PDA

View Full Version : My experience as a DPS after tanking for so long.

Yobi1Kanobi
07-20-2010, 12:27 PM
Well I have been a warrior tank since my first time into Dead Mines and now in ICC. And well I love tanking. I love tanking so much that I can't really DPS with my Warrior. Hell I have just never practiced it. So I leveled my DK as an Unholy tank..why unholy just because I like people yelling at me that I'm tanking with the wrong spec. Just my way to amuse myself.

But now after I hit 80 I specced into Frost DPS and it is fun. Trying to beat out the other DPS on the board. Its like a little mini game for me. And I am getting better at it than I was on my warrior. But I have notice that there are a lot of tanks out there running dumb specs, dumb gear, dumb aggro control. Actually just plain DUMB.

I try and help them out and give them some pointers and they do care or don't think they are doing anything wrong. Anyone else run Tanks as their mains and run into this on their alts. Do you try and help them? Do you just laugh and call them Fails. It is pretty annoying.

thanks for listening,

Kazeyonoma
07-20-2010, 12:43 PM
This is indeed a common occurance, and while i'm sure you're dps is stellar now, i'm sure there were times when your dps on your dk, or as you said is bad when you're on your warrior, where people probably thought the same of you. It's all 360, we've all been in bad situations, take them as they come.

Moved to Off Topic.

Shieldie
07-20-2010, 12:49 PM
I generally dont notice this problem with pug warrior tanks but i have surely seen some terrible paladin and dk tanks. I inspect my tank (habit) at the start of each instance and i look for problems with gear / spec, but i usually dont say anything right away.. I sometimes run with a strange 'gimmick' tanking spec on my paladin while working on certain raid encounters.

so I always wait and see if the tank is struggling, I always try my hardest to be very supportive and try helping in a positive way (i.e. not "gtfo and l2p nub") But alot of the time, people get offended, and quickly turn into "YOU THINK YOU KNOW EVERYTHING ABOUT THE GAME, YOU ARE AN ELITIST ASS. IM JUST PLAYING TO HAVE FUN" kind of attitude. which I cant stand. YES im trying to help, YES im pretty sure I am more educated on the subject we are talking about, but in no way am I trying to ruin anyones 'fun'
people are quick to assume that anyone who knows how to play is some kinda nazi who wants to force everyone to do the same thing, thats not it at all.. i just dont like dying for no reason just because someone doesnt wanna take the time to learn the way the game works

sifuedition
07-20-2010, 12:50 PM
Yes. It is painfully common to see bad spec, gear, skill, attitudes, etc. I have gotten better when I see these things. It used to be compulsive for me to try to help these people and I am totally honest that I never flame. However, you have to come to realize that they have to want help or it does no good. Even if they say thanks and all is happy, most never paid any attention or changed a thing after the run.

Now, I ask. I do so in a wisper so they are not called out. I offer to give advice on gear/spec/pulls/whatever after the run if they want to stick around. The ones that stay after always express appreciation. I also fully believe they made changes after. Some act like they are receptive but leave immediately after. They wanted to be polite but had no interest in what I had to say and we both saved time.

Yobi1Kanobi
07-20-2010, 01:01 PM
Thats it I am not even talking about taking the fun out of it. Hey I have ran different specs on my warrior just to see if one works better in different places. Like that improved cleave.

Now don't get me wrong I have ran with some tanks that I have stole a trick from. I just taking about the tank that is just plain jane lost..And you try and help and your right he give you the ..I KNOW WHAT IM DOING STFU.

Errvalunia
07-20-2010, 01:32 PM
I'm levelling a prot warrior and a disc/shadow priest. The prot warrior, lvl 41, does ONLY dungeons. The spriest (lvl 46) will run around questing while in the q as dps. On my shadow priest I have learned the true meaning of "if you want something done right, do it yourself." I will get so frustrated with TERRIBLE tanks that I have to switch to my warrior if I want to do dungeons without hating everything and everyone.

It's always the warrior tanks. For some reason, either every bad paladin just gets away with it or all the baddies try levelling warriors and are failtanks. Like the warrior that cannot for the life of him hold aggro because he is using heroic strike and rend only. Or the warrior who is not in defensive stance using only auto-attack and thunderclap (for the first couple pulls he did 15-25 dps when I was doing 200+. Pathetic. On my warrior I do more dps than the dps do half the time). I try to whisper them and gently offer them advice, but half the time they just will not respond at all--you might as well be talking to a rock. 'Hey, are you in defensive stance? I'm sorry that I keep pulling off of you. Revenge and Shield Slam do a lot of damage and threat, do you use those?' and all I get in response is *crickets* while I continue to pull off the tank with one mind blast or--even more pathetically--pull targets that I'm not even touching because vampiric embrace gets me healing aggro.

Yobi1Kanobi
07-20-2010, 03:19 PM
I can see warriors being hard to grasp the idea of Tabbing around your mob while TCing and Cleaving. But I have been seeing others following suit. I am not saying I am perfect when I tank but hell I at least use all of my abilities. Except maybe intervene but thats just because I ran out of buttons on my toolbar. (yes i still use the one it came with)

Errvalunia
07-20-2010, 03:50 PM
I can see warriors being hard to grasp the idea of Tabbing around your mob while TCing and Cleaving. But I have been seeing others following suit. I am not saying I am perfect when I tank but hell I at least use all of my abilities. Except maybe intervene but thats just because I ran out of buttons on my toolbar. (yes i still use the one it came with)

At this point, I barely even bother to tab around. Yes, there are more abilities to use than a paladin (I tried going back to my lvl 33 paladin after getting my warrior to 40... SO BORING) but its not that complicated. If you mash shield slam, revenge, sunder armor, and cleave you can pretty much survive (especially levelling, before everyone has t10.5 and does massive AoE damage and threat)

Theotherone
07-20-2010, 04:35 PM
Happens all the time when I'm on my hunter or mage; I just don't say anything now. It's usually in radoms, so it's just get through it and be done. I liked the DK with 580 defense, gemming and enchanting for it and gemming parry. To each his own. On my Pally in my OS heal set, I have the mail helm off the lootship, someone pst'd me telling me I was a retard wearing shammy gear, just a gratuitous pst; oh well; guess the shammy's are retards using my healing shield off Marrowgar.

Muffin Man
07-20-2010, 05:51 PM
I started off playing a warrior exclusively through BC and most of LK, he was primarily a tank, but every now and then I'd run around as arms for a change of pace. Then I leveled a DK alt for dps fun.

You know what, I almost never notice bad tanking on my DK.

Why? He's unholy and has 3 usable cooldowns when I dps unlike my arms warrior who realistically has none (well one if weren't too lazy to make a shield swap/stance dance/shield wall macro... ugh)

Also he generates almost no threat! 15% goes to the ghoul, then he's actually got threat reduction talents and whenever I use a cooldown it doesn't generate any threat to me either (Gargoyle, army in raids). It's amazing! While my poor warrior is chugging along with 125% threat modifiers on execute...

So ya, it's got to be a really, really, really bad tank to get me killed while I'm on my dk, and it really only happens when I get too eager with pestilence / DnD before the tank is ready.

PatrikL
07-21-2010, 12:01 AM
There is such a huge difference in threat when it comes to frost DKs and unholy DKs. I used to play unholy before and overaggroing pug tanks almost never happened. Now as frost it is such a big problem that I often have to hold back. I'm mostly blaiming FS for it but when going with guild tanks it is never an issue.
And about bad tanks, on my realm the bad warrior ones are probably the most common. I suspect it is due to me beeing on a fairly new realm. I try beeing nice about it and tab around mobs a lot when dpsing to hand out the threat evenly.

Muffin Man
07-21-2010, 01:23 AM
I've been real curious about frost, but 1) it takes an entirely different set of weapons which I don't have (and possible gear to shave of hit and arp?) and 2) I wanted to play something as far removed as my proc based arms warrior.

Little did I know that I was also going form the highest aggro melee spec to the lowest as well.

But ya, Frost looks fun sometimes...

Fledern
07-21-2010, 01:39 AM
Most of the tank issues crop up because of dps toons getting a shield & queueing up as tank to avoid the queue. Since we so totally overpower all 5mans these days that it also doesnt matter. And pala tanking is so seriously easy to play that one has to really work hard to be bad at it. Warrior tanking otoh is the hardest and a clueless warrior can fast ruin your day.

I've found that a very objective generalized comment (no targeting of the tank) is usually taken well & fast. If it has to be a direct comment, i tend to whisper, it cuts down the refusals a lot.

Yobi1Kanobi
07-21-2010, 08:38 AM
I did hear about a fury warrior the other day in a regular dungeon with a 2hander and a shield. No need to say that this was a fail group. My buddy was the healer and he just could not believe it. He left party after the first wipe.

Rystrave
07-26-2010, 11:46 AM
I'd have to agree with you on that, Yobi. I've been tanking pretty much since level 35, and when I DPS I'm at a loss. Even using specific rotations and macros doesn't seem to help. Sometimes I do more DPS in my tank gear. Oh well. I love tanking. I'd much rather do it then anything else.