you as well.

Overall focus on the 2 stam trinkets and getting to 540 defense once there focus on getting a naxx 10 or 25 run going(the fastest way may be to lead it yourself) one trip through naxx and you should be set to start farming 10 man toc for a week or two as you gather more triumphs and frost badges to get ready to 25 man toc/icc 10.

CatabriOnEarthen
07-22-2010, 09:08 AM
Your glyphs are AWFUL. Well, 2 of them. Keep the vengeance, and get the other 2 cookie cutters..which in my sleep deprived state I can't think of.l

Shieldie
07-22-2010, 09:47 AM
consecration glyph is bad but i wouldnt call AS glyph awful.. just probably a hinderance for your level of content, would be better to go without it, the cookiecutter ones are glyph of divine plea, glyph of righteous defense, and glyph of seal of vengeance.

Id recomend taking a point out of conviction and putting it in seal of command, It will help you controlling adds, command is alot stronger than vengeance for tanking 3 or more adds

Exiledknight
07-22-2010, 02:04 PM
Glyph of AS is not awful, it is situational...awful would mean it has no use, like ever. It is an amazing glyph to swap with RD for Heroic Hallion, especially if you are tanking him in the fire realm and also handling the inferno.

dyjaack
07-22-2010, 08:46 PM
thanks for all the help guys! def rating is at 525 now. working on getting it to 540. Just got the cape from wyrmest. You guys rock!

dyjaack
07-23-2010, 03:51 AM
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Spinebreaker&cn=Dyjack

what do you guys think so far? I'm hoping its not bad for 2 days of work. =D